350Z vs S2000 Battle Royale, Dry Track this time

Started by 565, April 17, 2007, 10:29:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHTfCbDK-Mk

I guess this is what you get for not continuing to update your car.? After the 350Z made the pass, it just kept pulling and pulling away.

Raghavan

Well the S2000 is more of a handling car, whereas the Z is a high speed car, IMO.
The S2000 was great in the corners.

TBR

850CSi

I don't like torqueless engines, and I don't like the Z.

But I'd much rather have the Z.

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Champ

Should have raced the 350Z convert!

Besides that, both are fine cars, and the Honda doesn't really shine at high speeds.  I was always disappointed with my dad's on the highway (my car pulls away without much effort at all), but of course nothin beats it for fun at lower speeds and cruisin with the top down!

Raza

Honda and Toyota sort of have the same philosophy when it comes to sporting models (although Toyota's is more extreme).  Put out a sports car and then wait for the sales to dwindle and then eventually die.  Other than the 2.2L update, has anything happened to the S2000 to keep it competitive?  Honda much prefers to make sporty versions of its mainstream cars (like the RSX-S, Civic Si, TL-S) than to sell a dedicated sports model.

In any case, I never denied that the Z is a great car, handles wonderfully, and is plenty quick; it's just boring to drive, unless you're at the limit or beyond.  S2000 for me. 

Also, as I've said before, the Best Motoring method of testing cars is inferior to, say, Fifth Gear's Shootout method. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

sportyaccordy

The S2K is not much, if at all, faster than my current Accord...

But I'd rather the G than the Z... it carries the weight better. S for me

Catman

I would have thought the S2000 would have been able to dive deeper into the corners.  Obviously I was wrong.

MidnightDave

Fun vid, thanks for posting. I'm surprised they put a 'vert with a coupe, when there are 'verts available.

Did you notice how casual the Z driver was once he passed?

Finally, I just read in AW they're coming out with a "track" version of the S2K, maybe it will fair better even without a complete "update"?
2006 Lexus IS350 - bone stock wouldn't change a thing
2006 MINI Cooper S - For Sale!
2002 Toyota Tacoma - A man and his truck, it's a beautiful thing!

BimmerM3

As far as I'm concerned, these cars are in different classes. If I wanted a coupe, I'd get the 350z (obvoiusly, though I could always get a hardtop for the S2k). If I wanted a roadster, I'd get the S2000. I absolutely hate the 350z convertable, but then again, there are very few convertables that I like that weren't originally made to be convertables.