State Police Say BMW Traveling in Excess of 100 MPH

Started by L. ed foote, April 28, 2007, 11:07:40 AM

dazzleman

Quote from: mazda6er on April 29, 2007, 12:28:06 PM
I'm sorry, but if you can't control a car at 100 mph on what appears to be an expressway, in dry conditions, you shouldn't be on the road.

Do you know that road?  It's a very curvy road, pretty narrow, and has a lot of blind spots, plus heavy traffic most of the time.  100 MPH is excessive for that road.  All it would take would be to come upon another car beyond a blind spot to make you lose control and crash at that speed.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

ro51092

What, NSP, narrow? Not really. Late in the night, especially in a place like Dix Hills, 100-120 mph is definitely feasible, I'm living proof.

dazzleman

Quote from: ro51092 on April 29, 2007, 02:13:18 PM
What, NSP, narrow? Not really. Late in the night, especially in a place like Dix Hills, 100-120 mph is definitely feasible, I'm living proof.

I must be thinking of a different part.  I've driven on that road, and it was pretty curvy and the lanes are not particularly wide.

Whatever, they're dead, so they obviously did something wrong.  The car is unrecognizable.  That was some crash.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raza

Quote from: J86 on April 29, 2007, 12:35:31 PM
Yeah- I never understood why people having blowouts at highway speeds causes them to freak out and crash.  I've blown the right front , and I blew a tire on a trailer (two boat, top heavy, with weight outboard), and absolutely nothing untoward happened.  I'm not saying ya can't lose control somehow (and although I was at highway speeds I wasnt doin a buck fifteen...) but in my experience it really isn't that big a deal.

Front blowouts aren't that bad.  Rears are awful. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

Quote from: mazda6er on April 29, 2007, 12:28:06 PM
I'm sorry, but if you can't control a car at 100 mph on what appears to be an expressway, in dry conditions, you shouldn't be on the road.
I probably can't, but then again, i rarely go over 70 nowadays, so it doesn't matter.

mazda6er

Quote from: Raghavan on April 29, 2007, 03:09:24 PM
I probably can't, but then again, i rarely go over 70 nowadays, so it doesn't matter.
I'm absolutely positive you could.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raghavan

J86

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8835.msg433499#msg433499 date=1177879151
Front blowouts aren't that bad.? Rears are awful.?

I figured a trailer blowout, esp. on my rig, would suck...I was rather surprised by the lack of drama.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: dazzleman on April 29, 2007, 07:28:35 AM
I don't mean to be too picky here, but I think that our moral decay is corrupting our language, and we have to fight it.? Too many people do bad things, and then when they get caught, the say they're sorry (they're really only sorry they got caught) and say that they made a 'mistake.'? Their only 'mistake' was in thinking they wouldn't get caught, and if they hadn't gotten caught, they wouldn't consider what they did wrong as a mistake.? That is a corruption of language.

They don't even say "I'm sorry," anymore,

it's "My bad".   Which means, what???
Better than not admitting culpability, I guess..
Will

Eye of the Tiger

IIRC, the times I haven't said "sorry" after being pulled over correspond pretty well with the times I have received a ticket instead of a warning.  :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

J86

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 29, 2007, 04:51:28 PM

it's "My bad".? ?Which means, what???

hehe, my coach HATES that phrase, anyone who uses it is subject to a ridiculously long lecture...

Raza

What if you're not sorry?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TurboDan

Quote from: Tave on April 29, 2007, 11:14:31 AM

If you'd notice, I stressed in my post how bad a car that was for a 17 year old.

Why?  Because it costs more than a Honda and is made in Germany?  It wasn't going any faster than a used Altima could go.  Hell, a regular ol' V6 Accord has 244HP these days.  Just because it's not a POS beater doesn't mean it's more dangerous - in fact, a BMW is ten times more safe than most of the vehicles kids drive. 

Sorry, but I hate when this "logic" is brought up.  There's nothing wrong with a young driver being behind the wheel of a safe, solid, well-handling German car with a decent engine.  Granted, the 335i is faster than most kids should have, but a BMW 3er is not a poor decision on a car for a young driver at all.  When I was in high school, the kids who riced out their Hondas and had ridiculously modded Stangs and Camaros were way more of a threat on the highways than the kids that had 3ers and Saabs.

TurboDan

Quote from: ro51092 on April 29, 2007, 11:19:55 AM
Safe in that particular area? When I lived in NY, I drove there millions of times. I've clocked 120 on it, (late at night, though). It's not the area he drove in, it's the fact that he lost control of the car. You have to be familiar with the area before coming to those conclusions.

I agree.  I've driven at very high speeds on roads in the NYC area ALOT less safe than the NSP.  West Side Hwy, LIE, Belt Pkwy. come to mind.

TurboDan

Quote from: ro51092 on April 29, 2007, 02:13:18 PM

I agree.  It's not a narrow roadway IMO.  Judging by most NYC roads, it's kinda wide actually.

TurboDan

Any by the way, it took like 10 minutes to clean up the front page of this thread.  Trep/Rag, please take any and all juvenile arguments to PMs, K?

L. ed foote

Member, Self Preservation Society

L. ed foote

Quote from: TurboDan on April 29, 2007, 06:49:36 PM
I agree.  I've driven at very high speeds on roads in the NYC area ALOT less safe than the NSP.  West Side Hwy, LIE, Belt Pkwy. come to mind.

You think those roads are less safe than the NSP?  Interesting...  I've hit triple digits on all of them

850CSi

Quote from: dazzleman on April 29, 2007, 05:25:12 AM
Farris, he obviously couldn't control the car, or the accident wouldn't have happened.

That's not necessarily true, a million different things could have caused this; we will never know.

850CSi

Quote from: dazzleman on April 29, 2007, 05:23:59 AM
What about other people on the road?? They entrust their lives to you also, and they're there whether you have passengers in the car or not.

I'm much more likely to injure myself or a fellow occupant than another person on the road in a serious accident. That said, my driving style does change with traffic.

omicron

TurboDan

Quote from: L. ed foote on April 29, 2007, 10:00:10 PM
You think those roads are less safe than the NSP?  Interesting...  I've hit triple digits on all of them

I've hit triple digits on those three too.  I still think they're not as safe as the NSP, though.  It's suburbs vs. city, really.  The NSP seems wider and more open, even though it can wind at times.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: omicron on April 29, 2007, 11:42:59 PM
Wow. That's a shockingly bad crash.

I'm surprised you're not laughing.

I do agree with Dan's views here. There's no reason to say he is too young to have a car like that. I mean, Yoder's like 19 and has a 350Z, just to make an example. He can obviously control it. This kid's bad judgment got him killed, nothing more.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

the Teuton

I've been in the back seat of an M3 going 100+ on a BUSY highway.  It's enough to scare the hell out of anyone, and I'm very seriously thinking that when I get my car back I'm not going to ride with him again.  All of my friends around here are speedfreaks--M3, Firebird Formula V8, etc.  It makes me a little uneasy when I'm in a car not under my control going that fast. 

I rode with a friend in Pittsburgh in his E30 and he never went above 70.  For someone who owned a 750 hp car (his Supra he just sold), he was going basically the speed limit.  I don't get it, especially since there's nothing to prove.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

L. ed foote

It means "mea culpa"

Tave

Quote from: TurboDan on April 29, 2007, 06:48:34 PM
Why?? Because it costs more than a Honda and is made in Germany?? It wasn't going any faster than a used Altima could go.? Hell, a regular ol' V6 Accord has 244HP these days.? Just because it's not a POS beater doesn't mean it's more dangerous - in fact, a BMW is ten times more safe than most of the vehicles kids drive.?

Sorry, but I hate when this "logic" is brought up.? There's nothing wrong with a young driver being behind the wheel of a safe, solid, well-handling German car with a decent engine.? Granted, the 335i is faster than most kids should have, but a BMW 3er is not a poor decision on a car for a young driver at all.? When I was in high school, the kids who riced out their Hondas and had ridiculously modded Stangs and Camaros were way more of a threat on the highways than the kids that had 3ers and Saabs.

Well, sure dude. Taken that far, my '86 4runner could get up to 100 mph, but it hardly has the same potential in it to get out of control as fast as a 300/300 twin turbo coupe. C'mon man, we're not talking about Farris tooting around in his 325 here. The 335 is a seriously fast car, and its not something you just "plop" a seventeen year old into.

And I'm not trying to condemn anyone's decisions here. As I pointed out, we know jack shit about the extenuating circumstances involved in the incident. Perhaps the kid was perfectly capable. I won't decide. All we know is that it's horrible.

C'mon man, a used altima? Yes, it can go 100, but the friggin beemer gets there much quicker. The faster a vehicle is, the shorter your decisions happen when you start driving aggressively.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

I've done 130 in my Passat, and it didn't really begin to struggle until about 120.  And it's got 170bhp.  An Altima 3.5 has like 255. 

People drive 100mph on unrestricted Autobahns everyday.  100mph is actually a pretty safe speed, if you're paying attention.  If you're not, 10mph is unsafe. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i