Radar Detector?

Started by NomisR, April 22, 2007, 11:33:25 PM

hounddog

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 25, 2007, 12:04:50 AM
Most officers don't use the laser gun like a sniper rifle however, but more like short-burst automatic, pulling the trigger and then sweeping across the front of the target vehicle until a good read is obtained. This produces more scatter than the technique you've described, and can (and has!) be detected by vehicles quite a bit behind the target vehicle.
In your own links above it is stated that laser guns must be aimed.  You just post whatever you feel like posting to try to make yourself sound credible.  You are not.  Also, in the links you posted only one of them, Edmonds, has any credibility.  None of them list what states or what type of training the "officers" they used had received.  They also give almost no explanation of what scientific study model they used, or any good details of how it was employed.  Anyone claiming to have any knowledge in the scientific world would quickly discount these tests.  Including me.   Most of these sites are owned and operated by the "jammer" manufacturers. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on April 26, 2007, 09:22:22 AM
Okay; but how will they know if it's under my seat? Do they have radar-detector-detectors now?

Is there a "Laser-detector" now?

YOU HAVE TO SHOOT BACK!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hounddog

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 25, 2007, 08:13:22 PM
"Particle light beam" is a nonsense phrase.
Once again, you are wrong.  Light is comprised of particles behaving as a wave.  All light beams are Particle Light Beams. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 25, 2007, 08:13:22 PM
Also, on laser gun technique: Try as they might to claim otherwise, very few people have the ability to lock a handheld device dead-on target on a moving object 1 mile or so away. Especially a relatively awkward, pistol-shaped device. The more reliable technique is to aim slightly in front of the vehicle and let it come into the path of the laser.
In ones without a shoulder butt, perhaps.  But I routinely targeted cars as far as 3500-4500 feet.  I once got one a semi-truck at around 6000 feet on I-94.  You have obviously NEVER operated a gun for any extended period of time, like everything else you posted here, YOU ARE WRONG.  With practive you can become quite a good "sniper."  You might want to go post in another thread.  You have no proof of anything you post, and the only place you have to back up your wild claims is a few anti-laser pro-jammer sites designed to sell their wares.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: TheIntrepid on April 26, 2007, 09:22:22 AM
Okay; but how will they know if it's under my seat? Do they have radar-detector-detectors now?

Is there a "Laser-detector" now?
Because you look like a punk, and I would drag you from your car just to hassle you!   :tounge: :tounge: Probably would not know if it was under your seat.  And yes, Canada used to use radar detector - detectors.  I am not sure, but they might still .  It is illegal in Canada, or was, to operate one.  Radar detectors emitt some kind of radar beam themselves.  But I am not too sure how that all works because radar detectors are legal in Michigan so we did not worry about that stuff.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

hounddog

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

SVT666

Quote from: hounddog on April 26, 2007, 09:44:21 AM
Because you look like a punk, and I would drag you from your car just to hassle you!? ?:tounge: :tounge: Probably would not know if it was under your seat.? And yes, Canada used to use radar detector - detectors.? I am not sure, but they might still .? It is illegal in Canada, or was, to operate one.? Radar detectors emitt some kind of radar beam themselves.? But I am not too sure how that all works because radar detectors are legal in Michigan so we did not worry about that stuff.
It is a province by province regulation.  I think it's legal in some provinces and illegal in others to USE it, however it is legal to SELL them in all provinces.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hounddog on April 26, 2007, 09:10:22 AM
Soup Deville, perhaps you might wish to read one of my posts in its entirety.? ?

I have, and under no circumstances is any wind found on earth going to effect the direction of a beam of light to a substantial enough degree that it would have to be taken into account by a guy with a lidar gun.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hounddog on April 26, 2007, 09:14:35 AM
No, there is nothing confusing about it.? And, yes, light can exist as both at the same time as they have to otherwise the entire wave/particle duality theory can not.? You know, that whole "duality" thing.? :rolleyes:? But this is ALL theory as we are not able to capture light and examine it under an electron microscope.? I honestly do not know where you have obtained you "education," however, it would appear that a remedial refresher course is in order.?

Yes, there is obviously something confusing about it, because you attribute things to lasers which they do not do. They do not get blown about by the wind. Period.

And the whole particle wave duality thing does not mean that the theroetical particles show all the chracteristics of a particle: only some of them. others. like being effected by wind, or continuing to slow down in atmosphere they clearly do not. Read through the links that you yourself have provided.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hounddog on April 26, 2007, 09:36:40 AM
Once again, you are wrong.? Light is comprised of particles behaving as a wave.? All light beams are Particle Light Beams.?

using that logic, light beams can also be called "wave light beams:" Which is why it is a nonsense phrase. It means nothing.

You may as well say "solid pavement" or "Molecular air." Got it?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hounddog on April 26, 2007, 09:33:27 AM
In your own links above it is stated that laser guns must be aimed.? You just post whatever you feel like posting to try to make yourself sound credible.? You are not.? Also, in the links you posted only one of them, Edmonds, has any credibility.? None of them list what states or what type of training the "officers" they used had received.? They also give almost no explanation of what scientific study model they used, or any good details of how it was employed.? Anyone claiming to have any knowledge in the scientific world would quickly discount these tests.? Including me.? ?Most of these sites are owned and operated by the "jammer" manufacturers.?

You asked for one link from a credible source. By your own admission, I posted one.

None of the sites I linked to are owned by a product manufacturer. Admittedly, some of them accept advertising from them. That's why I posted more than one source.

But, hey, you don't need to take my word for it either. A person in your position would easily obtain the owner's manual to a Stalker LZ-1, right?

Look up what code E4 means.

Now, why would the manufacturer create a code for something that can only be caused by- as you claim- a Galaxy Class starship?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hounddog on April 26, 2007, 09:40:28 AM
In ones without a shoulder butt, perhaps.? But I routinely targeted cars as far as 3500-4500 feet.? I once got one a semi-truck at around 6000 feet on I-94.? You have obviously NEVER operated a gun for any extended period of time, like everything else you posted here, YOU ARE WRONG.? With practive you can become quite a good "sniper."? You might want to go post in another thread.? You have no proof of anything you post, and the only place you have to back up your wild claims is a few anti-laser pro-jammer sites designed to sell their wares.

Funny, I thought most law enforcement agencies discouraged taking readings from more than 1000 ft...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hounddog on April 26, 2007, 09:44:21 AM
Because you look like a punk, and I would drag you from your car just to hassle you!? ?:tounge: :tounge: Probably would not know if it was under your seat.? And yes, Canada used to use radar detector - detectors.? I am not sure, but they might still .? It is illegal in Canada, or was, to operate one.? Radar detectors emitt some kind of radar beam themselves.? But I am not too sure how that all works because radar detectors are legal in Michigan so we did not worry about that stuff.

Woe, you mean you know all these things about light waves and yet you've never heard of the frequency leakage effect of superhetrodyne receivers?

(Oh, and the Canadian detector-detector most widely used is called the Spectre III)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hounddog on April 26, 2007, 09:10:22 AM
Soup Deville, perhaps you might wish to read one of my posts in its entirety.? ?

Oh, I do.

Luckily for you, I tend to only focus on your most egregious mistakes. Ones like this "At about half a mile it is hardly any bigger than a soft ball."I tend to let slide.

The beam isn't nearly that narrow. The divergence rate of most LIDARguns is around 3 milliradians, which corresponds to around 3 feet wide at 1000'. At 'half a mile' it would be over 6' around.

edit: because, yes, I have no idea what I'm talking about and only show those things which support my views, I only get my info from sources withno credibility. Like the manufacturer of the most widely used LIDAR guns in the country  for instance. http://www.stalkerradar.com/pdf/lidar_brochure.pdf

hounddog

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 27, 2007, 06:06:02 PM
I have, and under no circumstances is any wind found on earth going to effect the direction of a beam of light to a substantial enough degree that it would have to be taken into account by a guy with a lidar gun.
Once again, try READING my post in its entirety. 

THEORY 

Look it up.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 27, 2007, 06:18:48 PM
You asked for one link from a credible source. By your own admission, I posted one.

None of the sites I linked to are owned by a product manufacturer. Admittedly, some of them accept advertising from them. That's why I posted more than one source.

But, hey, you don't need to take my word for it either. A person in your position would easily obtain the owner's manual to a Stalker LZ-1, right?

Look up what code E4 means.

Now, why would the manufacturer create a code for something that can only be caused by- as you claim- a Galaxy Class starship?
What is it about reading comprehension you do not understand?? ?At no point in the post you quoted did I say any of the links you posted were credible.? Reading comprehension 101.? You may want to look into enrolling yourself.  No notation of any scientific method of study, no "tester" experience listed, no "tester" training or certifications listed, no time periods listed, no weather conditions listed, no corroberation by unbiased/outside source= noncredible results.

What crackerjack box did you get your education from, anyway?
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 27, 2007, 07:08:02 PM
Oh, I do.
Obviously. :rolleyes:

Quoteedit: because, yes, I have no idea what I'm talking about and only show those things which support my views, I only get my info from sources withno credibility. Like the manufacturer of the most widely used LIDAR guns in the country? for instance. http://www.stalkerradar.com/pdf/lidar_brochure.pdf
Most widely used?? You are joking, right?? Link?? They are not even the most widely used in Michigan.? Every laser I have personally seen and used has been a Kustom Pro Laser.? ?Where do you come up with this stuff?? ?

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/contracts_62251_7.pdf

edit: that is not entirely true.  My last department bought a Utra lyte model with the battery pack, but I never used it.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 27, 2007, 06:28:13 PM
Woe, you mean you know all these things about light waves and yet you've never heard of the frequency leakage effect of superhetrodyne receivers?

(Oh, and the Canadian detector-detector most widely used is called the Spectre III)
READING COMPREHENSION 101.

Man, are you dense.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

sparkplug

My rocket launcher will take out any police radar.

... if I had it.

Rupert

hounddog, take a chill pill, eh?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hounddog on May 01, 2007, 04:44:31 PM
What is it about reading comprehension you do not understand?? ?At no point in the post you quoted did I say any of the links you posted were credible.? Reading comprehension 101.? You may want to look into enrolling yourself.? No notation of any scientific method of study, no "tester" experience listed, no "tester" training or certifications listed, no time periods listed, no weather conditions listed, no corroberation by unbiased/outside source= noncredible results.

What crackerjack box did you get your education from, anyway?

You know, its usually when people stop being able to argue the points in front of them and instead resort to attacking the credibility of the sources or the person that i claim victory in a debate.

Instead though, I'm going to get you to try and answer the questions I asked one more time, and provide a source more credible than mine.

What does code E4 on a Stalker LZ-1 mean?

How wide is the beam of a radar gun at half a mile?

An answer to either or both questions, with supporting documentation, that directly contradicts anything I've said will earn a surrender from me.

As for your question as to where my education comes from, I have a BSMET from Lawrence. Now that may not sound like much to you,being the only cop in existence with a master's degree in engineering, but it aint no cracker jack box neither.

Wait, you're telling me Michigan isn't the entire United States, and that your experience represents a statistical cross section of the united states?

Well, I learn something new every day I guess.

(Oh, and the Stalker Brand is manufactured by applied concepts, which is the first LIDAR gun listed in your PDF)

NomisR

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on May 02, 2007, 02:37:58 PM
I was just reading this test

http://www.motortrend.com/features/mobile_electronics/112_0508_2005radar_buyersguide/index.html

Maybe I'll get the Escort ZRX instead... beats tickets..

Stop posting non-credible information from sites owned by the few fringe anti-LIDAR, pro-Jammer sites out there, mostof which are owned by the so-called jammer manufacturers!

;)

P.S: I find it kind of funny to say after all this, but in case you're wondering: I don't recommend laser jammer usage.

NomisR

motortrend's owned by a lidar jammer manufacturer?? :huh:

hounddog

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 02, 2007, 02:09:39 PM
You know, its usually when people stop being able to argue the points in front of them and instead resort to attacking the credibility of the sources or the person that i claim victory in a debate.
I have not attacked you personally.? What I said was you fail to fully read or comprehend fully what I am writing.? Proof of that is in your continually ignorant writings, and the complete disregard of what I write in full.? But,? I am not only attacking the credibility of sources you posted, I am outright saying their 'experiments' carry no weight due to the fact there is no true imperical data to back up their claims.? You posted them as part of your argument leaning on them to proove you points.? When you did that they became open to attacks on credibility, so if you do not like having them taken to task= do not post them.? ?

QuoteInstead though, I'm going to get you to try and answer the questions I asked one more time, and provide a source more credible than mine.

What does code E4 on a Stalker LZ-1 mean?

How wide is the beam of a radar gun at half a mile?

An answer to either or both questions, with supporting documentation, that directly contradicts anything I've said will earn a surrender from me.
Well, once again you respond without reading (or comprehending what you may have read) my posts in full.
To answer the first question, as I have previously stated, I never used anything other than a Kustom product.? I have NO IDEA what the Stalker codes may or may not mean, nor would I care.? Why?? Because I never used them.? Or is that too confusing?

Second question would depend on the equipment being used.? Off hand, I would have to say a radar beam at a half mile would be in the area of 600 to 1000 feet wide.? But, without proper numbers? to calculate that is as close as I can get.

QuoteAs for your question as to where my education comes from, I have a BSMET from Lawrence. Now that may not sound like much to you,being the only cop in existence with a master's degree in engineering, but it aint no cracker jack box neither.
So, you believe that all cops are idiots who can not possibly have any kind of degree other than criminal justice?? Or that I am the exception?? Let me put it this way, most departments in the greater Detroit area will not even accept your resume unless you have at least a B.S. degree.? For those of us with reading disabilities in the forum, that means they will not even talk to you until you get a four year degree.? Am I going too fast again?? ?
BSMET, from Lawrence.? Huh.? You would think they would teach reading comprehension, or at the least list it as a prerequesite.? But alas, it would seem that reading comprehension will never be your strong suit so I will help you out a little; 

As stated earlier, I obtained my Masters a couple years prior to retiring.
You see, what that means is I did not obtain the degree until I had been a police officer for many, many years.  I know it is tuff for you, but do try to keep up.   

Quote(Oh, and the Stalker Brand is manufactured by applied concepts, which is the first LIDAR gun listed in your PDF)
Very good, perhaps you can understand the words on the page in front of you after all.? Now, if we could just get you to work those skills a little harder.? ?:rolleyes:? What exactly is your point here?? Pro Laser II is manufactured by Kustom and so on.? ?Talk about non-sence statements. :rolleyes:

If you intend to continue this debate, or if you desire to draw me into conflict with you, you are going to be required to do a better job.? Many of your points and sources are not only flawed, but found to be untrue.? Admit that you only know what you know from the internet and move on.?
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 27, 2007, 06:24:58 PM
Funny, I thought most law enforcement agencies discouraged taking readings from more than 1000 ft...
I will respond to one last post from you. (again)

Would you please link the source you received this information from?
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Soup DeVille

First, lets get this out of the way:  I never meant to imply that cops are uneducated. However, most have degrees in criminal justice or another law enforcement related field. I have never met a traffic cop with a master's degree in engineering, and I find it odd that one would pursue one.

Second, I meant to ask what the width of a LIDAR gun is at half a mile, not a radar gun. As I have shown, that figure as claimed by the manufacturer, and that which you have posited are completely different. Whom should I believe?

Third, I could post a PDF of the owner's manual of the Stalker unit for you, but they don't really like that information just floating out on the web. You, however, could get it for yourself and then answer the question. Or you could reference the manual for your Kustom signal unit for the second question (Kustom does not utilize jam codes). It makes no damned difference what you use, and i don't really care either. My point stands either way, and I will restate it for you, the clinically obtuse.

Why would a well-respected manufacturer of LIDAR guns take the time to install and program countermeasures for a device that you claim does not exist?

There is not going to be a clinical study of these things found that will meet your  criteria, but any reasonable, logical person could deduce that if a wide variety of sources have comes to the same conclusion independantly that it is not only plausible, but likely that they are in fact correct. Deal with it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on May 03, 2007, 03:08:28 PM
motortrend's owned by a lidar jammer manufacturer?? :huh:

Sarcasm, Simon; and a reference to the continuing argument I am having here.