supposedly new C&D test 350z vs Shelby GT vs rx8 vs TT. Anyone get C&D yet?

Started by 565, April 23, 2007, 11:09:20 AM

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Nethead

Quote from: FordSVT on May 09, 2007, 06:57:08 AM
To be honest, basically everything they've said about this car since 05 has been much kinder than what they said in this comparo, it's almost like their opinion has completely changed overnight. They go from saying things like "you'd almost never know the rear end was a live axle it's so well sorted out and it even handles rough corners with ease" a year or two ago to "this thing rides like a 20 year old pickup truck". I'm sorry, something doesn't connect here. I understand writers change and therefore opinions change, but there's also something to be said for editorial consistancy.
-FordSVT-

FordSVT:  Your posting reminded me of something I didn't give much credence to at the time (Spring of '06 or thereabouts).

Over in the old AutoWeek forums, a dude posted that Lutz the Putz got all pissed off about the bad reviews GM products were getting in the automotive press so he had GM buy controlling interest in Primedia Publications--who might be the parent company of Car & Driver--or they might not.  The Nethead here never cared enough to check out who might be the parent company of C&D (a google on "Primedia" will probably find a website which lists all the publications they own) or who might have controlling interest in Primedia (which might be very difficult to find out).  If the parent company of C&D is indeed Primedia, and if GM is indeed the holder of controlling interest in Primedia, then there's your answer.
So many stairs...so little time...

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on May 09, 2007, 08:30:55 AM
FordSVT:? Your posting reminded me of something I didn't give much credence to at the time (Spring of '06 or thereabouts).

Over in the old AutoWeek forums, a dude posted that Lutz the Putz got all pissed off about the bad reviews GM products were getting in the automotive press so he had GM buy controlling interest in Primedia Publications--who might be the parent company of Car & Driver--or they might not.? The Nethead here never cared enough to check out who might be the parent company of C&D (a google on "Primedia" will probably find a website which lists all the publications they own) or who might have controlling interest in Primedia (which might be very difficult to find out).? If the parent company of C&D is indeed Primedia, and if GM is indeed the holder of controlling interest in Primedia, then there's your answer.
Actually Primedia owns Motor Trend and Automobile which might explain their selection of the Silverado over the Tundra for Truck of the Year.

Nethead

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 09, 2007, 09:15:22 AM
Actually Primedia owns Motor Trend and Automobile which might explain their selection of the Silverado over the Tundra for Truck of the Year.

www.primedia.com does not list Car & Driver as a Primedia magazine, but nowhere does it say that this list is all-inclusive.? Maybe the C&D website declares who the parent publishing company of C&D is.
So many stairs...so little time...

SVT666

C&D is owned by Hachette Filipacchi Media which also owns Road & Track. 

r0tor

Quote from: 565 on May 08, 2007, 10:14:09 PM

Them's fighting words.

I think you and Rotor need to challenge each other to a duel on the Tail of the Dragon (or closer twisty road).? We'll film it as the first of the Carspin "Duel on the Roads"? series.

if the dragon wasn't 12 hours away i'd be all over this... just warning everyone my exhaust doesn't smell too nice  :devil: :lol:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

JYODER240

Quote from: r0tor on May 09, 2007, 04:42:17 PM
if the dragon wasn't 12 hours away i'd be all over this... just warning everyone my exhaust doesn't smell too nice? :devil: :lol:

did you get rid of your cats?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Onslaught

if the dragon wasn't 12 hours away i'd be all over this... just warning everyone my exhaust doesn't smell too nice? :devil: :lol:
The RX-8 or you?

1 BAD 7

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

SVT666

Don't worry.  Anyone driving a Mustang, 350Z, or TT won't be smelling it. :ohyeah:

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 09, 2007, 05:22:19 PM
Don't worry.? Anyone driving a Mustang, 350Z, or TT won't be smelling it. :ohyeah:

Have you ever seen the Tail of the Dragon? I wouldn't be surprised if the RX-8 left all 3 in its dust on that road.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 09, 2007, 05:23:26 PM
Have you ever seen the Tail of the Dragon? I wouldn't be surprised if the RX-8 left all 3 in its dust on that road.

Considering how well the TT did, I wouldn't bet on it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8746.msg444269#msg444269 date=1178754866
Considering how well the TT did, I wouldn't bet on it.

Th RX-8 was the best handling car of the group, and was praised for its ability to quickly change direction and was the quicker by over 4mph through the lane change.  Its slow lap time was due to its lack of power.  Horsepower means almost nothing on the Dragon. Momentum is far more important. The editors also said that the RX-8 was fastest on real-world roads. The TT was still impressive with the second quickest lap time but I don't think it would take the RX-8 on the Dragon.

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 09, 2007, 07:03:17 PM
Th RX-8 was the best handling car of the group, and was praised for its ability to quickly change direction and was the quicker by over 4mph through the lane change.  Its slow lap time was due to its lack of power.  Horsepower means almost nothing on the Dragon. Momentum is far more important. The editors also said that the RX-8 was fastest on real-world roads. The TT was still impressive with the second quickest lap time but I don't think it would take the RX-8 on the Dragon.

It has more power than the TT.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

Quote from: Raza  on May 09, 2007, 07:43:15 PM
But less torque and torque is what's needed to accelerate out of those bends and the TT makes its power lower than the RX8, and on a twisty road like that, the RX8 can't be revved up that high.

Quote from: Cobra93 on May 09, 2007, 07:48:44 AM

Funny you should mention that because I'm riding the Dragon next week.? :rockon:

Awesome,  bring a camera and tape the run.  Tell us how it goes.

S204STi

I'm going to have to make a point of driving out there sometime.  I've never been to that neck of the woods.

Onslaught

I'm going this summer. But to be honest I know a few roads off the blueridge parkway that I like more.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8746.msg444450#msg444450 date=1178761395

The TT also weighs less, and i'm assuming it has a flatter torque curve with more power down low. The TT also posted better acceralation times than the RX-8. 

Cobra93

Quote from: 565 on May 09, 2007, 08:27:51 PM
Awesome,  bring a camera and tape the run.  Tell us how it goes.

Unfortunately, I don't have a video camera but here's some guys riding the Dragon on Goldwings. :rockon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZVywVwY8OU

SVT666

I didn't know a Goldwing could corner like that. :confused:  That road looks like a shitload of fun, but my understanding was that it's too congested to have a lot of fun.

Cobra93

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 10, 2007, 07:45:12 AM
I didn't know a Goldwing could corner like that. :confused:  That road looks like a shitload of fun, but my understanding was that it's too congested to have a lot of fun.

Goldwings are greatly misunderstood. You have to set the rear shock pretty stiff and hang off it but they're much more agile than you would think. As far as congestion, it depends on time of year and day of the week.

Quote from: Cobra93 on May 10, 2007, 07:36:09 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have a video camera but here's some guys riding the Dragon on Goldwings. :rockon:

Wow that was like watching a Sumo wrestler do ballet.  I was expecting complete wipe out at any minute.  That was insanely awesome.  In that video that road doesn't look as tight as I thought, something with decent HP will definitely pull away from something like a Miata or an RX8 there.  There is a road in near where I live in CT with so sharp corners and abrupt elevation changes that Active Handling and ABS will start kicking in at about 35mph.

SVT666

Quote from: Cobra93 on May 10, 2007, 07:54:28 AM
Goldwings are greatly misunderstood. You have to set the rear shock pretty stiff and hang off it but they're much more agile than you would think. As far as congestion, it depends on time of year and day of the week.
I think the step bars were modified too, because I don't think a Goldwing can actually lean that far without grounding out.

Cobra93

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 10, 2007, 08:26:45 AM
I think the step bars were modified too, because I don't think a Goldwing can actually lean that far without grounding out.

I'm not sure what you're calling step bars but they drag the pegs first, then a combination of centerstand, exhaust, and engine guards. The guy on the camera bike was dragging most all of them. I've gotten accustomed to lifting my inside foot on fast turns because I know the peg will be pushing it up anyway.  :mrcool: