944 Turbo vs. RX-7 vs. M3 vs. Trans Am

Started by Raza , June 18, 2005, 03:25:41 PM

Raza

Okay guys, as you all know, I've been toying with the idea of picking up a sports car on the cheap.  I've brought it down to these few cars.  

1987-88 944 Turbo

1993-95 RX-7 Twin Turbo

1997 M3 (4 door preferred)

1998-00 Trans Am

Any thoughts?  Opinions?  Suggestions?  What would you do?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Raza

I do love the 944, but I think the M3 will be more reliable and the RX7 and TA (even an LT1) will be faster.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

QuoteI do love the 944, but I think the M3 will be more reliable and the RX7 and TA (even an LT1) will be faster.
I know it makes the least sense, but the 944 Turbo is my favorite. Sort of like how I like the A4 2.0t more than the 325i despite the fact the 325i is really a better car. There's just an unexplainable attraction. Of course, if you don't have that same attraction to the 944t, then one of the other cars would work better. Just get what you want, even if it doesn't look as good on paper.  

Raza

QuoteI do love the 944, but I think the M3 will be more reliable and the RX7 and TA (even an LT1) will be faster.
I know it makes the least sense, but the 944 Turbo is my favorite. Sort of like how I like the A4 2.0t more than the 325i despite the fact the 325i is really a better car. There's just an unexplainable attraction. Of course, if you don't have that same attraction to the 944t, then one of the other cars would work better. Just get what you want, even if it doesn't look as good on paper.
My issues with the 944t are that of reliability and availability.  I know the RX7 won't be much more reliable, but it's so bloody fast!  It's also a few years newer.

If I go for an M3 4 door, I could very well just replace the Passat.  No need for two sedans--I'd never drive the Passat.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

Raza, are you sure you can handle the interior of the Pontiac?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raza

I've sat in a couple.  It's no worse than my friend's Mustang.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

Oh ok. But I think it might be hard find one in 6 speed form. I always seem to come upon autos.....

Raza

QuoteOh ok. But I think it might be hard find one in 6 speed form. I always seem to come upon autos.....
I've found a bunch of sticks.  Don't think I've seen a V8 with an auto before, actually.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

QuoteOh ok. But I think it might be hard find one in 6 speed form. I always seem to come upon autos.....
I've found a bunch of sticks.  Don't think I've seen a V8 with an auto before, actually.
Really? Ive never seen a V8 with a stick. But if you do, I say go for one, and then do a spring/shock/swaybar upgrade.

TBR

My issues with the 944t are that of reliability and availability.  I know the RX7 won't be much more reliable, but it's so bloody fast!  It's also a few years newer.

If I go for an M3 4 door, I could very well just replace the Passat.  No need for two sedans--I'd never drive the Passat.
I understand those concerns, but if you really want the 944t then get it anyway, no reason to compromise!  

Raza

I understand those concerns, but if you really want the 944t then get it anyway, no reason to compromise!
True, but I love all these cars.  The M3 for being practical speed (though an E46 325i would be at a similar price), I love the RX-7 (if I can find one unmolested), and the T/A is just so bloody brutal.  The 944 has been my lust object for a while, and I don't want to venture away from German cars, but the RX7 is a sexy auto.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

True, but I love all these cars.  The M3 for being practical speed (though an E46 325i would be at a similar price), I love the RX-7 (if I can find one unmolested), and the T/A is just so bloody brutal.  The 944 has been my lust object for a while, and I don't want to venture away from German cars, but the RX7 is a sexy auto.
Definitely, the RX-7 is a very nice car, I have looked at them more than once but with my budget I would end up with N/A version in crappy condition.  

Raza

Yeah, the old ones are hot too, but the third gen rocks!

That one's got no spoiler.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteYeah, the old ones are hot too, but the third gen rocks!

You said 1991-1993, the 3rd gen didn't come out until 1993.

Run Away

If you mean 3rd gen, I'd definitley go for a RX-7. So sexy.
Upgrade the cooling system and leave the rest stock and you shouldn't have reliability problems.

Raza

Then I meant 93-95.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Then I meant 93-95.
That makes more sense.  

Raza

Yeah, just a little mistake on my part.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Wanna know what I'd do?

Find a '99 323i (You can find those for around $15K. I nearly got one for $10K before I bought the A4 [a high-milage model]) and throw that AA supercharger in there.

BMWDave

I agree with you on the 944 turbo part (though not on the audi vs. BMW part :lol:  ;) ).  The 944 is also my favorite.  It is just so incredibly good looking, handles great, and is very fast.  Every time I see one I think its one of the best looking cars ever made.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

MrH

QuoteIf you mean 3rd gen, I'd definitley go for a RX-7. So sexy.
Upgrade the cooling system and leave the rest stock and you shouldn't have reliability problems.
Guess you don't read the RX-7 boards much, do you?

I'd say go with the 944 Turbo or Trans Am.  Even though I'm a rotary engine fanatic, the third gen, twin turbo RX-7's were not reliable by any means.  I'd steer away from it until you know what you're getting into with that car.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Run Away

QuoteIf you mean 3rd gen, I'd definitley go for a RX-7. So sexy.
Guess you don't read the RX-7 boards much, do you?

I'd say go with the 944 Turbo or Trans Am.  Even though I'm a rotary engine fanatic, the third gen, twin turbo RX-7's were not reliable by any means.  I'd steer away from it until you know what you're getting into with that car.
Nope, that just the basics on what I know (they have weak cooling systems).

I'm a MKIII Supra guy, since they are more feasable to me ATM.

Submariner

But my guess (well, i'm almost positive) that the M3, RX7, and 944 will handle a good deal better than the Trans.  

For me, I would narrow it down to the RX7 and the 944.  IMO they are the best looking and offer the same amount of performance as the M3.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

But my guess (well, i'm almost positive) that the M3, RX7, and 944 will handle a good deal better than the Trans.  

For me, I would narrow it down to the RX7 and the 944.  IMO they are the best looking and offer the same amount of performance as the M3.
I've always had a soft spot for the F body.  But they don't handle poorly, however on a road course, it'll probably be embarassed by an RX7, M3, or 944.  The M3's just a pipe dream.  I imagine if I pick up an RX or 944, I'll try and get an E46 328i 5 speed later on to replace the Passat.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Colonel Cadillac

QuoteWanna know what I'd do?

Find a '99 323i (You can find those for around $15K. I nearly got one for $10K before I bought the A4 [a high-milage model]) and throw that AA supercharger in there.
But, you can just wait a little while and get a new 325i/330i!

Raza

QuoteWanna know what I'd do?

But, you can just wait a little while and get a new 325i/330i!
I prefer the E46 to the E90.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i