Question for you guys about SUV's

Started by hounddog, April 24, 2007, 01:41:13 PM

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on April 26, 2007, 02:39:00 PM
There are plenty of 2wd SUV's out there...
Maybe where you live.  Not here.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 02:46:36 PM
Maybe where you live.? Not here.

They exist as an offering, but I don't see too many on the lots.

The 2WD versions tend to be strippers, and dealerships seem to avoid those like the plague.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 02:45:53 PM
Body roll is a bad thing, otherwise it wouldn't be a carmaker's objective to reduce it as much as possible.? Drive a first generation Sportage and then tell me you think bodyroll isn't a bad thing.

Stop talking out of your ass. Body roll must be reduced on SUV's because they have a higher roll-center. Thus, they must have large sway bars and have to suffer with a stiffer ride. If they didn't do that, wheels would be coming off the ground in turns and people would be freaking out. Minivans have a lower roll-center, so they can get away with having more body roll so they can enjoy having a smoother ride.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

Quote from: NACar on April 26, 2007, 02:53:30 PM
Stop talking out of your ass. Body roll must be reduced on SUV's because they have a higher roll-center. Thus, they must have large sway bars and have to suffer with a stiffer ride. If they didn't do that, wheels would be coming off the ground in turns and people would be freaking out. Minivans have a lower roll-center, so they can get away with having more body roll so they can enjoy having a smoother ride.

SUV's also need stiff suspensions to remain competent off-road.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Tave on April 26, 2007, 02:57:28 PM
SUV's also need stiff suspensions to remain competent off-road.

Not necessarily. In most off-road situations, the suspension must be able to articulate enough to keep the wheels on the ground. Stiff anti-roll bars prevent that from happening, so often times offroaders disconnect the sway bars before hitting the trail.

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on April 26, 2007, 02:53:30 PM
Body roll is still a bad thing.  That's why every car manufacturer out there tries to minimize it as much as possible.  Why don't YOU stop talking out of your ass.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 03:00:37 PM
Body roll is still a bad thing.? That's why every car manufacturer out there tries to minimize it as much as possible.? Why don't YOU stop talking out of your ass.

Ok Hemi66666, try this: weld the axles of your truck directly to the frame, then tell me how much you hate body roll.  :rolleyes:

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on April 26, 2007, 03:00:00 PM
Not necessarily. In most off-road situations, the suspension must be able to articulate enough to keep the wheels on the ground. Stiff anti-roll bars prevent that from happening, so often times offroaders disconnect the sway bars before hitting the trail.
Yes, but dedicated offroad suspension is far stiffer then anything you would want on the road.  If you go offroad with soft suspension your truck bounces too much.  Stiffer suspension keeps the bouncing to a minimum.  Disconnecting anti-roll bars gives better articulation but it doesn't soften the suspension.

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on April 26, 2007, 03:02:14 PM
Ok Hemi66666, try this: weld the axles of your truck directly to the frame, then tell me how much you hate body roll.? :rolleyes:
You're confusing things.  The ride would suck, but cornering would be awesome.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 03:04:10 PM
Yes, but dedicated offroad suspension is far stiffer then anything you would want on the road.? If you go offroad with soft suspension your truck bounces too much.? Stiffer suspension keeps the bouncing to a minimum.? Disconnecting anti-roll bars gives better articulation but it doesn't soften the suspension.

This just proves to me you're talking out of your ass about suspension.

You're telling me that a SOFT suspension bounces too much? While a STIFFER suspention bounces less?

This is basic stuff man, a stiffer spring has a higher oscillating frequency than a softer spring.

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on April 26, 2007, 03:10:55 PM
This just proves to me you're talking out of your ass about suspension.

You're telling me that a SOFT suspension bounces too much? While a STIFFER suspention bounces less?

This is basic stuff man, a stiffer spring has a higher oscillating frequency than a softer spring.
Have you ever ridden or driven a truck that was purposely built for offroading?  Stiff shocks keeps the bouncing in check.   The ride on road is not that great, but for offroading it's perfect.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 03:38:54 PM
Have you ever ridden or driven a truck that was purposely built for offroading?? Stiff shocks keeps the bouncing in check.? ?The ride on road is not that great, but for offroading it's perfect.

More with the silly questions meant to suggest that I am not talking from experience. Then you start talking about shocks, which are not springs. All of this BS you keep spewing out, it just flows from your finger tips like you've been possessed by Rosie O'Donnell or something, doesn't it? Or are you actually trying?

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on April 26, 2007, 03:48:16 PM
More with the silly questions meant to suggest that I am not talking from experience. Then you start talking about shocks, which are not springs. All of this BS you keep spewing out, it just flows from your finger tips like you've been possessed by Rosie O'Donnell or something, doesn't it? Or are you actually trying?
Who said ANYTHING about springs?? It wasn't me.  I was talking about suspension as a whole.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 03:49:31 PM
Who said ANYTHING about springs? It wasn't me.

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 03:04:10 PM
Yes, but dedicated offroad suspension is far stiffer then anything you would want on the road.? If you go offroad with soft suspension your truck bounces too much.? Stiffer suspension keeps the bouncing to a minimum.? Disconnecting anti-roll bars gives better articulation but it doesn't soften the suspension.

Anit-roll bars are springs. Would you care to change your story now? (BTW, the highlighted statement is completely false as well)

SVT666

Holy shit.  You just won't quit will you?

1. Offroaders disconnect anti-roll bars to allow more articulation.
2. Offroaders use very stiff shocks to keep the bouncing under control
3. Stiff shocks make for a rougher and stiffer ride
4. softer shocks allow more bouncing offroad but a more comfortable on road ride.

What isn't true about what I just said?

Eye of the Tiger

Holy shit, you're still talking out of your ass! Now you're talking about "shocks", but before you were talking about "suspension".  I can't continue to argue with you if you keep changing your story.
:rolleyes:

Tave

Are not shocks a component of suspension?

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on April 26, 2007, 04:20:30 PM
Yes they are.  A very important part too, I might add.

thewizard16

This thread has lost it's way.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Tave on April 26, 2007, 04:20:30 PM

What the fuck is your problem?

Raza

Quote from: Tave on April 26, 2007, 12:49:41 PM
It must be tough to be so much more intelligent than everyone else.

It is, but I try to be zen about it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

Boys, boys..................shut up! :P

SVT666

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Catman on April 26, 2007, 06:53:36 PM
Boys, boys..................shut up! :P

But.... suspension.... shocks...  :mask:

Catman

Quote from: NACar on April 26, 2007, 07:27:18 PM
But.... suspension.... shocks...  :mask:

Hopefully that car in your avatar has them! :mask:

sparkplug

Man, this is nuts. I'd rather argue about world peanuts... I mean piece....err I mean peace.

TheIntrepid

Jesus Christ; you guys take some things way too far.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

hounddog

Thanks you big jerks.? Hijacking should be illegal or something.? ?:cry:

I drove several SUV's, a couple vans, and a couple sedans.? I am keeping some notes, and we are going to drive a couple more cars tomorrow.? I will give more detailed report if you guys wish.? If not, I will just tell you which ones I liked the most.?

Whatever you do, do not start hijacking again or I will write every single note I have down about every single car we looked at.? Every letter.? Got it?? Good~!

Legal disclaimer;   I just noticed that I wrote that I drove these cars.  I would never do something so illegal as drive without a license.   

Ever.

Honest.

:rolleyes:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.