I don't like this new change to my town's cop cars

Started by 850CSi, June 17, 2005, 01:04:28 AM

Colonel Cadillac

DAMN, I just went on the police department of my town's website to snag a picture of the police cars, and all of them have the "stealth" rack! damn damn damn

Catman

The Camaros are fast.  The police model was ungoverened and if I remember topped out about 150.  The MSP tested it a couple years ago, I'll see if I can find it.

*Edit*  Top speed on the Camaro was 159 as tested my the Michigan State Police.  That's fast.

footoflead

QuoteThe Camaros are fast.  The police model was ungoverened and if I remember topped out about 150.  The MSP tested it a couple years ago, I'll see if I can find it.

*Edit*  Top speed on the Camaro was 159 as tested my the Michigan State Police.  That's fast.
what are they goverened at????
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Catman

QuoteThe Camaros are fast.  The police model was ungoverened and if I remember topped out about 150.  The MSP tested it a couple years ago, I'll see if I can find it.

*Edit*  Top speed on the Camaro was 159 as tested my the Michigan State Police.  That's fast.
what are they goverened at????
Not sure.  

hahn

The LS1 F-bodies were supposedly governed at 160 mph.  C/D tested a Firebird that hit 160 mph and a Camaro that hit 158 mph.  Other magazines had similar results.

Even with light bars, they shouldn't be all that slower, as the LS1 is a much torquier engine than the 4.6 Ford, plus the Camaro is a lighter and more aerodynamic than the Crown Vic.  All the New York State Police Camaros have aero light bars anyway, so they most likely top 150 with ease.

footoflead

QuoteThe LS1 F-bodies were supposedly governed at 160 mph.  C/D tested a Firebird that hit 160 mph and a Camaro that hit 158 mph.  Other magazines had similar results.

Even with light bars, they shouldn't be all that slower, as the LS1 is a much torquier engine than the 4.6 Ford, plus the Camaro is a lighter and more aerodynamic than the Crown Vic.  All the New York State Police Camaros have aero light bars anyway, so they most likely top 150 with ease.
well they beef up the suspension and other stuff...so wouldn't that slow them down a little
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

hahn

QuoteThe LS1 F-bodies were supposedly governed at 160 mph.  C/D tested a Firebird that hit 160 mph and a Camaro that hit 158 mph.  Other magazines had similar results.

Even with light bars, they shouldn't be all that slower, as the LS1 is a much torquier engine than the 4.6 Ford, plus the Camaro is a lighter and more aerodynamic than the Crown Vic.  All the New York State Police Camaros have aero light bars anyway, so they most likely top 150 with ease.
well they beef up the suspension and other stuff...so wouldn't that slow them down a little
I don't know about other states, but in New York they were bone stock Camaros, bought from a dealership.

NomisR

QuoteThose lightbars aren't really designed to reduce visibility as much as improve aerodynamics.  A typical lightbar can reduce top speed by almost 10mph.
Hold on one second here.. now why would they need the extra 10 mph of top speed again?

Now here's something to think about, why do they think that it's extremely dangerous for any "sports car" to go 1mph over the speed limit yet a Crown Vic can go top speed safely?   :blink:

BTW, what's the top speed of the CVs?

Raza

QuoteThose lightbars aren't really designed to reduce visibility as much as improve aerodynamics.  A typical lightbar can reduce top speed by almost 10mph.
Hold on one second here.. now why would they need the extra 10 mph of top speed again?

Now here's something to think about, why do they think that it's extremely dangerous for any "sports car" to go 1mph over the speed limit yet a Crown Vic can go top speed safely?   :blink:

On World's Scariest Police Videos, they said a couple went over 140.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteThose lightbars aren't really designed to reduce visibility as much as improve aerodynamics.? A typical lightbar can reduce top speed by almost 10mph.

With the handling of the CV, I'd be frightened for my life at that speed.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

QuoteThose lightbars aren't really designed to reduce visibility as much as improve aerodynamics.  A typical lightbar can reduce top speed by almost 10mph.

I'd be frightened for my life to be within 5 miles of a Crown Vic going 140.  

BMWDave

QuoteThose lightbars aren't really designed to reduce visibility as much as improve aerodynamics.? A typical lightbar can reduce top speed by almost 10mph.

:lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

NomisR

:lol:
Exactly!!!  So why do they need the extra 10mph top speed?

Catman

Cv's top out at about 128.  They are electronically limited because of drive shaft harmonics.  Yopu don't want to go faster than that anyway, trust me.  There is a lower rear end gear option that brings it down to like 120 or something.  The lower geared cars are much better all around.

The Phantom

QuoteEh, as long as it's a big Crown Vic, they're not TOO tough to spot.  Personally, I recognize the Ford headlights long before the light bar.   Driving on NYC highways can be tricky, though, since they use a good number of "stealth cabs," which are regular yellow taxis that are really police cars.  They're mostly on the "killing fields" (as NY's finest call the Belt Parkway) of Brooklyn and the LIE and Cross-Island in Queens.

The BQE is "every man for himself."  Fun road @ 2AM.  :lol:
I saw some "stealth cabs" on a Law & Order episode.  :lol:  
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

280Z Turbo

QuoteCv's top out at about 128.? They are electronically limited because of drive shaft harmonics.? Yopu don't want to go faster than that anyway, trust me.? There is a lower rear end gear option that brings it down to like 120 or something.? The lower geared cars are much better all around.
"Harmonics"?

That must be why my Ranger will only really top out at 75-80. The engine is willing to go faster, but the driveshaft starts to vibrate very loudly around 75. What would happen if you kept going?

giant_mtb

QuoteCv's top out at about 128.  They are electronically limited because of drive shaft harmonics.  Yopu don't want to go faster than that anyway, trust me.  There is a lower rear end gear option that brings it down to like 120 or something.  The lower geared cars are much better all around.
"Harmonics"?

That must be why my Ranger will only really top out at 75-80. The engine is willing to go faster, but the driveshaft starts to vibrate very loudly around 75. What would happen if you kept going?
Yeah...harmonics means the vibration of it.  Such as the harmonic of a string on a string instrument.  At the exact halfway point on a string (between the end of the fingerboard and where the other end is touching (whether it's a bridge or whatever) is a harmonic.  If you just touch your finger on that point and play, you get a note that is exactly one octave above the string you are playing.  So say I had a D string...I put my finger on the middle of the string, and get a one-ocatve-higher D.  :lol:  Something to do with vibration.  :lol:  

Colonel Cadillac

I saw one accelerate like crazy today in town and top at 75 or so. I saw the policeman, and it looked like it was pretty scary for him.  

BMWDave

QuoteI saw one accelerate like crazy today in town and top at 75 or so. I saw the policeman, and it looked like it was pretty scary for him.
I think some cruisers have different engines than a stock CV, high output or something, that allows them to go a lot faster.  Is this true, Catman B)

2007 Honda S2000

Run Away

No, they just have updraded cooling and electrical systems along with the factory dual exhaust.

And with all the weight, cop cars are in the 9 second range for 0-60; they are not fast.

Secret Chimp

QuoteEh, as long as it's a big Crown Vic, they're not TOO tough to spot.  Personally, I recognize the Ford headlights long before the light bar.   Driving on NYC highways can be tricky, though, since they use a good number of "stealth cabs," which are regular yellow taxis that are really police cars.  They're mostly on the "killing fields" (as NY's finest call the Belt Parkway) of Brooklyn and the LIE and Cross-Island in Queens.

The BQE is "every man for himself."  Fun road @ 2AM.  :lol:
I saw some "stealth cabs" on a Law & Order episode.  :lol:
That show is laaame  :P  

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.