Edmunds: LS600h L is "tough to justify"

Started by ifcar, April 21, 2007, 07:45:38 AM

850CSi

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 28, 2007, 09:47:32 AM
Outside of the rear tail light from the side profile view, how else is the LS a "blatant 7-Series" imitation? So basically Lexus is an imitation brand based off of 1 car? I see...in that case, is the latest S-Class a "blatant imitation" of the Ford Focus? I mean good lord, look at those headlights! The wheel arches! Rip off! I'll have to find pictures, but there is an M-B SUV that looks strikingly similar "proportionally" to the Toyota Highlander as well.

First of all, you have to be blind to claim that the LS doesn't bear an enormous resemblance to the E65 7-Series... the side profiles are almost identical.

Second, I didn't say that makes "an imitation based off of 1 car", I haven't put words into your mouth, and I would appreciate the same courtesy.

850CSi

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 28, 2007, 12:16:43 PM
I don't blame Raza one bit, despite our philisophical differences, for never buying a BMW. No matter how good the cars are, the owners really rub s**t all over the brand.

:rolleyes:

I would love to see someone actually prove this, because, myself excluded (as I cannot judge my own character), the current and former BMW owners on this forum are some of the nicer guys on here.

Raza

Man, how did I get drawn back into this?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Quote from: 850CSi on April 28, 2007, 07:50:36 PM

I would love to see someone actually prove this, because, myself excluded (as I cannot judge my own character), the current and former BMW owners on this forum are some of the nicer guys on here.

Personally, I think you're a huge douche-bag.  :evildude:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on April 28, 2007, 07:50:36 PM

You've never ever seen another BMW on the road, have you?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

I haven't noticed that BMW drivers have any worse attitudes than other luxury car buyers.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Submariner

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 28, 2007, 08:55:05 PM
I haven't noticed that BMW drivers have any worse attitudes than other luxury car buyers.

I have a few stories...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

JYODER240

Quote from: Submariner on April 28, 2007, 09:00:40 PM
I have a few stories...

Of course, but i'm sure there's just as many stories with Lexus, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc drivers.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

chevyguy06

A prick is going to be a prick, whether they drive a BMW or a Daewoo.
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

Raza

Quote from: chevyguy06 on April 28, 2007, 10:14:54 PM
A prick is going to be a prick, whether they drive a BMW or a Daewoo.

BMWs give people a sense of entitlement.  They feel it's their right to be an asshole.  And the exercise it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

chevyguy06

I wouldn't think it would just be BMWs, but luxury car drivers in general. It's not like BMWs are the ultimate cars.
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

Raza

Quote from: chevyguy06 on April 28, 2007, 10:29:10 PM
I wouldn't think it would just be BMWs, but luxury car drivers in general. It's not like BMWs are the ultimate cars.

It's the worst with BMW drivers.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

chevyguy06

I don't really think it is...like someone said before, you're going to have nice BMW drivers and asshole BMW drivers. It's not based on what car you drive, but just that person in general.
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

850CSi

If you really judge someone based on the brand of car they drive, you're either a fucking stupid moron or a douchebag. Take your pick.

850CSi

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8718.msg432853#msg432853 date=1177812706
You've never ever seen another BMW on the road, have you?

No, never. I live on a farm and there isn't a single BMW for hundreds of miles.

850CSi

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8718.msg433015#msg433015 date=1177820440
BMWs give people a sense of entitlement.? They feel it's their right to be an asshole.? And the exercise it.

And owning a Mercedes or any other expensive prestige-brand car doesn't.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on April 28, 2007, 11:27:18 PM
And owning a Mercedes or any other expensive prestige-brand car doesn't.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nothing like the assholeishness involved with owning a BMW.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

Quote from: ro51092 on April 28, 2007, 01:55:20 PM
3. Wimmer, do you seriously think anyone who buys a Benz actually knows jack shit about the 540K, or Stirling Moss, or the Mille Miglia, or Targa Florio? I think not.

I don't expect them to know these things. For the record, I am just mentioning past achievements of Mercedes to demonstrate how they have more prestige than Lexus. Always have and always will. It's that simple to me.

Quote from: ro51092 on April 28, 2007, 01:55:20 PM5. Mercedes' aren't exactly the sportiest things around. I bet an IS350 is sportier than a C-class.

Are you talking about the W203 or W204? Because the W204 is pretty improved in the sports department while still offering impressive comfort. The W203 C-Class sold well, despite being very unsporty prior to the facelift.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: ro51092 on April 28, 2007, 01:56:29 PM
Oh yeah, and I read that the 8-speed is an improvement. I think the 7G-Tronic is just an improvement over the first ZF 6AT, which was in turn an improvement over a 5AT, and so on.

Adding another cog to a transmission is not an innovation, it's an improvement. I thought I said that earlier?  :confused:

The invention of the automatic transmission (I think that honor goes to Cadillac) was an innovation. The adding of extra gear cogs isn't.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

omicron

Marketers of the world are all delighting in the fact that everyone is licking up their propaganda.

ro51092

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 29, 2007, 12:10:28 PM
Adding another cog to a transmission is not an innovation, it's an improvement. I thought I said that earlier?  :confused:

The invention of the automatic transmission (I think that honor goes to Cadillac) was an innovation. The adding of extra gear cogs isn't.

Then, other than stuff like PRE-SAFE and other BS like that, what has Mercedes innovated in the last 10 years?

BTW, I think MB is more prestigious than Lexus, but most people around here don't think so. Maybe it's because the interiors on Lexuses look nice compared to the MB's?

versus

(Personally, I don't care, and I think they both look awesome, but people tell me about how awesome Lexus interiors are.)

cawimmer430

Quote from: ro51092 on April 29, 2007, 12:39:43 PM
Then, other than stuff like PRE-SAFE and other BS like that, what has Mercedes innovated in the last 10 years?

BTW, I think MB is more prestigious than Lexus, but most people around here don't think so. Maybe it's because the interiors on Lexuses look nice compared to the MB's?

(Personally, I don't care, and I think they both look awesome, but people tell me about how awesome Lexus interiors are.)

Mercedes has done a lot over the last 10 years, I'm too tired to name them all but let's just mention PRE-SAFE, BLUETEC and NANOLACK for now.

Lexus interiors are some of the most overrated in the industry. I personally think the only beautiful Lexus interior is fund in the GS and ES. They look HQ. The LS460, which I recently checked out seems cheap as hell compared to the GS. Don't get me started on the IS.
:devil:

BTW, basing prestige on interiors is pretty stupid.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

The Pirate

FYI ro51092, Lexus interiors are awesome!  I don't know if anybody has ever told you that before, so now you know.

:lol:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ro51092

The Pirate

Quote from: ro51092 on April 29, 2007, 12:44:46 PM
What the hell is NANOLACK?

It's a scratch resistant paint process, IIRC.

That blue S class AMG posted a few days back had it.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ro51092 on April 29, 2007, 12:44:46 PM
What the hell is NANOLACK?

Nanolack is a more resistant (to scratches and microscopic tears) car coloring laquer. It debuted on the facelifted E-Class if I recall correctly.

For some reason, all the links I get in Google are in German. Can you read German?  :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ro51092

Didn't Nissan come out with something like that a few years ago?

The Nails concept.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ro51092 on April 29, 2007, 12:57:32 PM
Didn't Nissan come out with something like that a few years ago?

The Nails concept.

What does this car have to do with scratch resistant metal lacquer?  :P

www.wimmerfotografie.de

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 29, 2007, 12:49:37 PM

For some reason, all the links I get in Google are in German.

Because no-one outside Germany has ever heard of it  :devil: