Would you rather...

Started by rohan, April 15, 2007, 09:18:27 AM

If you got stopped today for speeding 70 in a 45 zone and you have no other tickets on your driving record- what ticket would you want the officer to give you...

Speeding ticket for 3 points for 2 years and $55 bucks
1 (3.2%)
general violation ticket for 0 points $250
7 (22.6%)
energy ticket 3 points that drop off after 8 months and $150
1 (3.2%)
Locked up over night $30 fines
3 (9.7%)
Car tagged to inform other officers you were stopped- no other action that day
19 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8618.msg418640#msg418640 date=1176684395
Not an option for me, either.? But I do have a funny story about my drive today...

But then again, it could be an option if they raised the speed limits to reasonable levels.

While I was driving through Penn last monday, I noticed the highway speed limits were between 55-65, and that is absolutely ridiculous for perfectly straight highways!

I think we need to raise some of our fantastically low speed limits soon, cars have much higher limits than they did back when these low speed limits were introduced.

JYODER240

The only place I really have a problem with the speed limits being to low are on the highway. They could easily be 80 or 90, just make it illegal to pass on the right and to left lane camp.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT_Power

I'd choose "Slip the officer a bill for him/her and hope they let you go. If that doesn't work, get the shovel ready."
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

J86

Quote from: Raghavan on April 15, 2007, 05:55:23 PM
Catman, if you ever gave me a ticket, would you give me a headstart for me to get away from you? Man, a real cop pursuit would be fun.

Getting in a high-speed pursuit is one of those things I REALLY want to do, but have yet to figure out a way to do so without getting completely fucked for life....

The Pirate

Quote from: J86 on April 15, 2007, 09:33:59 PM
Getting in a high-speed pursuit is one of those things I REALLY want to do, but have yet to figure out a way to do so without getting completely fucked for life....

If you got car jacked, and the dude kept you on as hostage/driver, that would probably be the ticket...
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raghavan

Thatd be awesome. You wouldn't get punished because you were "fearing for your life" but in reality you would be having a blast. :lol:

J86

Quote from: The Pirate on April 15, 2007, 09:35:11 PM

If you got car jacked, and the dude kept you on as hostage/driver, that would probably be the ticket...

Not a bad idea!

Now I gotta go cruise the strip lookin' for insano-bank robber dudes with weapons!

The Pirate

Quote from: Raghavan on April 15, 2007, 09:36:39 PM
Thatd be awesome. You wouldn't get punished because you were "fearing for your life" but in reality you would be having a blast. :lol:

Haha, dude jumps in the car packing heat, and tries to scare you.  Josh is just like, "Buddy, you just made my day!  Where we going?!"
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT_Power

Quote from: The Pirate on April 15, 2007, 09:41:38 PM

Haha, dude jumps in the car packing heat, and tries to scare you.  Josh is just like, "Buddy, you just made my day!  Where we going?!"

:lol: :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

J86

Quote from: The Pirate on April 15, 2007, 09:41:38 PM

Haha, dude jumps in the car packing heat, and tries to scare you.? Josh is just like, "Buddy, you just made my day!? Where we going?!"

He'd probably just shoot me on principle :lol:

L. ed foote

Quote from: dazzleman on April 15, 2007, 11:04:36 AM
I'm due for a ticket too..... :pullover:

I'm waaaaaaaaay overdue  :devil:

I took the warning, gambling that I won't be caught again in such a short period of time  :praise:
Member, Self Preservation Society

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on April 15, 2007, 06:52:16 PM
So what's the story, man?

What would a reasonable speed limit be?  65 mph in residential zones and 140 mph on the highway?   :evildude:

I was driving back to school, and when I drive long distances on the highway, I take it pretty easy (15 over or so).  So this blue Mazda6 hatch blew past me, doing at least 90.  Then, a little later, a light blue Hyundai Sonata blew past me doing at least 95, maybe even 100.  About a half hour later, I saw some flashing lights, and as I went past it, there was a cop serving tickets to both cars at the same time!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8618.msg419702#msg419702 date=1176761088
I was driving back to school, and when I drive long distances on the highway, I take it pretty easy (15 over or so).? So this blue Mazda6 hatch blew past me, doing at least 90.? Then, a little later, a light blue Hyundai Sonata blew past me doing at least 95, maybe even 100.? About a half hour later, I saw some flashing lights, and as I went past it, there was a cop serving tickets to both cars at the same time!

:lol:
Hilarious.  It's always funny to see that happen.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: L. ed foote on April 16, 2007, 11:31:45 AM
I'm waaaaaaaaay overdue? :devil:

I took the warning, gambling that I won't be caught again in such a short period of time? :praise:

Foote, you're overdue for a ticket within a day of getting your last one.... :praise:

One time way back, I got busted twice within ten minutes, so maybe that wouldn't be such a good choice for me.... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

the nameless one

Quote from: rohan on April 15, 2007, 09:18:27 AM
Just curious- I've got a new guy to my shift who's been put here on a secondary roads grant by the state- he's out there banging away on the speeders and was just curious.? I'm not a big fan of the state government funding local police to only write tickets.? He cna't take any calls other than TC's and otherwise lend a hand to my patrol deps when they need it.
I don't see the problem. The reality is that there are far more traffic related citizens complaints than officers to respond to them. These grants allow the agencies to put some guys out there for  a few hours on OT or however the agency wants to handle staffing , so that these complaints can be responded to.
*Post consists of personal opinion only and does not constitute information released in an official capacity*

*   Heeyyyyyyyyyy did YOU know that you have NO First Amendment right to discuss ANYTHING even remotely related to your workplace? I didn't! I do now! Aint freedom grand? What is the point of a work-related internet forum if you can't legally DISCUSS anything work related? Maybe we can exchange baking recipes. What fun! *

* Don't look behind the curtain; don't dig too deep or ask too many questions; don't seek to expand your knowledge of how things REALLY work; "they" only want you to hear "their" official version of reality*

*"They " can be anyone. Take your pick. I know who MY "they" is. Who is yours?*

L. ed foote

Quote from: the nameless one on April 17, 2007, 10:39:00 AM
I don't see the problem. The reality is that there are far more traffic related citizens complaints than officers to respond to them. These grants allow the agencies to put some guys out there for  a few hours on OT or however the agency wants to handle staffing , so that these complaints can be responded to.

Welcome back, how are things in your neck of the woods?
Member, Self Preservation Society

the nameless one

Snow-covered.
I never left, just haunt the site.
*Post consists of personal opinion only and does not constitute information released in an official capacity*

*   Heeyyyyyyyyyy did YOU know that you have NO First Amendment right to discuss ANYTHING even remotely related to your workplace? I didn't! I do now! Aint freedom grand? What is the point of a work-related internet forum if you can't legally DISCUSS anything work related? Maybe we can exchange baking recipes. What fun! *

* Don't look behind the curtain; don't dig too deep or ask too many questions; don't seek to expand your knowledge of how things REALLY work; "they" only want you to hear "their" official version of reality*

*"They " can be anyone. Take your pick. I know who MY "they" is. Who is yours?*

Rupert

I'd prefer to pay a smaller $150 fine and just deal with points for a few months. A night in jail sounds like a funny idea, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually want to do it. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

heelntoe

would that night in jail go on your permanent record?
@heelntoe

Soup DeVille

Quote from: J86 on April 15, 2007, 09:33:59 PM

The Macomb County Sherrifs occasionally teach pursuit classes to newer officers at the same location that my local SCCA chapter does Solo I events: and they sometimes use civilian volunteers as 'rabbits.'

But there are still rules you have to follow when you do that too...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: heelntoe on April 20, 2007, 09:26:12 AM
would that night in jail go on your permanent record?

Is that the one where the "eraser incident" of Mrs. Kelly's 3 rd grade class is also recorded?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

In the grand scheme of things, 70 in a 45 does warrant a hefty ticket. Of course given the option, I'd take the warning sticker...

Vinsanity

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 23, 2007, 12:17:35 AM
The Macomb County Sherrifs occasionally teach pursuit classes to newer officers at the same location that my local SCCA chapter does Solo I events: and they sometimes use civilian volunteers as 'rabbits.'

But there are still rules you have to follow when you do that too...

so how do you volunteer to be a "rabbit"? :devil: ;)

Raza

I'm down for being the brown rabbit that the copper chase after.  How much damage am I allowed to cause?  Because, like a real rabbit, when I get cornered I lash out in uncontrolled violence and gunfire.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 23, 2007, 12:46:18 PM
so how do you volunteer to be a "rabbit"? :devil: ;)

Personal contacts mostly, I guess. Several of the Deputies are also avid members of the SCCA chapter that I frequent, and they've asked a couple of different drivers at different times to help out.

You use one of the cars they provide- which is usually some beat to crap thing forfeited for one reaon or another- and they use an older patrol car. And you'd better be prepared to take the PIT!

And you don't get total freedom either, you have to stay to the defined areas of the course, and you can't knock over the cones.

Raghavan

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 26, 2007, 09:42:37 PM
Personal contacts mostly, I guess. Several of the Deputies are also avid members of the SCCA chapter that I frequent, and they've asked a couple of different drivers at different times to help out.

You use one of the cars they provide- which is usually some beat to crap thing forfeited for one reaon or another- and they use an older patrol car. And you'd better be prepared to take the PIT!

And you don't get total freedom either, you have to stay to the defined areas of the course, and you can't knock over the cones.
Still, it sounds like fun!

Nebtek2002

You don't have "traffic school"? for a consequence which is the penalty for drivers with a minimum 2-year clean record? here in Nebraska. It costs roughly 3/4 the normal fine, but no points and your insurance never finds out.

You sit in a room and watch badly produced videos for two nights straight. The "instructor" stops these videos frequently to remind you to "Write this down. It's on the test."

Night 2 of the scam culminates in "The Test" which no one flunks, the handing out of certificates of successful completion, and admonitions that: (a) You can't do this again for 2 years. (b) Your next offense within 2 years will have this offense dragged up and tacked onto it.
(c) Your insurance will find out about BOTH offenses.

I went through this in '84 and again in '98.

The price of gas is saving me a third trip. I LOVE driving fast, but I hate buying gas at $3.399.

dazzleman

Quote from: Nebtek2002 on May 26, 2007, 10:32:54 PM
You don't have "traffic school"? for a consequence which is the penalty for drivers with a minimum 2-year clean record? here in Nebraska. It costs roughly 3/4 the normal fine, but no points and your insurance never finds out.

You sit in a room and watch badly produced videos for two nights straight. The "instructor" stops these videos frequently to remind you to "Write this down. It's on the test."

Night 2 of the scam culminates in "The Test" which no one flunks, the handing out of certificates of successful completion, and admonitions that: (a) You can't do this again for 2 years. (b) Your next offense within 2 years will have this offense dragged up and tacked onto it.
(c) Your insurance will find out about BOTH offenses.

I went through this in '84 and again in '98.

The price of gas is saving me a third trip. I LOVE driving fast, but I hate buying gas at $3.399.

My state requires 'driver retraining' if you get 3 tickets within 3 years, or something like that.

It brings no benefits from a driving record perspective.

In New York State, you can get 3 points taken off your license by taking the traffic school class.

I think the whole thing is BS.  In New York, it's so corrupt that many people get credit for the classes without even going.  And since there's no test, you can just sit there and sleep.