Which one?

S-Series
11 (45.8%)
Ion
13 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Payman

Quote from: ifcar on May 13, 2007, 04:58:10 PM
I see early Saturns running fine all the time. You chose a much pricier competitor that was better, as it should be. Reliability stats based on surveys rather than anecdotes show the early Saturns as equals to Honda/Toyota/Nissan/anyone.

The Golf was priced on par with the SC1 ($13,000 ish). I'll take real world experiences and observations over magazine tests of new cars anyday. Remember how the mags all gushed over the '94 Neon when it came out? IIRC, the new Saturns were met with lukewarm reviews back in '89-'90. But to each their own I guess.

ifcar

A reliability survey is a collection of real-world experiences that is far more useful than three or four. It's not a magazine review.

Payman

Fair enough. I still don't like them. That being said, I recently looked at the new Outlook. VERY impressive!  :ohyeah:

3.0L V6

The engines in the S-series tended to die because they were prone to burning oil. If you check the oil, they're ok. But, for the 'put gas in it and that's all' type, they would consume oil until several quarts low....and ciao, engine.

the Teuton

Like I've said, my brother has a 1999 SL1 with 13xk mi on it since last August.  It's probably closer to 150k as we speak.  Other than repairs from accidents and general maintanence, it has run very well.  Speaking that he's beaten the hell out of it, I would take his word over most other people.  I know how he drives that thing.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Champ

Of note to this thread and Payman's real world accountability, Saturn didn't start selling cars until 1992 (maybe 1991).

Just curious if you were test driving prototypes in 1990?

Payman

IIRC, the '91s were on the dealer lots in November 1990 in Courtenay, BC. I bought the Golf in December. It was a '90.

Raghavan

Champ

Quote from: Payman on May 14, 2007, 10:34:38 AM
IIRC, the '91s were on the dealer lots in November 1990 in Courtenay, BC. I bought the Golf in December. It was a '90.
Fair enough.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TheIntrepid

the Aura should have been in this poll.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 16, 2007, 09:00:54 PM
the Aura should have been in this poll.

Aura is too big, but the Astra should be.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

Astra vs. Ion, do we really even need a poll to know what people would vote for?

omicron

Seeing as voting in the US is not compulsory, I exercise my right to abstain.