The new 535i are offering a lot more for the money

Started by 1 BAD 7, April 21, 2007, 12:32:59 AM

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 05, 2007, 12:18:06 PM
Nick, have you even read his posts in this thread? He's just trying to troll BMW without backing up his statements. Hell, even IFFY's let out a few on this guy.

I don't agree with a lot of it, but I don't think calling someone mentally challenged is any better really  :lol:.  You don't have to open his threads, in fact if you know you're not going to enjoy reading it, might as well save you time right?

1 BAD 7

Nick while you are at it can you ask him how I am effectively trolling for BMW. When we are not even comparing BMW to any other car brands in nearly last one and a half page. :lol:

All we have been arguing is wheel sizes & weight and rotational inertia/mass and different other aspects of plus sizing concept. Has this guy even been reading any of this stuff or he just love attacking me without even reading the posts :confused: :lol:

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 05, 2007, 12:18:06 PM
Nick, have you even read his posts in this thread? He's just trying to troll BMW without backing up his statements. Hell, even IFFY's let out a few on this guy.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

TheIntrepid

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 05, 2007, 12:24:43 PM
I don't agree with a lot of it, but I don't think calling someone mentally challenged is any better really  :lol:.  You don't have to open his threads, in fact if you know you're not going to enjoy reading it, might as well save you time right?

I accept the fact that calling him mentally challenged was a tad out of line. My apologies, Kayani.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raghavan

My auto teacher uses the lightest, smallest wheels he can find on his race cars, usually about 14". In auto crosses, where acceleration is crucial, small wheels with the weight closest to the hub is the most important.

Raza

Quote from: Raghavan on May 05, 2007, 03:06:27 PM
My auto teacher uses the lightest, smallest wheels he can find on his race cars, usually about 14". In auto crosses, where acceleration is crucial, small wheels with the weight closest to the hub is the most important.

For autocrossing, I think my friend runs 14" or 15" as well. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Yes, my Prelude has 15"s for performance reasons only, it has nothing to do with money.

TheIntrepid

I'm on 18s. My car came with 17s but I put 18"s from either hte Charger or teh Magnum on it.

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Danish

Man I wish I had seen this thread when it started, I would told Jordan and CHAMP that its not worth arguing with Kayani.

Kayani, please please please respond to this post, insult me, and write your reply above the post like Raza used to do at C/D.

I need a good laugh :lol:
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Submariner

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on May 05, 2007, 10:13:14 AM
What I dont get is why you feel the need to tell me that I should not put 11 wide wheels in rear. :huh:

I know your daddy's got a torque monster and you cant stop bragining about it. But that doesnot mean that only he has a right to upgrade his wheels. By the way I think he would benefit more from going with 11 inch wide wheels as 10.5 inch is only half an inch more width vs stock. That is assuming that he had 10" wide rears from the factory on it to begin with.

First 335 Ib-ft of torque and 325hp is nothing to sneez at. It is very healthy and with DSC completely off can easily spin the 19 X 10 rears with 275/40 aspect ratio tires. I could have gone with 10.5 inch wide wheels in rear and even thought about doing it. But the fact of the matter is that the 10.5 inch wheels only came with 5" lip in rear and I wanted 6" wide lip. Which made me go even more with the 11 wide wheels. I love the fact that I did that as they look far more aggressive and sexy. Also the 11 inch width allows me to go with much bigger contact patch. I plan to get the inside of the fender trimmed a bit by a good shop this summer. So that in future when I buy new set of tires I can go with upgrade to 305-315 range tires vs 295.

Also for your comment about 4400 Ib 745i and what is the point of making it corner better makes no sense to me. Why did your dad buy a 400 plus hp S600 with over congested roads of today and 70mph speed limit. Do you really need all that power to just reach 70 mph. Maybe you dont realize that people do things because they want to and because they like it that way. After all you upgrading your 7 er with few mods were not planing on going to break any speed records or were you. But you did it any way because you wanted to and thought you like how it drives now vs how it drove stock. ;)

If I wanted to I could have bought a sports car. But I wanted a fast and capable sporty luxury sedan and not a sports car to start with. As it allows me to have the best of both worlds. It is a very nice luxury sedan and it has great sporty feel. Oh and without a doubt BMW 7 series is the equal of sports car among its class. If you dont believe me go read a few reviews each review will echo the same thoughts that the steering feel, and handling as well as acceleration is excellent for the car of this size. This thing can nearly run the figure 8 track in dead heat with much smaller and lighter BMW 330i. It is no slacker when it comes to handling and sporty feel. Yes it weights 4400 Ib but it does an excellent job of hiding its weight on twisty roads.

I hope that you got the answers to your questions.   

I hardly brag about it.  No more than you gawk about your 7.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Champ

Ok this is my last shot even though I already gave up.

QuoteOnce again I know where most of the metal is on 22" wheel. But maybe you dont realize that even far more metal that weighs a lot more is sitting on the edge of the 19" wheels vs the 22" wheels. Thus more mass in 19" is sitting towards the outside vs the 22". Just because you cant see that doesnot mean it is not true. The 19" weigh good 4-5 Ib more and carry most of that extra weight towards the outside. So weight dist% for 19" and 22" could be effectively the same as 19" are carrying more mass away from the hub. rolleyes
You forgot to realize the whole physics thing, and now you just ventured into missing "simple math."  Based on the picture of the rim you posted, almost the entirety of the metal is on the very outer edge. (Which is GREATER than 19" in the first place!!!!! They already CAN'T have less rotational inertia than the 19's)

Look at my bold part.  Read it, think about it, then read it again, then think some more.  the 19" CAN'T carry more mass away from the hub because it's only 19"!!!  The majority of the mass on your 22" doesn't even start UNTIL 19"!!!!

And really instead of arguing about this, you should just go dyno the two sets of wheels.  I suspect you would probably want to do that anyways.  I know I would if I spent $6k on a set of tires, I would certainly spend the extra $50-$100 for a dyno session to see what kind of gains/losses were made.  (you will have a power loss to the wheels).

Last:  Why didn't you just buy a lighter 19" or 20"?  Then you would have gotton a way bigger benefit, and most likely cheaper, more rim protection (lord I hope you live south of the snow belt), and better performance.

Eye of the Tiger

Don't waste your time Champ, you're making exactly the same argument I did.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Submariner on May 06, 2007, 12:00:34 AM
I hardly brag about it.  No more than you gawk about your 7.

QFT. :clap:

:wtf: is wrong with Kayani?!

850CSi

Every time I read this thread's title I feel like going "Are they really?"  :lol:

Submariner

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 07, 2007, 03:44:38 PM
QFT. :clap:

:wtf: is wrong with Kayani?!

:praise:

I sincerely get the impression his 4 year old kid sneaks onto his account and posts random gibberish.

Then again...

Submariner

Quote from: 850CSi on May 07, 2007, 04:38:03 PM
Every time I read this thread's title I feel like going "Are they really?"  :lol:

:P

ChrisV

Actually the accelleration is improved because the small wheels and tires give a shorter overall gear ratio. That's the secret.

And i can't believe you guys are arguing over wheel weights without factoring in the weight of the TIRES. A larger diameter wheel will also have a tire with a shorter sidewall, therefore reducing the weight of the tire. And that weight is normally at the outermost portion, offsetting the added weight of the wheel to some degree, especially when discussing wheels that are say one to three inches different in diameter.

Ever pickup a tall sidewall 15 or 16 inch tire, like a 70-75 series? then pick up a similar width 50-45 series version? With less sidewall, there is less weight. And the tires usually weigh as much as or more than the wheels themselves.

Factor that in before arguing about a fraction of a percent of mass of the rim out away from the hub.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

JYODER240

Quote from: ChrisV on May 08, 2007, 07:46:41 AM
Actually the accelleration is improved because the small wheels and tires give a shorter overall gear ratio. That's the secret.

And i can't believe you guys are arguing over wheel weights without factoring in the weight of the TIRES. A larger diameter wheel will also have a tire with a shorter sidewall, therefore reducing the weight of the tire. And that weight is normally at the outermost portion, offsetting the added weight of the wheel to some degree, especially when discussing wheels that are say one to three inches different in diameter.

Ever pickup a tall sidewall 15 or 16 inch tire, like a 70-75 series? then pick up a similar width 50-45 series version? With less sidewall, there is less weight. And the tires usually weigh as much as or more than the wheels themselves.

Factor that in before arguing about a fraction of a percent of mass of the rim out away from the hub.

His new tires weigh more than the ones he had on from the factory.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

ChrisV

how much more, and do you have proof that the sidewalls are taller? Or that the width offsets the reduction in sidewall height?

the point is when arguing wheel weights, you HAVE to factor in tires and the fact is, most larger diameter wheels end up with lighter tires when the overall diameter of the tire doesn't change much (like going from a 17 or 18 to a 20 inch wheel). So arguing about the added weight of the rim is moot.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

JYODER240

Quote from: ChrisV on May 08, 2007, 07:56:23 AM
how much more, and do you have proof that the sidewalls are taller? Or that the width offsets the reduction in sidewall height?

the point is when arguing wheel weights, you HAVE to factor in tires and the fact is, most larger diameter wheels end up with lighter tires when the overall diameter of the tire doesn't change much (like going from a 17 or 18 to a 20 inch wheel). So arguing about the added weight of the rim is moot.

earlier in this thread he gave the weight differnences of the new tires. They're wider than the stock tires which is most likely where the extra weight comes from.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

1 BAD 7

Everyone knows the smaller and lightest possible wheels will have advantage over the heavier and bigger wheels except in case of lateral acceleration.

But here we are not arguing that fact. We are arguing the fact that smaller but heaveir wheels are better or lighter & larger wheels are better. In which case me and Chris V believe that lighter but larger wheels will be better then heavier yet smaller wheels. ;)

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

You hardly brag about it is an under statement. I can clearly tell you are daddy's boy who loves to brag about his daddy. But then again at your age.......

Quote from: Submariner on May 06, 2007, 12:00:34 AM
I hardly brag about it.? No more than you gawk about your 7.

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

LOL.....I was in a hurry when I wrote the thread title. But as long as you got a good laugh it ok :rockon:

Quote from: 850CSi on May 07, 2007, 04:38:03 PM
Every time I read this thread's title I feel like going "Are they really?"? :lol:

www.KayaniTravel.com

ro51092

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on May 08, 2007, 07:26:19 PM
You hardly brag about it is an under statement. I can clearly tell you are daddy's boy who loves to brag about his daddy. But then again at your age.......

1. I does know how speak Inglish. You do?
2. When has Sub bragged about his E38? He hardly even talks about it.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on May 08, 2007, 07:26:19 PM

What the hell is wrong with you? He doesn't even TALK about his car. Secondly, his dad helped him with his car but he has to pay him back. Zach's parents DEFINITELY know how to raise their kid. He gets to live in a nice house but he has to pay beastly amounts of rent. The guy works his ass off to live the life he does. What do you have, a travel company scam?

1 BAD 7

Quote from: Champ on May 06, 2007, 02:55:57 AM
Ok this is my last shot even though I already gave up.
You forgot to realize the whole physics thing, and now you just ventured into missing "simple math."? Based on the picture of the rim you posted, almost the entirety of the metal is on the very outer edge. (Which is GREATER than 19" in the first place!!!!! They already CAN'T have less rotational inertia than the 19's)

Once again no and no. I clearly understand what you are trying to say but you are not factoring in what I am trying to tell you. The weight of the 22" wheel is appx. 5 Ibs less overall then the heavier 19" wheels. The 19" wheels are carrying most of that extra 5 Ib towards the outside just by looking at the pic in same way you are looking at the pic of the 22". Second the overall diameter thanks to 22" tires has changed by a margin that is insiginficant compared to the 19" wheels/tires. Thus, the overall weight has not increased towards the outside and neither has the rotational mass. So please take your own advice and read and then read again and if you still dont understand go do some reasearch on plus size concepts. Also keep in mind that most plus sizing concepts tell you of benefits of going with larger wheels without even factoring in that they could be lighter then the smaller wheels.

Look at my bold part.? Read it, think about it, then read it again, then think some more.? the 19" CAN'T carry more mass away from the hub because it's only 19"!!!? The majority of the mass on your 22" doesn't even start UNTIL 19"!!!!

Wrong again. The outside loop in all actuality is lighter then the center portion made of spokes and bolts etc.. These spokes end well before they reach 22". As the lip is of fat lip technology that gives the apparance of the lip to be thick yet superlight weight. ;)..........once again I think I am talking over your head or you on purpose are not trying to understand the concept.

And really instead of arguing about this, you should just go dyno the two sets of wheels.? I suspect you would probably want to do that anyways.? I know I would if I spent $6k on a set of tires, I would certainly spend the extra $50-$100 for a dyno session to see what kind of gains/losses were made.? (you will have a power loss to the wheels).

First of I am not the one that is arguing it is you and .JYODER240 and few other sour and childish fellow members. Jyoder240 is the one making ignorant and rude and false claims without knowing anything about my wheels that they are HEAVY ASS Wheels compared to my stock 19" :rolleyes:.?

Seriously my question to you guys is do you have nothing better then to hate on others. Because you all could sure make a profession out of it :confused:.

Last:? Why didn't you just buy a lighter 19" or 20"?? Then you would have gotton a way bigger benefit, and most likely cheaper, more rim protection (lord I hope you live south of the snow belt), and better performance.

Now out of the all the comments so far this is the one that is most valid and I agree.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 08, 2007, 07:39:21 PM

What the hell is wrong with you? He doesn't even TALK about his car. Secondly, his dad helped him with his car but he has to pay him back. Zach's parents DEFINITELY know how to raise their kid. He gets to live in a nice house but he has to pay beastly amounts of rent. The guy works his ass off to live the life he does. What do you have, a travel company scam?

Don't argue with him, the four giagantic gyroscopes he put on his car must be generating some kind of force field that keeps any sort of logic from passing in or out.
:loopy:

ArchBishop

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 08, 2007, 07:39:21 PM

Rabid Intrepid to the rescue.  :rolleyes:

SVT_Power

are alot of posts missing from this thread or is it just me
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna