Mazdaspeed3 is too powerful

Started by SVT666, April 24, 2007, 03:56:46 PM

Onslaught

I would rather they just turbo the 2.0 and put a front mounted intercooler on it like the last MS MX-5. They work better anyway and it wouldn't have to change the hood.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 25, 2007, 11:00:13 AM
RWD cars don't have torque steer.? They have oversteer and that is fun.? Torque steer happens, and it happens without you wanting it to.? Torque steer sucks.?

RWD cars with semi-trailing arm rear suspensions and limited slips can torque steer.

Oversteer can happen without you wanting it to as well.

Torque steer isn't a good trait, but there are many, many more traits that make up the full handling dynamics of any vehicle than just torque steer. It isn't a deal breaker. It is predictable. It is manageable.

Axle hop sucks. Dead on-center feel sucks. Body roll sucks. Peglegging diffs suck. Excessive understeer sucks. Excessive oversteer sucks. High polar moments of inertia sucks. Bad weight distribution sucks. G-induced fuel and oil starvation suck big time.

Lots of things about a car can suck, and most of them have nothing to do with what end is driven.

Sure, FWD has its drawbacks. But the honest truth is that the limits at which it becomes a detriment are so far above anything that anybody should be doing on the street that its pretty much a moot point.

And I find it funny that a guy who drives a pick-up is so hung up on a handling characteristic...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

omicron

Those getting aroused by the MS3 will be pleased to know that a 310-320hp supercharged Toyota Aurion FWD is on its way.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: omicron on April 25, 2007, 11:45:53 PM
Those getting aroused by the MS3 will be pleased to know that a 310-320hp supercharged Toyota Aurion FWD is on its way.

What is that, like a Camry or something?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

omicron

Quote from: NACar on April 25, 2007, 11:47:04 PM
What is that, like a Camry or something?

Instead of having a V6 Camry, we Colonials changed the front and rear end, kept all the middle bits, and called it an Aurion. Same V6, same interior, same FWD.

In essence, a Camry that will have you romping along at 14654km/h for ten kilometres into the crash! It's an engineering marvel.

r0tor

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 25, 2007, 05:12:38 AM

They can keep the power... just turn down the torque...

They already do that since boost is cut when the wheel is turned...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 25, 2007, 10:59:45 PM
And I find it funny that a guy who drives a pick-up is so hung up on a handling characteristic...
So because I drive a pickup I don't have a right to like good handling cars?  That's the dumbest thing I have read on here in a long time.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 09:42:02 AM
So because I drive a pickup I don't have a right to like good handling cars?? That's the dumbest thing I have read on here in a long time.

I think he has a good point. :huh:

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on April 26, 2007, 04:43:55 PM
I think he has a good point. :huh:
Well then I guess anyone who drives a car on these forums can't say a thing in the Tough Guys section, and if you drive a Camry, then you better not be posting in the Fast Lane.   :rolleyes:

SaltyDog

Boo hoo, the car has too much power.  I can deal with that "problem".

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SaltyDog on April 26, 2007, 05:28:30 PM
Boo hoo, the car has too much power.? I can deal with that "problem".

+2

Onslaught

+2

If it didn't have this much power then people would talk about how this or that could outrun it. I would rather have a little too much than not enough.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2007, 05:07:31 PM
Well then I guess anyone who drives a car on these forums can't say a thing in the Tough Guys section, and if you drive a Camry, then you better not be posting in the Fast Lane.? ?:rolleyes:

Not at all!  If I were in the Tough Guys pontificating about axle articulation during offroad driving, one would have to wonder why I worry about it.

LonghornTX

So because I drive a pickup I don't have a right to like good handling cars?? That's the dumbest thing I have read on here in a long time.
I agree  :ohyeah:.  One can love trucks (and their associated poor handling characteristics) and well handling sports cars at the same time.  It's called being an auto enthusiast....
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

LonghornTX

This is kind of off topic, but I saw a new MS3 the other day and the paint on it had such bad orange peel that I almost thought it was a $100 dollar respray.

Onslaught

Quote from: LonghornTX on April 26, 2007, 11:01:39 PM
This is kind of off topic, but I saw a new MS3 the other day and the paint on it had such bad orange peel that I almost thought it was a $100 dollar respray.
Was it the whole car or just parts of it. Unfortunately it's very common for cars to be fixed and put back out on the lot as new.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on April 26, 2007, 07:16:37 PM
Not at all!? If I were in the Tough Guys pontificating about axle articulation during offroad driving, one would have to wonder why I worry about it.
I wouldn't question it at all.  I love trucks and offroading and as you and everyone else here knows I also love mucle cars, sports cars, performance sedans, and SUVs.  I care about performance and if for some reason people don't understand how I can own a pickup and care about handling characteristics, then too bad.  It's not that hard to understand.  To suggest that someone can't possibly care about the handling and performance of cars they don't own at this moment, is assinine at best.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Onslaught on April 27, 2007, 05:41:52 AM
Was it the whole car or just parts of it. Unfortunately it's very common for cars to be fixed and put back out on the lot as new.
It was not the whole car, only the doors (both sides) and rear bumper.  Basically everything but the front bumper, front quarters, and hood.  If that was a fix, then I feel bad for the person who bought it because they got screwed!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: SaltyDog on April 26, 2007, 05:28:30 PM
Boo hoo, the car has too much power. I can deal with that "problem".

Sounds like a Clarkson-esque problem.

If I had that car, I'd be looking at ways to add even MORE power.

Soup DeVille

No, that's not what I'm saying.

Does the crappy handling of your pick-up entirely ruin the driving experience or the validity of the vehicle?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 27, 2007, 06:37:22 PM
No, that's not what I'm saying.

Does the crappy handling of your pick-up entirely ruin the driving experience or the validity of the vehicle?
Trucks aren't about handling and the driving experience.  They are about hauling 2000 lbs of shit and towing trailers and going off-roading.  Having said that, my truck handles fairly well for what it is. 

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 27, 2007, 07:56:32 PM
Trucks aren't about handling and the driving experience.? They are about hauling 2000 lbs of shit and towing trailers and going off-roading.? Having said that, my truck handles fairly well for what it is.?

I'd second that. All our dodges have handled better than our GM products. Ford too, but we haven't got them since the early 90's. We had a 94 that I drove, but it was beat to shit anyway.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Champ

I really need to go drive this car, because I think it will act much like mine.  Looks like they should have done a little more to the suspension, though.

FWD can be fun, and I would be thoroughly surprised if a car of similar weight and similar power, but RWD, could keep up with mine on something like a highway entrance ramp.

A lot of you guys nag on FWD too much  :/  or what do you call them... RWD whores?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 27, 2007, 07:56:32 PM
Having said that, my truck handles fairly well for what it is.?

Exactly!

The crappy handling has not ruined your pick-up.

Just as torque steer will not ruin an otherwise solid and well handling vehicle.

(BTW, stop telling me what trucks are for. I drove trucks for a living once upon a time. 11-axle steel hsulers to be exact. Those were trucks. You have a pick-up.)

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 28, 2007, 11:50:14 AM
Exactly!

Crappier handling wouldn't have ruined my truck either because, like I said before, handling isn't what trucks are about.

QuoteJust as torque steer will not ruin an otherwise solid and well handling vehicle.
Well, if you like the front tires trying to pull the steering wheel out of your hands, then yes I guess you're right.

Quote(BTW, stop telling me what trucks are for. I drove trucks for a living once upon a time. 11-axle steel hsulers to be exact. Those were trucks. You have a pick-up.)

Why is that guys who drove or drive a truck for a living always get so upset when someone refers to a pickup as a truck?  Is it low self-esteem?  A pickup is a truck, and so is a tractor trailer unit.  They're just different kinds of trucks.

sportyaccordy

I still think they can keep the power and dial down the torque. Let it be a rising torque curve. It would be good for gas, handling, and engine longevity.

FordSVT

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 29, 2007, 08:13:21 AM
I still think they can keep the power and dial down the torque. Let it be a rising torque curve. It would be good for gas, handling, and engine longevity.

Not a surprise a Honda owner would be begging Mazda to "dial back the torque".

Finally got behind the wheel of a MPS3 yesterday, I take back 90% of what I've said about it. I'll make a seperate post.
-FordSVT-

omicron

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 28, 2007, 04:26:34 PM
Crappier handling wouldn't have ruined my truck either because, like I said before, handling isn't what trucks are about.
Well, if you like the front tires trying to pull the steering wheel out of your hands, then yes I guess you're right.
Why is that guys who drove or drive a truck for a living always get so upset when someone refers to a pickup as a truck? Is it low self-esteem? A pickup is a truck, and so is a tractor trailer unit. They're just different kinds of trucks.

Pick-up?

Psfht.

Ute :praise:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 28, 2007, 11:50:14 AM
Exactly!

Just as torque steer will not ruin an otherwise solid and well handling vehicle.

(BTW, stop telling me what trucks are for. I drove trucks for a living once upon a time. 11-axle steel hsulers to be exact. Those were trucks. You have a pick-up.)

Holy cow that's a lot of friggin axles!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: omicron on April 29, 2007, 12:12:00 PM
Pick-up?

Psfht.

Ute :praise:

I agree completely, utes > pickups. It's sad that we can't get those here. I guess we just feel the need to have a 10,000lb towing capacity and enough ground clearence to climb over small boulders on in our daily drivers. You know, just in case.
:P