2007 Maxima (Update - Bought it!)

Started by Catman, April 09, 2007, 07:54:04 PM

Catman

Quote from: 565 on May 02, 2007, 11:38:47 AM
My gripe with CVT is that despite how fast it actually is, it just feels kinda sluggish.  I drove a Murano after my Pathfinder was nearly totalled, and it just felt rubberbandy (look i invented a word).  Then I rode around in an 2007 Altima while my buddy was shopping for cars, and in comparision to the 2007 Camry (both V6's)  it just didn't feel as sharp or fast.  Automatics already have a stretchy divider between the engine and the road (the torque converter) and the CVT seems to add another one.

Haven't noticed that one bit and I jumped right out of my 2002 with the reg auto.  All the reviews I've read seem to indicate the same. :huh:

Catman

chevyguy06

'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

Eye of the Tiger

Mmm... leather.

Have you topped it out yet? You got to break that sucker in!  :P
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Catman

Quote from: NACar on May 02, 2007, 03:58:26 PM
Mmm... leather.

Have you topped it out yet? You got to break that sucker in!  :P

Revvd it out a bit in manual mode.  Hit 100. :tounge:

SJ_GTI

Looks great Catman.

A guy I work with (and go out to lunch with most days) has an Altima and its clear why the Maxima is more expensive. That interior looks really good.

Catman

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 02, 2007, 04:51:07 PM
Looks great Catman.

A guy I work with (and go out to lunch with most days) has an Altima and its clear why the Maxima is more expensive. That interior looks really good.

Thanks.  Id say the interior in the Maxima is a bit better than the Altima in a couple areas but the new Altimas are good.  I prefer the dash in the old one but the new one is good, no complaints.  It's certainly different.  One thing the Maxima really is not is a "Four Door Sports Car".  It's really a large family sedan with an edge to it.  It's powerful and handles pretty good.  The IRS is a better than the old beam but overall the ride is fairly similar.  Weight bias is obviously front heavy and you can feel the imbalance when throwing it side to side.  Overall, I'd say it fills the bill as a large sedan without the boring characteristics that are associated with them. 

BTW, I'm liking that bluetooth!

The Pirate

That's an absolutely beautiful color!  Congrats.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Catman

nickdrinkwater

Congratulations.  I like the colour too.  That's a big car, looks very comfortable.

Catman

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 02, 2007, 06:17:54 PM
Congratulations.  I like the colour too.  That's a big car, looks very comfortable.

Definitely roomy but compared to my Sequoia it's a pea shooter. :tounge: 

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Catman on May 02, 2007, 06:22:45 PM
Definitely roomy but compared to my Sequoia it's a pea shooter. :tounge: 

:praise:  It's big compared to my car  :evildude:

Atomic

cat,

you're a new daddy (again)! i'm truly happy for you. you'll find out that the maxima is the BEST bargain on the road. PERIOD! the best kept secret on the road today.

my new maxi se defines me. i define it. my latest maxi fits my body like a glove. my 2000 max se is awesome, too. the two are so different, but are both four door sports cars! different character; same philosophy.

i've owned six in total!

welcome to the fraternity? :thumbsup: !!!

got the head rush yet, catman?

~ atomic, max, maxi

Eye of the Tiger

Did you know that Catman Performance (http://www.cattman.com/) is a performance parts supplier that specializes in Maximas?
:P
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Catman

Quote from: NACar on May 02, 2007, 07:47:49 PM
Did you know that Catman Performance (http://www.cattman.com/) is a performance parts supplier that specializes in Maximas?
:P

Oh yes.   :ohyeah:

mazda6er

Quote from: Atomic on May 02, 2007, 07:04:12 PM
cat,

you're a new daddy (again)! i'm truly happy for you. you'll find out that the maxima is the BEST bargain on the road. PERIOD! the best kept secret on the road today.

my new maxi se defines me. i define it. my latest maxi fits my body like a glove. my 2000 max se is awesome, too. the two are so different, but are both four door sports cars! different character; some philosophy.

i've owned six in total!

welcome to the fraternity  :thumbsup: !!!

got the head rush yet, catman?

~ atomic, max, maxi
Yeah, Catman, did he mention the seats are padded with craaaaaaack cocaaiiiine?! Cause they are! omg lol  :rockon:! Pop the trunk, it's full of herooooiiiine. zomg  :ohyeah:!

:nutty:

--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Atomic

Atomic

Quote from: mazda6er on May 02, 2007, 08:58:35 PM
Yeah, Catman, did he mention the seats are padded with craaaaaaack cocaaiiiine?! Cause they are! omg lol? :rockon:! Pop the trunk, it's full of herooooiiiine. zomg? :ohyeah:!

:nutty:

you'd be amazed 6'r  :mrcool: !

S204STi

Congrats Greg, you'll dig that car! :rockon:

Catman

Quote from: R-inge on May 04, 2007, 04:16:52 PM
Congrats Greg, you'll dig that car! :rockon:

See any issues with the CVT's at all.  I noticed the torque steer issue is hardly evident compared to my old 02. :ohyeah:

Atomic

Quote from: Catman on May 04, 2007, 04:44:48 PM
See any issues with the CVT's at all.? I noticed the torque steer issue is hardly evident compared to my old 02. :ohyeah:

i never noticed any problem with torque steer prior to my 2004 se. however, one merely needs to learn how to handle their new pre-cvt maxi. i no longer notice it in my '04. i either adjusted to it, or the vehicle adjusted to my driving style.

so you like the cvt? cool!

i almost purchased on '07 today. however, i didn't have my trade available, driving another car today. the $1,500.00 customer rebate has been extended, catman. the dealer only had two in stock. an se, in majestic blue without many options and a loaded sl in pebble beach; both about $5,000.00 off, not including the rebate! the only problem? i want a loaded se in either precision gray or winter frost. i love the maxi in sonoma sunset, but my 'o4 is candy apple red, officially called red opulence. naturally, i'd need to order one to get exactly what a want.

i like the salesperson. he just joined the nissan dealership after leaving honda, as the honda dealership in my community inherited many of that owner's gm salesmen who would have otherwise lost their jobs after the dealer gave up selling buick-pontiac-gmc products. i bring this up because this good man sold my parents their loaded 2007 accord ex. this man is so honest, he pulled my aside to inform me that june would be a better time to by an '07 maxima, as the deals will get even better. from our family experience with him at honda, we know that he is a rarity in the car bizz today. he gave my folks such an awesome deal, they cannot believe the dealer made a single cent. an the other hand, my parents traded in a pristine accord ex. there is a lot that can be said for owning a car with outstanding trade-in value, as you found out with your maxi.

a question of you, cat. do you like the frost leather, carpet and trim of your interior? i ask this, as my last three cars were custom ordered with charcoal leather. i did this to aviod a lighter color's tendency to show dirt -- especially it's carpet.

i cannot recall as i type away, is your exterior color precision gray or dark slate?

Catman

The exterior is Slate Gray.  As far as the frost interior I kind of liked the Black better in some ways but after having the 2002 I realize the black dash and seats do look dirty and wear in their own way so it might not make a difference.  I like the light interior in this one though.  Also, the black has a suede like material on the door panels and across the front of the dash where the frost is a different material thats kind of rubbery.  The 07 has a much nicer interior as it relates to the leather quality and aluminum trim which is actually real aluminum. :confused:

I drove the car again today and I think it was a great deal and we really like the car.  I would say it's one of the best touring cars out there for the money right now. 

Atomic

Quote from: Catman on May 05, 2007, 06:46:03 PM
The exterior is Slate Gray.? As far as the frost interior I kind of liked the Black better in some ways but after having the 2002 I realize the black dash and seats do look dirty and wear in their own way so it might not make a difference.? I like the light interior in this one though.? Also, the black has a suede like material on the door panels and across the front of the dash where the frost is a different material thats kind of rubbery.? The 07 has a much nicer interior as it relates to the leather quality and aluminum trim which is actually real aluminum. :confused:

I drove the car again today and I think it was a great deal and we really like the car.? I would say it's one of the best touring cars out there for the money right now.?

i imagine that there are few who do not understand our passion for our maximas, but one has to own one or more to truly appreciate the greatness of these vehicles. i've said it all along, the maxima is one of the best kept secrets out there. a few altima owners convinced me to drive their cars. there's no comparison whatsoever. in fact, i think i'd choose another car over the altima if i couldn't afford a maxi. the altima is mighty nice, but it's personality compares more to a mazda6 or even a sporty edition accord than to the mighty maxima; and as you know, the mazda and honda are both outstanding values and two of the greatest cars in their segment.

another queston, catman and others, are their any advantages to owning a maxima sl over an se?

can you give me your pros and cons of the two offerings?

Catman

Quote from: Atomic on May 05, 2007, 07:09:26 PM
i imagine that there are few who do not understand our passion for our maximas, but one has to own one or more to truly appreciate the greatness of these vehicles. i've said it all along, the maxima is one of the best kept secrets out there. a few altima owners convinced me to drive their cars. there's no comparison whatsoever. in fact, i think i'd choose another car over the altima if i couldn't afford a maxi. the altima is mighty nice, but it's personality compares more to a mazda6 or even a sporty edition accord than to the mighty maxima; and as you know, the mazda and honda are both outstanding values and two of the greatest cars in their segment.

another queston, catman and others, are their any advantages to owning a maxima sl over an se?

can you give me your pros and cons of the two offerings?

You are bordering on infatuation.  :nono: :tounge:  Personally, I like the SE better.  I preferred the aluminum trim, perforated leather and the 18" wheels.  The spoiler looks good too although it is available on the SL too.

Atomic

bordering  :confused: ? i'm there, dude  :thumbsup: . i've been a car guy since a child. regarding the nissan maxima, i keep getting calls from nissan brass, as i'm about to purchase my 7th maxi. they are afraid that i will defect. i write to the corporation whenever i have a question, concern or suggestion. after writing about my disappointment with the cost cutting measures of the 1996 model, i immediately heard from the company. i participated in special interviews, the unveiling of drawings and clay models and even traveled on nissan's tab for special test drives of prototypes and pre-production models.

i compained about the deletion of such unique features as cornering lamps that graced my favorite model, a 1990 limited edition sand beige maxima gxe (the ultra luxury version of it's ear). i was appauled when nissan decided to save costs by going to a less expensive, harder riding suspenion in the 2000 model year, as i recall; although it might have been sooner. all of my issues have since been addressed. was it me alone? no. i doubt that! i'd like to think others do what i do, if they wish for change.

in short, i won't accept mediocrity when spending so much money. as you know, i always encouage people to write to manufacturers when dissatisfied. if they want one's business, they will at the (very) least write back or call those who have and/or are considering to purchase one or more of their products.

glad you and your wife are enjoying the greatly improved upon maxima se for 2007  :tounge: !

cheers for your major purchase  :partyon: !!!

chevyguy06

I almost got a 99-03' bodystyle Maxima instead of the Grand Prix.
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

ifcar

Quote from: chevyguy06 on May 05, 2007, 07:58:40 PM
I almost got a 99-03' bodystyle Maxima instead of the Grand Prix.

That would be rather difficult.

1999:

2000:

:devil: