8 Luxo SUVs... Car & Driver

Started by YO, April 23, 2007, 09:03:12 PM

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Kayani_1 on April 24, 2007, 07:14:01 PM
I like the MDX out of that group of Suvs as it offers plenty for the money. But if I was not limited by the price there is no way I would take MDX over a BMW X5 4.8i or Range Rover sport or Cayman S.

That's CAYENNE S right?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

rjm

I know several people who've traded for a new MDX, and everryone has mixed reactions, and all have said that if they had it to do over, they'd have kept their old MDXs a little longer.  All have praised the improvement in handling and more comfortable seats, but have also noticed Acura decontenting.  2 have mentioned that the new one has neither auto-dimming mirrors nor a rainsensor which their previous MDX had.  One mentioned it wasn't a deal breaker, but 2 others said that if they had noticed them lacking, it would have been a deal breaker b/c these are some of the little things that separate a luxury car from a nice mainstream car.  Or in this case, the Pilot form the MDX.  I've paraphrased here, since these conversations occured over some time.

Out of this batch, for me personally it would most likely come down to the GX or the ML.  I liked the outgoing X5, but the interior of the new one does absolutely nothing for me.

TheIntrepid

Your sig is huge, even though it's of my family car. A bit too huge.

YO

... the gap between 1st and 2nd was the largest gap... the MDX DOMINATED and came in the least expensive in it's FULLY LOADED TRIM.... the MDX starts at $40k and tops out at the as tested $48... which gives you:

1) Upgraded wheels and tires
2) Magnetic adjustable suspension
3)Voice activated navigation with back up camera, real time traffic and Zagat guide
4) 410 watt, 5.1 DVD-A Surround sound, with 6 disc changer, XM radio and I-Pod Link
5) 9 inch rear DVD Player and wireless headphones and 115 output
6)Rear Heated Seats
7)Power Lift Gate
8)Active Headlights
9) 19,000 BTU TriZone climate control with dual evaporators
10) Upgraded interior trim

plus the incredible list of standard equipment.. .Best in class crash test and the highest "got to have it" rating.... Home Run would be an understatement...

GO TEAM GO!!
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: YO on April 24, 2007, 08:10:49 PM
... the gap between 1st and 2nd was the largest gap... the MDX DOMINATED and came in the least expensive in it's FULLY LOADED TRIM.... the MDX starts at $40k and tops out at the as tested $48... which gives you:

1) Upgraded wheels and tires
2) Magnetic adjustable suspension
3)Voice activated navigation with back up camera, real time traffic and Zagat guide
4) 410 watt, 5.1 DVD-A Surround sound, with 6 disc changer, XM radio and I-Pod Link
5) 9 inch rear DVD Player and wireless headphones and 115 output
6)Rear Heated Seats
7)Power Lift Gate
8)Active Headlights
9) 19,000 BTU TriZone climate control with dual evaporators
10) Upgraded interior trim

plus the incredible list of standard equipment.. .Best in class crash test and the highest "got to have it" rating.... Home Run would be an understatement...

GO TEAM GO!!

Hehe, the SRX has all of those too. What a HUGGGE gap.

TheIntrepid

Hondas are for ricers. :rolleyes:

that was just to set him off

YO

... incredible lat g's and handling charactor.... yeah I bitched about the mirror thing too, but $200 bucks isn't much at $50k... and it's not really needed at the hieght that suvs sit... but still lame to be missing...

I drove one for a couple of months... simply blown away... I drove it like a small sedan regularly and it never let me down... smooth, quiet , tons of power and the best stereo this side of heaven... the Foo Fighers DVD-A nad the Beatles DVD-A "love" album are epic with that stereo. Hearing John, Paul and Georges voices seperated and channeled is incredible...
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

YO

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 24, 2007, 08:14:24 PM
Hehe, the SRX has all of those too. What a HUGGGE gap.
did you see the score gap?
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

TheIntrepid

sandertheshark

sandertheshark

And the Caddy is marked in the "lows" column for wind noise but it's actually quieter than the MDX cruising at 70mph.

rjm

Quote from: YO on April 24, 2007, 08:15:52 PM
... incredible lat g's and handling charactor.... yeah I bitched about the mirror thing too, but $200 bucks isn't much at $50k... and it's not really needed at the hieght that suvs sit... but still lame to be missing...

I drove one for a couple of months... simply blown away... I drove it like a small sedan regularly and it never let me down... smooth, quiet , tons of power and the best stereo this side of heaven... the Foo Fighers DVD-A nad the Beatles DVD-A "love" album are epic with that stereo. Hearing John, Paul and Georges voices seperated and channeled is incredible...

Yeah the DVD-A produce incredible sound, but aren't yet widely available.? Its like hearing live music for the first time.

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 24, 2007, 08:28:15 PM
And the Caddy is marked in the "lows" column for wind noise but it's actually quieter than the MDX cruising at 70mph.

But it felt louder.

Because it's American.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Quote from: ifcar on April 24, 2007, 03:17:48 PM
"The center stack?s 50 buttons and switches looked like something NASA would reject. "

They approved of the quality, not the appearance.

Not true, look at the rankings table.

850CSi

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8759.msg428969#msg428969 date=1177520445
But it felt louder.

Because it's American.

Yep.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on April 24, 2007, 05:30:46 AM
It's sportier than some of the others, yes, which is why it won the comparison test in a car enthusiast magazine.

:rolleyes: @ Car and Driver

"If we were to take an SUV that would bring us safely across the Sahara, we would hands down pick the Acura MDX. No other SUV offers the crisp handling..."

Get it?
:lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

thewizard16

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 26, 2007, 01:59:47 AM

"If we were to take an SUV that would bring us safely across the Sahara, we would hands down pick the Acura MDX. No other SUV offers the crisp handling..."

Get it?
Their comments occasionally come off a bit... stupid.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raghavan

I'd take an MDX across the Sahara...

Provided there was a Range Rover coming along too.

ifcar

Quote from: thewizard16 on April 26, 2007, 06:21:11 PM
Their comments occasionally come off a bit... stupid.

Perhaps, but they didn't write that one.

sandertheshark

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 26, 2007, 01:59:47 AM

Get it?
They also said they all unanimously would pick the SRX out of the bunch for a drive across the US.  WHICH TRIP ARE YOU MORE LIKELY TO MAKE??

YO

Quote from: rjm on April 24, 2007, 08:34:05 PM
Yeah the DVD-A produce incredible sound, but aren't yet widely available.? Its like hearing live music for the first time.
...Acura added dolby pro-logic II to mimic 5.1 surround sound out of ordinary CDs and digital radio... not quite true 5.1 but a giant step in the right direction...
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

1 BAD 7

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

cawimmer430

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 26, 2007, 08:06:14 PM
They also said they all unanimously would pick the SRX out of the bunch for a drive across the US.  WHICH TRIP ARE YOU MORE LIKELY TO MAKE??

I was hinting at the uselessness of the Acura's handling in the Sahara (and the poor fuel economy of all of them).  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie