Edmunds: LS600h L is "tough to justify"

Started by ifcar, April 21, 2007, 07:45:38 AM

850CSi

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

AWD is heavy and saps power, and for lower power applications you don't really even need it.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raghavan on April 24, 2007, 06:09:57 PM
AWD is heavy and saps power, and for lower power applications you don't really even need it.

... unless you insist on using summer-tires and you live on an ice-rink.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on April 24, 2007, 11:59:23 AM
The LS460 isn't a rebadge of any Toyota. Neither is the IS350 or the GS430/450h.

The GS is a reengineered Avalon.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

JYODER240

Raghavan

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 24, 2007, 07:29:54 PM
The GS is a reengineered Avalon.
Right, the RWD car is based on an FWD one, right? :rolleyes:

TheIntrepid

rjm

ifcar

Depends on whether the 2005 Avalon was redesigned on the 2002-2006 or the 2007 Camry/ES platform. But it's definitely closer to the truth.

JYODER240

I know the Avalon is FWD and the GS is AWD/RWD but I swear that I read somewhere that they are based on each other. Either way they share some componets.

Raghavan

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 24, 2007, 07:54:56 PM
I know the Avalon is FWD and the GS is AWD/RWD but I swear that I read somewhere that they are based on each other. Either way they share some componets.
I bet the Z and Maxima share SOMETHING but they aren't based off of each other.

ifcar

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 24, 2007, 07:54:56 PM

Same V6, but that's it.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raghavan on April 24, 2007, 07:55:42 PM
I bet the Z and Maxima share SOMETHING but they aren't based off of each other.

No kidding Sherlock :rolleyes:

I'll try to find where i read it, it might have been some literature from work but I don't really remember it was awhile ago.

TheIntrepid

Raghavan

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on April 24, 2007, 07:56:44 PM
Same V6, but that's it.

Yes, but almost all Toyotas now share that 3.5. The Camry, Avalon, Sienna, IS350, ES350, GS350, RX350

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 24, 2007, 07:57:53 PM
No kidding Sherlock :rolleyes:

I'll try to find where i read it, it might have been some literature from work but I don't really remember it was awhile ago.

You're supposed to say "No shit, Sherlock", because it rhymes. Duh.? :rolleyes:

ifcar

Quote from: TheIntrepid on April 24, 2007, 07:58:45 PM
Yes, but almost all Toyotas now share that 3.5. The Camry, Avalon, Sienna, IS350, ES350, GS350, RX350

I know. So?

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on April 24, 2007, 07:59:47 PM
I know. So?

Sorry; I thought you were trying to say that just because they share the engine they're a very similar car. My mistake.

Tave

Quote from: NACar on April 24, 2007, 07:59:44 PM
You're supposed to say "No shit, Sherlock", because it rhymes. Duh.? :rolleyes:

:confused: It rhymes? Are you sure about that?

I think the word you're looking for is "alliteration."  :ohyeah:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

850CSi

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 24, 2007, 07:30:14 PM
Why's that?

Don't know, he'll probably come up with some ridiculous excuse having to do with "Canadian Winters".

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Tave on April 24, 2007, 08:02:23 PM
:confused: It rhymes? Are you sure about that?

I think the word you're looking for is "alliteration."? :ohyeah:

Tomato, Potato. Rhyme, schmime. Bananas, pajamas. Alliteration, obliteration.   :P

rjm

Quote from: NACar on April 24, 2007, 08:03:54 PM
Tomato, Potato. Rhyme, schmime. Bananas, pajamas. Alliteration, obliteration.? ?:P

Which is not to be confused with onomatopoeia.

Tave

Quote from: rjm on April 24, 2007, 08:07:54 PM
Which is not to be confused with onomatopoeia.

That's FUCKED UP!

I know you were just joking but I heard those EXACT SAME words 6 hours and 15 minutes ago. Talk about deja vu!
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

rjm

Quote from: Tave on April 24, 2007, 08:34:38 PM
That's FUCKED UP!

I know you were just joking but I heard those EXACT SAME words 6 hours and 15 minutes ago. Talk about deja vu!

Sorry.  Just popped into my head!

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 24, 2007, 01:47:35 PM
Wimmer, I think where we all disagree with you on is the importance of past events. Hitler-sponsored racing innovations from 70 years ago have little to no bearing on today's product line. the mentality of placing that much importance on pedigree and history is essentially a caste system for cars: outdated and irrelevant.

The past is the past. Time to move on. ;)

I can't accept that.

You're essentially telling me that Lexus is on the same level as Mercedes-Benz from a prestige POV simply because they offer a superior product. In my book, this doesn't work that way.

What are we going to do about the great past achievements of Mercedes-Benz? Just forget about them? We're just going to say that Lexus is on the same level as Mercedes-Benz because they offer leather and an 8-speed automatic but are $1 million cheaper or something? Doesn't work that way in my book. Those achievements and that history is what made Mercedes a great brand. Lexus achievements cannot be compared to Mercedes.

Mercedes-Benz was an innovator, Lexus was a copier. At a time when the automobile was new, when safety features and this and that had not been developed, Mercedes-Benz was a pioneer in almost all fields whether it be engine technology, safety etc. Fast forward to 1989, Lexus is created by Toyota. Do they have to worry about safety? Or engine technology? Or this or that? No, because it has already been invented. Lexus doesn't have to invent it, they simply can afford to take it and improve on it, whatever it is. Get what I am saying? Lexus has had it so easy. Unfairly easy I should add. Their quick route to success means nothing to me, especially considering that they're significantly cheaper.

And all of a sudden Lexus is on the same level as Mercedes from an image POV because of being successful in the USA? I cannot accept that because to me, as someone who judges brand prestige based on history and achievements and global desireability, a Lexus is not even in the same class image wise as a Mercedes or a BMW or even a Skoda or Fiat.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

In the US, it doesn't matter who's done something the longest, it matters who's doing it the best right now as long as there's enough history for name recognition and trust.