Saab 9-5
1 (2%)
Volvo S80
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 45

JYODER240

Quote from: ro51092 on May 13, 2007, 12:48:48 PM
TT I6 in the 335i and 535i

Thats right. I don't know how I forgot that.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SJ_GTI

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 13, 2007, 12:42:46 PM
The RL makes 290. The only V6's that make 300hp or more are the 3.5 in the IS350, the 335i/535i, and this amazing engine:

I thought the RL made closer to 280, and given the same HP the M35 was faster head to head anyway.

Keep in mind the Cadillac STS now makes 302 HP (on 87 octane fuel).

YO

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 14, 2007, 06:51:43 AM
I thought the RL made closer to 280, and given the same HP the M35 was faster head to head anyway.

Keep in mind the Cadillac STS now makes 302 HP (on 87 octane fuel).

... no the RL is quicker awd vs awd... the M is quicker with 2wd....

and check out all the head to heads the RL has been in... it's outhandled  (slalom/lat g) everyone with 17" wheels with all season tires vs the rest with 18"+ wheels with summer tires...
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

Champ

Quote from: YO on May 14, 2007, 07:38:57 AM
and check out all the head to heads the RL has been in... it's outhandled (slalom/lat g) everyone with 17" wheels with all season tires vs the rest with 18"+ wheels with summer tires...
Dang only with 17's?  Imagine how much it would blow away the competition with 22" deep dish!

SJ_GTI

Quote from: YO on May 14, 2007, 07:38:57 AM
... no the RL is quicker awd vs awd... the M is quicker with 2wd....

and check out all the head to heads the RL has been in... it's outhandled? (slalom/lat g) everyone with 17" wheels with all season tires vs the rest with 18"+ wheels with summer tires...

I couldn't find a recent test, but in 2005 the "300 HP" RL ran 0-60 in 7.3 seconds and the M35x ran 0-60 in 6.9 seconds according to this review:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=106555/pageId=64900

red_shift

I'm surprised to hear that M5 with the 6 speed does not allow DSC to be turned off. As I recall, when I began my test drive of the SMG M5, the first thing I did was turn DSC off, only to have the salesman cation me that they don't allow DSC to be off during test drives. I had to turn it back on.   

I side with Kayani on this one though. M5 is a very fast car, to properly enjoy it, you have to be super-quick and super-fast. That almost makes it necessary to have an SMG to quickly up and down shift. (however satisyfing a manual can be, drive an M5 real hard to appreciate how an SMG can improve your reaction times)

I however disagree with Kayani on this point: It's NOT smooth. Put it in automatic and drive around, you will need a chiropractor to massage your neck muscles at the end of the day. Only in level 5 and above on the 'sport' setting are the shifts satisfyingly quick. Level 1 or 2 , you will hit the button,
wait-wait-wait and then it shifts.
Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

GoCougs

Also add the MDX's 3.7L V6 to the 300hp+ club...

I voted for the GS; a GS350 AWD is specifically what caught my fancy in this poll.

The RL simply costs too much. It's not a $50k car. Many cars are its superior for equivalent or less money.

That said, I have warmed up to the RL as I see them on the road.

YO

Quote from: GoCougs on May 14, 2007, 02:54:52 PM
Also add the MDX's 3.7L V6 to the 300hp+ club...

I voted for the GS; a GS350 AWD is specifically what caught my fancy in this poll.

The RL simply costs too much. It's not a $50k car. Many cars are its superior for equivalent or less money.

That said, I have warmed up to the RL as I see them on the road.

... I guess I'm a little biased... I get to drive the Benz E Class and CLS often and come away unimppressed.  And looks wise the GS350 is still my favorite, the RL just offers more overall.  The SH-AWD set up allows for the best of both worlds. The steering is set up like a more traditional luxury sedan... not as tight or as much feedback as a 5 Series, and the ride is smooth and pleasant with the 17"s and all season treads. BUT, the SH-AWD makes up for the traditional set up by giving the RL superior handling numbers without the harsh/sporty ride charactoristics of some others. I drove an A-Spec RL for a few months with the upgraded wheel/tires/suspension. I feel in love with it. Unfortunately, there are probably ZERO A-spec RLs anywhere in the country.  And it's way too pricey.

Still my money... Benz CLS 550 all the way...BLING BLING
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

BENZ BOY15

ro51092

1 BAD 7

No you got it all wrong the latest is to go with smaller and more heavier wheels ;).

Imagine how much less the rotational mass would be with heavier 14" wheels vs those lighter 17". ROFL..... I bet we can reduce the acceleration, braking, lateral grip by enough margin to make RL run with E550 and 550i thanks to heavy small wheels: :nutty:

Quote from: Champ on May 14, 2007, 07:53:57 AM
Dang only with 17's?? Imagine how much it would blow away the competition with 22" deep dish!

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

850CSi

Quote from: red_shift on May 14, 2007, 12:26:47 PM
I'm surprised to hear that M5 with the 6 speed does not allow DSC to be turned off.

Transmission likely can't handle the power.

1 BAD 7

Even if we pretend YO is right SJ......why should the M35 be forced to have the same handicap. It is not Infiniti's fault that Acura RL only comes with AWD that has greater power saping character and additional mass. The fastest production version of M35 is faster then the fastest production version of Acura RL period. :ohyeah:

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 14, 2007, 09:53:10 AM
I couldn't find a recent test, but in 2005 the "300 HP" RL ran 0-60 in 7.3 seconds and the M35x ran 0-60 in 6.9 seconds according to this review:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=106555/pageId=64900

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

Yeah the biggest gripe people have with 6-speed manual is that it doesnot allow the DSC to be turned off. One can only increase the threash hold but not turn it off all the way. I think that was a big mistake on BMW's part. I have heard the reason is to allow tranny and it related other parts to hold up better over extend period of time. Because BMW suspected serious owner abuse with these manual tranny equipped M5.....which even in first place was not really intended for the car or the car itself designed arround it.

Redshift, I am not saying that the automatic mode is more smoother or even equaly smooth as the fastest manual mode of SMG in M5. Just that the SMG III automatic mode in its fastest setting was not as bad as the lower settings or even SMG II according to my experience with a 2006 BMW M5 6 months back. The worst for me was the earlier lower setting that caused a extensive jerks and extended lag in shifting. Moving from them to the fastest automatic setting improved the shift timing greatly and didnot make it seem as if it was taking for ever to shift. I thought it was decently smooth....now not as smooth as a refined 5-speed, 6-speed or 7-speed slush box automatics. But overall no where near as slow or jerky as the earlier SMG I or even SMG II. If you drive the M3 with SMG II and M5 with SMG III there is a huge difference in there overall smoothness and without a doubt you can tell how the SMG III is improved. Also the complete smoothness is very hard to achieve with SMG type tranny. Just take a look at the one Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati or any other maker offers. They will never be completely smooth in full auto mode. But turn them to there intended task of manual mode and soon you will have a big? grin factor :lol:.?

I know you are already aware that DSG works on a different principal then SMG kind of tranny.? So I will spare you the useless details. However, what I have heard is that BMW is working on bringing the DSG type tranny to its cars in very near future specialy after hearing gripes of how harsh and delayed full automatic mode of SMG I was in regualr model cars. I think this is to counter the MB and Lexus 7-speed and 8-speed auto slush boxes for overall performance and smoothness.

As for me I will be disappointed to see SMG go and strongly hope that BMW offers it in M cars. As it lends them a unique flavor. The DSG doesnot offer the pleasure of SMG type tranny in full/fastest manual mode where the shifts are furious and super fast making you feel one with the true nature of the car. I hope that DSG is only introduced in regualr models and not M models.

On the day we drove M5 I had just gotten out of a 645ci to BMW M5. Thus, the auto mode made me realize that M5 is meant to be driven in its proper manual setting of highest level and then only one can enjoy what this beast was meant to do in first place. :thumbsup:

Quote from: red_shift on May 14, 2007, 12:26:47 PM
I'm surprised to hear that M5 with the 6 speed does not allow DSC to be turned off. As I recall, when I began my test drive of the SMG M5, the first thing I did was turn DSC off, only to have the salesman cation me that they don't allow DSC to be off during test drives. I had to turn it back on.? ?

I side with Kayani on this one though. M5 is a very fast car, to properly enjoy it, you have to be super-quick and super-fast. That almost makes it necessary to have an SMG to quickly up and down shift. (however satisyfing a manual can be, drive an M5 real hard to appreciate how an SMG can improve your reaction times)

I however disagree with Kayani on this point: It's NOT smooth. Put it in automatic and drive around, you will need a chiropractor to massage your neck muscles at the end of the day. Only in level 5 and above on the 'sport' setting are the shifts satisfyingly quick. Level 1 or 2 , you will hit the button,
wait-wait-wait and then it shifts.

www.KayaniTravel.com

850CSi

I think a dual-clutch system is better than a sequential manual one.

red_shift

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on May 14, 2007, 05:07:51 PM
Yeah the biggest gripe people have with 6-speed manual is that it doesnot allow the DSC to be turned off. One can only increase the threash hold but not turn it off all the way. I think that was a big mistake on BMW's part. I have heard the reason is to allow tranny and it related other parts to hold up better over extend period of time. Because BMW suspected serious owner abuse with these manual tranny equipped M5.....which even in first place was not really intended for the car or the car itself designed arround it.

Redshift, I am not saying that the automatic mode is more smoother or even equaly smooth as the fastest manual mode of SMG in M5. Just that the SMG III automatic mode in its fastest setting was not as bad as the lower settings or even SMG II according to my experience with a 2006 BMW M5 6 months back. The worst for me was the earlier lower setting that caused a extensive jerks and extended lag in shifting. Moving from them to the fastest automatic setting improved the shift timing greatly and didnot make it seem as if it was taking for ever to shift. I thought it was decently smooth....now not as smooth as a refined 5-speed, 6-speed or 7-speed slush box automatics. But overall no where near as slow or jerky as the earlier SMG I or even SMG II. If you drive the M3 with SMG II and M5 with SMG III there is a huge difference in there overall smoothness and without a doubt you can tell how the SMG III is improved. Also the complete smoothness is very hard to achieve with SMG type tranny. Just take a look at the one Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati or any other maker offers. They will never be completely smooth in full auto mode. But turn them to there intended task of manual mode and soon you will have a big? grin factor :lol:.?

I know you are already aware that DSG works on a different principal then SMG kind of tranny.? So I will spare you the useless details. However, what I have heard is that BMW is working on bringing the DSG type tranny to its cars in very near future specialy after hearing gripes of how harsh and delayed full automatic mode of SMG I was in regualr model cars. I think this is to counter the MB and Lexus 7-speed and 8-speed auto slush boxes for overall performance and smoothness.

As for me I will be disappointed to see SMG go and strongly hope that BMW offers it in M cars. As it lends them a unique flavor. The DSG doesnot offer the pleasure of SMG type tranny in full/fastest manual mode where the shifts are furious and super fast making you feel one with the true nature of the car. I hope that DSG is only introduced in regualr models and not M models.

On the day we drove M5 I had just gotten out of a 645ci to BMW M5. Thus, the auto mode made me realize that M5 is meant to be driven in its proper manual setting of highest level and then only one can enjoy what this beast was meant to do in first place. :thumbsup:

I have not driven the E46 M3 with the SMG though I have driven it with the regular manual. M5 was the first SMG experience for me, actually. (I think that kind of explains my remarks) I think we agree that it's fast shifting in higher settings. Setting M5 in auto mode should strictly be reserved for the wife who cannot drive the manual.  :praise: (and then all you would get is nagging about how smooth the Accord is compared to the M5  :banghead:)

I certainly know what you mean when you say set it to the highest level and then just go. It's a crazy car, one that can alter your persona and all. I however felt it was not the car for me, mainly because I would be doing most of the driving, and most of the time I would feel like a bandit in a stolen car! Though I like that feeling, I don't want to feel like that all the time. :P For me, my little 3er will suit me fine for now! (not to mention the 50G I save by not going for the M5...)
Future is electric

red_shift

Quote from: 850CSi on May 14, 2007, 04:52:25 PM
Transmission likely can't handle the power.

I think so. Tranny likely came from the readily available parts bin.
Future is electric

850CSi

Quote from: red_shift on May 15, 2007, 10:56:29 AM

Especially since it was really an afterthought that BMW tossed in after widespread complaining and only for the US market.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 11, 2007, 07:30:38 AM

We get them as Honda Legends in Europe and I've seen only one so far (and it belonged to the local Honda dealership too! :lol:)

That probably is the only one in Europe.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ro51092

Quote from: red_shift on May 15, 2007, 10:56:29 AM

It did. It's the same one in the E39.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on May 14, 2007, 04:53:12 PM
Even if we pretend YO is right SJ......why should the M35 be forced to have the same handicap. It is not Infiniti's fault that Acura RL only comes with AWD that has greater power saping character and additional mass. The fastest production version of M35 is faster then the fastest production version of Acura RL period. :ohyeah:

If it makes any different, I've driven my dad's M35x, and it is extremely quick, and I am definitely willing to bet it's quicker than the RL.

YO

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on May 15, 2007, 09:07:06 PM
If it makes any different, I've driven my dad's M35x, and it is extremely quick, and I am definitely willing to bet it's quicker than the RL.

wah?? I've driven my mommies RL and I think it's faster!!!
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

ro51092

Quote from: YO on May 15, 2007, 10:32:47 PM
wah?? I've driven my mommies RL and I think it's faster!!!

Forget her car, I've driven your mom.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

omicron

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 15, 2007, 01:42:38 PM
:lol:

Don't laugh - that's probably the closest one to Australia, too.

YO

MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

SJ_GTI

red_shift

Future is electric