Power steering hiatus. :)

Started by VTEC_Inside, May 07, 2007, 10:59:14 AM

VTEC_Inside

My Accord has been leaking something again for the last little while. Nothing significant at first, but where possible I stop any leaks that make it to the ground.

Well, I've been busy/lazy so I haven't really touched it. The nicer weather is here so the car has been sitting anyway. Doesn't leak while sitting, so....

Finally had time to get under it this past Friday. When running this thing is leaking like crazy. Sure there are the odd little oil leak here and there, but nothing I could see could account for the drips I was seeing. I mean oil would HAVE to run uphill along a cross member to drip from where I was seeing this.

Creep a little further back and that tell tale smell of hydraulic fluid enters my nose. Sure enough the majority of this steady stream is comming directly out of one of the holes in the power steering mini skid plate (yeah its a little higher than that, but thats what it looks like).

Laziness re-enters the picture. Do I remove the cover plate whose bolts are probably seized good and solid, and then inspect the true cause of the leak, which at the very least is going to mean replacing a seal or line? OR, loosen two bolts and remove the belt from the power steering pump?

I went with the latter. Mind you the pump held pretty firm in position even with both bolts pretty loose. I needed a pry bar and a couple taps from a hammer, but I got it to move :)

So I drove it to work today. It needed the run, it doesn't like to sit like it did all last week. You know, even at slow speeds its not really all that bad. Sure it requires a little increased effort, but far from anything that would have me under there today to find the source of the leak. The leak has stopped btw.

I can't help but think and laugh at what my gf said when the PS belt on her Integra broke, "I can't steer!". I was actually pretty pissed off when she said that because I was just imagining what I was going to have to fix until it slowly became clear to me that she actually could still steer.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

sportyaccordy

The Accord I just bought doesn't have P/S. I feel like a race car driver. I'm getting it reinstalled this weekend though. The added feel is kinda cool, but I live in NYC aka the birthplace of parallel parking, and it's a pain. Plus, when I'm thrashing it, it gets kinda squirrelly at the limit... but that could just be the car :shrug:

Secret Chimp

Could you perhaps give yourself less power steering through an underdrive pulley or some such?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

850CSi

My uncle used to have a mid-'90s Skoda that lacked PS. It was a relatively light car, though, so you didn't really need it, although it could be a bit of a pain when parking.

Damn thing had a lot of body roll and such, but it was still so much fun to toss around.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 07, 2007, 02:14:46 PM
The Accord I just bought doesn't have P/S. I feel like a race car driver. I'm getting it reinstalled this weekend though. The added feel is kinda cool, but I live in NYC aka the birthplace of parallel parking, and it's a pain. Plus, when I'm thrashing it, it gets kinda squirrelly at the limit... but that could just be the car :shrug:

Try getting a real manual rack instead of a bypassed power rack, it'll help a lot.

Also if you zero out the caster it will be easier to handle in parking lots, and give you less kick back under load when cornering. Your high speed stability might suffer though, but its worth trying some adjustemnts before giving up on it altogether.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

S204STi

That and dial out the negative front camber that his lowered vehicle likely has.  That might help his at-the-limit handling.  Wouldn't be surprised if the thing has a huge rear swaybar too.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: R-inge on May 07, 2007, 07:10:43 PM
That and dial out the negative front camber that his lowered vehicle likely has.? That might help his at-the-limit handling.? Wouldn't be surprised if the thing has a huge rear swaybar too.

Somebody's been reading...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

VTEC_Inside

Ok, so its leaking in two places. Thankfully both are low pressure lines. I cut up the one today and inserted a length of hose. I think that solves the majority of the leak, but I won't know for sure for a couple days to let everything else run off.

The other line is more of a seeper, but its doing it right at the fitting. Thankfully $24 replaces that one.

The main high pressure line isn't looking great, but doesn't appear to be leaking. That pos is $275CAD. Based on what I've seen, I'd be ordering that from the states if it comes to it, or pillaging the bone yard to look for a decent one.

280Z Turbo

A P/S rack is not designed for use without hydraulic assistance.

I wouldn't run without P/S for too long.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 08, 2007, 01:58:18 PM

Belt is back on already.

Curious though, what could go wrong in the long term provided there is still fluid in the system?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on May 08, 2007, 02:31:05 PM
Belt is back on already.

Curious though, what could go wrong in the long term provided there is still fluid in the system?

An automotive engineer friend of mine explained it to me before...

I think it has to do with putting force on parts that weren't designed for it and possibly the rack not getting the lubrication it needs.

I'm not really sure why.

S204STi

A hydraulic system is designed to apply force to either side of what is basically a spool valve, the side depending on the direction you turn the wheel.  The steering wheel and rack/pinion are not supposed to support the force required to turn the system back and forth, that task is placed on the hydraulic system (that spool valve-ish thing I was talking about, and the rack.)

VTEC_Inside

Well I've definitely stopped the major hemorage. Looks like when I replace the remaining leaking line I'll be back to dripless until the high pressure line give up.

I kinda wish I could have fixed it all at once. At least the next time I go under there it will be a hell of a lot cleaner though. I think thats probably the dirtiest I've gotten in the shortest amount of time working on my car. Freakin' power steering fluid dripping from everywhere.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 08, 2007, 01:58:18 PM

Why what happens?

My car hasn't had it's P/S for about 4 years...

And it's a P/S rack.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 10, 2007, 02:39:09 PM
Why what happens?

My car hasn't had it's P/S for about 4 years...

And it's a P/S rack.

A friend of mine raced a car with an unpowered P/S rack for a few years. The P/S rack had a quicker steering ratio than the manual rack that the car was available with. He never had any steering issues, but I guess when you put power back to it anything is possible.

Bad as it may be, I wouldn't be too worried, but then you can let us know :)

As for my P/S. I ordered a replacement for the remainng leaker today, as well as a replacement for the line that I cut and hosed, they were both cheap, $40CAD total.

I also dropped by Partsource. I can get the high pressure line aftermarket for only $95, which is a far cry from the $275 the dealer wants. I feel better about that now for when that line finally goes.

VTEC_Inside

Well it never really ended up being a hiatus of more than a day, but the leak is officially repaired now.

Replaced the remaining leaking line yesterday. Nothing like having to drop the swaybar to get the damn thing out...

SVT_Power

When i roll the explorer out of the driveway (late at night) without turning it on but putting it into neutral and i steer, am i steering without power steering?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

The Pirate

Quote from: M_power on May 17, 2007, 01:10:16 AM
When i roll the explorer out of the driveway (late at night) without turning it on but putting it into neutral and i steer, am i steering without power steering?

Yes.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

VTEC_Inside

Hiatus is back on... The high pressure line finally sprung a good leak.

New line is in trunk, but my ass is pretty comfortable on the couch.

VTEC_Inside

Line replacement in progress (lunch break).

Had to cut the feed line and use my extractor sockets to remove the fitting.

One more rotted out hose clamp on the leaking return line and its free.

All in all not too bad.

VTEC_Inside

Back together, no leaks. Just gotta wait till Monday to pick up another bottle of PS fluid. I only had enough to get it just under the min line....

Burnt my forearm on the exhaust while re-installing the "skid-plate". I swear its stinging more as time goes by.