1996 Impala SS vs. 2003 Mercury Marauder

Started by SVT666, April 24, 2007, 09:21:04 AM

Which you buy on the used market?

15 (48.4%)
16 (51.6%)

Total Members Voted: 30

SVT666

I chose the Impala SS.? Both cars have big aftermarkets, but with the LT1 engine, bigger power is available then with the 4.6L in the Marauder.? When the cars weigh as much as these two, you want as much power as possible.

The Pirate

Impala SS for me as well.  Lots of goodies out there for the LT1, and I just love the looks of the car.  I wouldn't complain too much about a Marauder though.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 24, 2007, 09:21:04 AM
I chose the Impala SS.? Both cars have big aftermarkets, but with the LS engine, bigger power is available then with the 4.6L in the Marauder.? When the cars weigh as much as these two, you want as much power as possible.

I'd take the Maurader becaues I never liked the Impala's interiors, and the Maurader looks like a cop car so people will get out of my way.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: The Pirate on April 24, 2007, 09:25:07 AM
Impala SS for me as well.? Lots of goodies out there for the LT1, and I just love the looks of the car.? I wouldn't complain too much about a Marauder though.
Me neither.  If I was in the market, the lower mileage on those cars might sway me.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

The Imp can be made to go faster cheaper and it looks amazing in the dark teal, cherry, and black colors.  It's a keeper.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TheIntrepid

Marauder. I don't want to look like a messican y0.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Vinsanity

here's how I look at it:

the Impala has become somewhat of a 90's classic, which like the MkIV Supra and FD RX-7, are way expensive in the used car market (even good condition Caprices tend to be overpriced), but might hold collector value say, 20 years into the future. the Impala is more popular in the enthusiast world, and MUCH more popular in the pop culture world.

with the Marauder, I haven't looked at any listings, but it seems like you can get a better value for your money, mostly because the car is newer. however, they were only produced for two years in very limited numbers (due to its lack of success when launched), so its rarity might push prices up a little bit.

in the end, I chose the Impala, just because I want a vanity plate that says 'PIMPALA' :lol:

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 24, 2007, 10:45:38 AM
here's how I look at it:

in the end, I chose the Impala, just because I want a vanity plate that says 'PIMPALA' :lol:

I'd go for EVILIMP  :evildude:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 24, 2007, 10:45:38 AM
here's how I look at it:

the Impala has become somewhat of a 90's classic, which like the MkIV Supra and FD RX-7, are way expensive in the used car market (even good condition Caprices tend to be overpriced), but might hold collector value say, 20 years into the future. the Impala is more popular in the enthusiast world, and MUCH more popular in the pop culture world.

with the Marauder, I haven't looked at any listings, but it seems like you can get a better value for your money, mostly because the car is newer. however, they were only produced for two years in very limited numbers (due to its lack of success when launched), so its rarity might push prices up a little bit.
Marauders in Canada are going for $20 K and up and Impala SS is going for between $10K to 15K

FordSVT

Quote from: the Teuton on April 24, 2007, 09:49:19 AM
The Imp can be made to go faster cheaper and it looks amazing in the dark teal, cherry, and black colors.  It's a keeper.

Before anyone goes off saying "It's cheaper to modify the LT1!", remember that the Marauder has a blown V8 setup already. We all know how cheap and easy it is to add power to those Lightnings and GT500s, the 4.6L shouldn't be any different: pully, ECU, and off you go with 450 hp.

The Impala's advantage is that it's available with a stick, and that's cool. The interior is dated in those cars though, the Marauder's isn't cutting edge wither, but it's much, much better.
-FordSVT-

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FordSVT on April 24, 2007, 11:42:37 AM
Before anyone goes off saying "It's cheaper to modify the LT1!", remember that the Marauder has a blown V8 setup already. We all know how cheap and easy it is to add power to those Lightnings and GT500s, the 4.6L shouldn't be any different: pully, ECU, and off you go with 450 hp.

The Impala's advantage is that it's available with a stick, and that's cool. The interior is dated in those cars though, the Marauder's isn't cutting edge wither, but it's much, much better.
-FordSVT-

Stick? What stick?  :confused:

southdiver1

Impala for me.
While the 4.6 is a great engine, I am still sold on the LT1 simply for ease of modifications.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

SVT666

Quote from: FordSVT on April 24, 2007, 11:42:37 AM

-FordSVT-
The Impala is not available with a stick and the Marauder is not supercharged.  The Marauder has a 302 hp 4.6L DOHC powerplant that is naturally aspirated.  They both come with 4 speed autos as the only tranny of choice.

Eye of the Tiger

Why do you guys like pushrods so much? To change the camshaft, you have to remove the whole engine, or at least disassemble the entire front end of the car! OHC's are much easier to change cams. But that is beside, the point, because all the Maurader needs is a smaller pulley on the SUPERCHARGER ALTERNATOR!? :rockon:  :lol:

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on April 24, 2007, 12:03:51 PM
Why do you guys like pushrods so much? To change the camshaft, you have to remove the whole engine, or at least disassemble the entire front end of the car! OHC's are much easier to change cams.
In a lot of cases you have to pull the engine to put long tube headers in too, so you may as well do both when you have the engine out :rockon:

QuoteBut that is beside, the point, because all the Maurader needs is a smaller pulley on the SUPERCHARGER!? :rockon:
There's NO supercharger.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 24, 2007, 12:49:28 PM
There's NO supercharger.

"Now Ford has produced its own monochromatic Lizard, with a far more digestible price: $34,495. Dearborn's version eschews the standard SOHC modular V-8 in favor of a naturally aspirated twin-cammer with 9.85:1 compression."

I'm sure it could take a supercharger, though.

"So Brown developed a centrifugal blower for the Marauder that's bolted to the front of the engine and driven by the accessory-drive belt. There are more than 150 pieces to his new engine kit, he says, including an air-to-air intercooler and larger fuel injectors. The maximum boost is a modest 7.0 psi, and the engine internals remain stock.
It's a slick, lively engine, with a powerful rush to redline and a wonderful V-8 roar. Since a centrifugal blower tends to work more like a turbocharger and provide the most benefit at higher rpm, Brown also included a shorter final drive (4.10:1 versus 3.55:1) to further increase throttle response and acceleration. The Marauder's four-speed automatic transmission is unchanged.

The results are staggering. The sprint to 60 mph took only 4.5 seconds?three seconds quicker than the stock Marauder. The quarter-mile zipped by in 13.1 seconds at 108 mph (versus 15.5 seconds at 91 mph for the stock car). Right about the time the factory car hits 100 mph, Brown's car is doing 130. "

And I swear someone does a stickshift conversion on it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8764.msg427517#msg427517 date=1177440726
"Now Ford has produced its own monochromatic Lizard, with a far more digestible price: $34,495. Dearborn's version eschews the standard SOHC modular V-8 in favor of a naturally aspirated twin-cammer with 9.85:1 compression."

I'm sure it could take a supercharger, though.
Anything can take a supercharger Raza, but it didn't come with one like some members are saying.  The engine in the Marauder is the Cobra's without a supercharger...which is also the same as the Mach 1 engine.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8764.msg427517#msg427517 date=1177440726
The results are staggering. The sprint to 60 mph took only 4.5 seconds?three seconds quicker than the stock Marauder. The quarter-mile zipped by in 13.1 seconds at 108 mph (versus 15.5 seconds at 91 mph for the stock car). Right about the time the factory car hits 100 mph, Brown's car is doing 130. "

And I swear someone does a stickshift conversion on it.
I saw a test of the same car in MM&FF or 5.0 Mustang I think.? It wouldn't be hard to do a stick conversion yourself because the auto gear selector is floor mounted already and a tranny from any Mustang will bolt up to the Mustang engine that is in the car.

EDIT:? I think my mind may be changing, the more I talk about the Marauder.?

EDIT 2:  There!  My mind has been changed.  I changed my vote to the Marauder.

S204STi

I think I accidentally voted for the Impala, but although I am a huge fan of the 90s SS impala, I have to say the Marauder is more appealing due to the fact that you can get one that is less than 5 years old, whereas any Impala SS is going to be near or over 10 years old.? If you can get a modern classic like that you might as well get it new(er).

[edit] fixed vote!

ChrisV

Quote from: NACar on April 24, 2007, 12:03:51 PM
Why do you guys like pushrods so much? To change the camshaft, you have to remove the whole engine, or at least disassemble the entire front end of the car! OHC's are much easier to change cams. But that is beside, the point, because all the Maurader needs is a smaller pulley on the SUPERCHARGER!  :rockon:

It's not that hard to do a camshaft on a pushrod engine, otherwise it wouldn't be such a popular mod. Working on the LT1 is easy. (as is bolting on a supercharger)

I've also seen Impalas with the Camaro 6 speed, and I've seen them on autocross tracks outcornering much more traditional sporting cars.

Impala for me, although the prices of each is what steered me towards the equally evil E38.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 24, 2007, 01:01:15 PM
I saw a test of the same car in MM&FF or 5.0 Mustang I think.  It wouldn't be hard to do a stick conversion yourself because the auto gear selector is floor mounted already and a tranny from any Mustang will bolt up to the Mustang engine that is in the car.

EDIT:  I think my mind may be changing, the more I talk about the Marauder. 

EDIT 2:  There!  My mind has been changed.  I changed my vote to the Marauder.

I was on the debate team for a short time in high school.   :praise:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hounddog

Marauder.  Supercharge it, larger injectors, bigger fuel pump, MSI ignition and wires and you are close to or over 400 hp.  Now include a super chip, shift point upgrade, cold air induction,  handling package from Koni, and Brembo slot and drilled rotors with Hawk ceramic performance pads   and for $8000 you have a nearly track ready 450+ hp super sedan. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

pommes-t

The Chevy Caprice/Impala has always been one of my dream cars (yes, german kids dream of american full sizers). It's such a cool, big and to me exotic car. It's simply THE american sedan to me.

The Marauder/Grand Marquis/Crown Vic/Town car... are nice, but they don't have the same "soul" an Impala has.

And the Impala SS with that Corvette engine was something way more special than the (compared to 55AMGs or even high output Holdens) ordinary Marauder!

IMPALA FOR ME, PLEASE!

SVT666

The more I think about it, the more I want this Marauder.  Maybe I'll get one and do a tranny swap instead of a Mustang........................OH FUCK!  I need to find someone who will slap me.

Vinsanity

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 24, 2007, 11:25:46 AM
Marauders in Canada are going for $20 K and up and Impala SS is going for between $10K to 15K

well at those prices, I'll just save up a little bit more and get me a Charget R/T :devil:

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 24, 2007, 03:16:06 PM
well at those prices, I'll just save up a little bit more and get me a Charget R/T :devil:
A base Charger R/T  is $40,000 CDN.  The prices I quoted are in CDN dollars.

Vinsanity

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 24, 2007, 03:24:59 PM
A base Charger R/T? is $40,000 CDN.? The prices I quoted are in CDN dollars.

oh I know...I just checked autotrader, and the Marauders and Imp's in my area cost that much in American dollars :( (whereas I found an 06 Charger R/T with 20k miles for $25k USD)
I should've mentioned that in my previous post