Ranger/B, Tacoma, Colorado

Started by SaltyDog, April 22, 2007, 08:14:13 PM

SaltyDog

Quote from: Pancor on April 26, 2007, 05:02:13 PM
Please, get at least the smallest V6.  I use my old man's 4 cyl Ranger a lot, and it really isn't bad except for one thing: LACK OF POWER!   Honestly, towing an empty trailer, I have found myself pedal-to-the-metal just to maintain a steady 90 km/h (55mph).  The fuel economy on highway jaunts sucks, too.  Get the V6!

Yeah, I hear you.  I have a feeling I can live with it, but I'll make sure to get a test drive and see for sure.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

SaltyDog

Quote from: R-inge on April 26, 2007, 04:59:27 PM
I think you can get a Nissan Frontier with a 4cyl, and a six speed. 

If I got a Frontier it would have to be used.  New Frontiers start much higher in price for some reason, and it's "AccesCab" is standard.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

ifcar

Quote from: R-inge on April 26, 2007, 04:59:27 PM
I think you can get a Nissan Frontier with a 4cyl, and a six speed. 

Forgot that one, but my point stands.

Nebtek2002

My 9 1/2 year old ,97 Ranger is probably good for another 9 1/2.

I have the "old" 2.3 4-cyl., basically the '72 Pinto motor with all the bugs worked out, including the oil leaks. This is the only Ford I've had that's gone 110K+ miles without burning or leaking any oil between changes.I've had good luck with previous Fords on the oil BURNING front, but OMG what oil LEAKS? some of them had!!

Fully loaded down with about a half-ton of magazines and running AC, the old 2.3 does need to be nearly floored to get it going from a dead stop, but once underway, it will maintain speed.

The "new" 2.3 is rated at about 30 more hp. It should be more than adequate.

In 1998, Ford stretched the wheelbase 4", giving the cab some much-needed storage room. The frame was also beefed-up some.

My only 2 repairs under the warranty were an O2 sensor and a battery--both of which were promptly takencare of by the dealers nearest me when the problems arose, neither of which sold me the vehicle. No dealer complaints here!

The starter went out in 2003.

Otherwise, it's just buy gas every 300 miles, change oil/lube chassis every 4000 miles (splitting the difference between "normal" and "severe"), flush the radiator and replace serpentine belt every 3 years and timing belt every 6 years. This has been an extremely cheap vehicle to maintain.

Every other week, when the vehicle is used nearly exclusively for commuting, I get 22-24 mpg. all-time high 25.6.
When I'm doing the part-time gig with the magazines, 20-22. Subtract 10% for 10% ethanol blend.
I don't know if newer Ford engine computers like ethanol better than mine does, but for me ethanol blend at just 7-10 cents less than real gas makes no sense.

MidnightDave

I bought one truck to keep it the rest of my life. I wanted V6 = 220hp, 5spd, 4x4, xtracab, tow package, black. Saw this Taco on a stand at the dealership as my '99 SAAB Viggen had just returned from the shop. Drove in and traded straight up. Put some 31" MTRs on it and it's been a GREAT truck so far, wheeling, hauling, commuting for a while, (when the 'stang was getting the engine built). I vote used Taco.

2006 Lexus IS350 - bone stock wouldn't change a thing
2006 MINI Cooper S - For Sale!
2002 Toyota Tacoma - A man and his truck, it's a beautiful thing!

CMan

Wouldn't have anything to do with a Colorado. The Ranger is old, but it'll go forever and ever. The Tacoma is one of only two Toyota's I don't hate.
Quote from: Morris Minor on September 26, 2008, 08:43:28 AM
I'm going to buy a tube radio so we can huddle round it and, by the light of a single candle, listen to President Obama's fireside chats.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CMan on April 29, 2007, 08:19:57 PM
Wouldn't have anything to do with a Colorado. The Ranger is old, but it'll go forever and ever. The Tacoma is one of only two Toyota's I don't hate.

What's the other one? Camry? :P

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ro51092

CMan

Wrong. And I'm not going to tell you what the other one is. :P
I'm going to buy a tube radio so we can huddle round it and, by the light of a single candle, listen to President Obama's fireside chats.

Raghavan

Quote from: CMan on April 29, 2007, 08:36:35 PM
It's obviously the Corolla SE-R.

CMan

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha! Hahaha....

No.

280Z Turbo

My '86 was always super cheap to keep running too, even in its old age.

SaltyDog

Thanks for the help.

Now I'm really thinking about a Ranger.  When do '08s start appearing on lots?  I suppose the best thing to do is to grab an '07 right before.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

ifcar

Quote from: SaltyDog on April 29, 2007, 10:06:31 PM
Thanks for the help.

Now I'm really thinking about a Ranger.  When do '08s start appearing on lots?  I suppose the best thing to do is to grab an '07 right before.

Have you checked you local inventory? When you buy may have to depend on when they have what you want. If they only have one or two base trucks right now, you can't count on them having one when you're ready to buy.

The Pirate

Quote from: CMan on April 29, 2007, 08:36:35 PM

4Runner?

:tounge:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

CMan

Hehe, actually, it's the FJ Cruiser. And I don't hate the Yaris Hatch either. But the rest... :zzz:

The Pirate

Quote from: CMan on April 30, 2007, 08:31:40 AM
Hehe, actually, it's the FJ Cruiser. And I don't hate the Yaris Hatch either. But the rest... :zzz:

That was my second guess, but I like 'em both.  The 4Runner would probably be a bit better of a daily driver though.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

CMan

OMG. :mask: OMG. :confused:

I did an image search for an FJ Cruiser, and this turned up.

Who's the idiot that did this? They completely ruined it! :devil:

FordSVT

I've never understood putting rims and tires like that on a truck like this.

The only redeeming value a vehicle like the FJ or Hummer has is it's off-road capability. Smaller interiors, lack of cargo room, bad road manners, etc. etc. etc. compared to most other SUVs. Putting tires like that on an FJ is like cutting the nuts off a bull. What is it good at now besides looking awkward? I cry for the inanimate object....  :cry:
-FordSVT-

TheIntrepid

SaltyDog

Quote from: ifcar on April 30, 2007, 04:57:57 AM
If they only have one or two base trucks right now, you can't count on them having one when you're ready to buy.

And that's basically the situation, so I better start now.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

280Z Turbo

Quote from: SaltyDog on April 26, 2007, 05:18:22 PM
Yeah, I hear you. I have a feeling I can live with it, but I'll make sure to get a test drive and see for sure.

If you do get the 2.3L DOHC Duratec, I wonder if you could bolt on performance parts for the Focus/Mazda 3.

SaltyDog

Quote from: FordSVT on April 30, 2007, 09:15:36 AM
I've never understood putting rims and tires like that on a truck like this.

The only redeeming value a vehicle like the FJ or Hummer has is it's off-road capability. Smaller interiors, lack of cargo room, bad road manners, etc. etc. etc. compared to most other SUVs. Putting tires like that on an FJ is like cutting the nuts off a bull. What is it good at now besides looking awkward? I cry for the inanimate object....  :cry:
-FordSVT-

But most buyers never intend to take a Hummer or FJ offroad.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

SaltyDog

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 30, 2007, 10:59:30 AM
If you do get the 2.3L DOHC Duratec, I wonder if you could bolt on performance parts for the Focus/Mazda 3.

With their engine's layed out in different directions I don't think bolt-ons are interchangable.  Cams and internals will fit, but that's a whole different price range.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

280Z Turbo

Quote from: SaltyDog on April 30, 2007, 11:00:28 AM

Most people don't even know where they can go off-road, and they wouldn't know what to do when they got there.

SaltyDog

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 30, 2007, 11:13:04 AM
Most people don't even know where they can go off-road, and they wouldn't know what to do when they got there.

Not saying I agree with them.  I don't like that style at all.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

TheIntrepid

FordSVT

Quote from: SaltyDog on April 30, 2007, 11:00:28 AM

Yes, and that's the problem: they're idiots.   :mrcool:
-FordSVT-

S204STi

Quote from: ifcar on April 26, 2007, 07:08:09 PM
Forgot that one, but my point stands.

I wasn't even arguing with you.