Would You Buy a Used CV Police Interceptor?

Started by Morris Minor, April 23, 2007, 08:24:28 AM

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sparkplug

My uncle had a Ford F-450 works truck with one of them tool box beds. One day he backed up in a parking lot and hit a car. He didn't even notice it. Fortunately someone was there to tell him. Oops. hehehe.

I don't really want to make Dan vomit. hehehe

L. ed foote

Member, Self Preservation Society

TurboDan

Quote from: sparkplug on May 29, 2007, 09:44:50 PM
My uncle had a Ford F-450 works truck with one of them tool box beds. One day he backed up in a parking lot and hit a car. He didn't even notice it. Fortunately someone was there to tell him. Oops. hehehe.

I don't really want to make Dan vomit. hehehe

I sure hope your uncle was required to pay all of the damages.  He probably also should've paid a fine for being too oblivious to operate of a vehicle of that size.? I honestly want to spit on F-350s and F-450s every time I see them.? If someone with one of those ever touched my car, they'd have hell to pay.

I've long argued that those who operate large SUVs and pickups should have their fines DOUBLED every time they do something stupid.  When you're dealing with a vehicle that large, stupidity can wind up causing alot more damage.

sparkplug

Quote from: TurboDan on May 30, 2007, 09:32:26 AM
I sure hope your uncle was required to pay all of the damages.  He probably also should've paid a fine for being too oblivious to operate of a vehicle of that size.  I honestly want to spit on F-350s and F-450s every time I see them.  If someone with one of those ever touched my car, they'd have hell to pay.

I've long argued that those who operate large SUVs and pickups should have their fines DOUBLED every time they do something stupid.  When you're dealing with a vehicle that large, stupidity can wind up causing alot more damage.

Oh, he paid for it. But understand this. He's a logger. Logger's can't drive Honda Civics in the woods. They've have to use heavy equipment. And every time some joe blow in their tiny subcompact does something stupid like hits one of my uncle's log trucks they sue and get awarded because they're driving a car. You see you are only looking at one incident from one perspective. What I find is that a lot of idiotic happens in life but its often the small business and their insurance company that pays the bills. And then the company has to have a new insurance company or pay a higher premium.

The Pirate

Quote from: sparkplug on May 30, 2007, 09:20:53 PM
Oh, he paid for it. But understand this. He's a logger. Logger's can't drive Honda Civics in the woods. They've have to use heavy equipment. And every time some joe blow in their tiny subcompact does something stupid like hits one of my uncle's log trucks they sue and get awarded because they're driving a car. You see you are only looking at one incident from one perspective. What I find is that a lot of idiotic happens in life but its often the small business and their insurance company that pays the bills. And then the company has to have a new insurance company or pay a higher premium.

I'm not going to argue with the fact that there is a plethora of idiots out there; it's true.  Nor do I have any problems with people who need those trucks for their work.  I've a problem with people who drive big honkin' pickups and SUVs and have no concept of how to drive said vehicle.  I've been held up a lot or almost crushed because somebody is unable to keep said vehicle in one lane or has no concept of blind spots.

I have no problem with somebody wanting to drive a large truck; that is their choice, but they need to know how to drive safely.  Not saying this is the case with your uncle, but it is with a lot of soccer moms (and dads).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TheIntrepid

This IMO is about as intelligent as the idea of people who earn more having to pay more for tickets, and vice versa for those who earn less. If I have to drive an F450 for my job, and parking isn't my strength, I may bump a car. However, I would be willing to pay for any damages and even perhaps a ticket, but by no means should I have to pay more JUST because I drive a beast like that. :huh:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

TurboDan

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 31, 2007, 07:19:47 AM
This IMO is about as intelligent as the idea of people who earn more having to pay more for tickets, and vice versa for those who earn less. If I have to drive an F450 for my job, and parking isn't my strength, I may bump a car. However, I would be willing to pay for any damages and even perhaps a ticket, but by no means should I have to pay more JUST because I drive a beast like that. :huh:

You are far more likely to die if you're hit by a Ford Explorer than by a regular car.  Statistical fact from the government.  People who drive huge vehicles with high bumper heights put other drivers at risk if they are driving poorly.  Punishments must fit the crime.  If you're acting irresponsibly while driving a vehicle that is inherently putting other drivers at a higher risk of death and massive property loss, you must take responsibility for doing something stupid. 

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 31, 2007, 07:19:47 AM

Parking is like half the skills necessary for driving.  There's driving.  And parking.  If you can't park, I bet you can't drive.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

I sure hope your uncle was required to pay all of the damages.? He probably also should've paid a fine for being too oblivious to operate of a vehicle of that size.? I honestly want to spit on F-350s and F-450s every time I see them.? If someone with one of those ever touched my car, they'd have hell to pay.

I've long argued that those who operate large SUVs and pickups should have their fines DOUBLED every time they do something stupid.? When you're dealing with a vehicle that large, stupidity can wind up causing alot more damage.

Most likely it was a guy with a similar vehicle that built your house, or tows your car when it breaks down, or  any of a thousand things which need to be done to keep the lights on and the water flowing and the goods in the stores.

AND real CMVs (those over 14,000 lbs GVWR) do pay fines according to a seperate, more severe fines schedule in many jurisdictions.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CJ

To answer the original question:

Hell fucking no.

TurboDan

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 05, 2007, 04:05:21 PM

Most likely it was a guy with a similar vehicle that built your house, or tows your car when it breaks down, or  any of a thousand things which need to be done to keep the lights on and the water flowing and the goods in the stores.

So a construction worker, a tow truck driver, electrician, deliver guy, or plumber has a pass because they're a blue collar worker?  WTF? 

They drive HUGE vehicles that can do ALOT of damage if they get into an accident with someone.  And you know what - it's usually young, blue collar guys driving pickup trucks that I see tailgating, doing 95 in traffic and cutting through lanes on the highway every day and putting people at risk.  Most of the accidents I see involve one of these guys.  So, excuse me for wanting people who drive vehicles that do WAY more damage than lightweight little Hondas to face some extra responsibility when they drive like an idiot.

L. ed foote

Quote from: TurboDan on June 08, 2007, 09:55:03 AM
So a construction worker, a tow truck driver, electrician, deliver guy, or plumber has a pass because they're a blue collar worker?  WTF? 

They drive HUGE vehicles that can do ALOT of damage if they get into an accident with someone.  And you know what - it's usually young, blue collar guys driving pickup trucks that I see tailgating, doing 95 in traffic and cutting through lanes on the highway every day and putting people at risk.  Most of the accidents I see involve one of these guys.  So, excuse me for wanting people who drive vehicles that do WAY more damage than lightweight little Hondas to face some extra responsibility when they drive like an idiot.

I'd have to disagree with you...

Member, Self Preservation Society

Sir_CARzy

no... i would imagine they get beaten up on quite a bit since they're driven so much by people who don't own them. (they prolly don't care about them). My brother has been followed a few times by these 2 guys in a police intercepter - they prolly think they're cool and can spook people in their crown vic.  :rolleyes:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TurboDan on June 08, 2007, 09:55:03 AM
So a construction worker, a tow truck driver, electrician, deliver guy, or plumber has a pass because they're a blue collar worker?? WTF??

They drive HUGE vehicles that can do ALOT of damage if they get into an accident with someone.? And you know what - it's usually young, blue collar guys driving pickup trucks that I see tailgating, doing 95 in traffic and cutting through lanes on the highway every day and putting people at risk.? Most of the accidents I see involve one of these guys.? So, excuse me for wanting people who drive vehicles that do WAY more damage than lightweight little Hondas to face some extra responsibility when they drive like an idiot.

No, they should be held to the same standard you are. Your license allows you to operate vehicles up to 14,000 lbs (that varies by state), and you are expected to be able to do so safely.

And young males have always been more dangerous drivers, everybody knows that.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator