Test drove a Hummer H3

Started by saxonyron, May 12, 2007, 11:30:02 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: southdiver1 on May 24, 2007, 08:49:51 AM
The biggest problem I have with the entire Hummer line is that, to me, they are all poser wannabes.
Having driven the real HUMMER (complete with .50 on top), I find seeing an H1 at the mall or an H2 in the drive thru just stupid.
Now, I have nothing against SUVs. I have owned a few (until kids/minivan) but the entire Hummer line just screams "small penis" to me.

I agree. Complete poser vehicles, to be sure.

However I'd rather not talk about another man's private parts...

TheIntrepid

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 24, 2007, 11:44:00 AM
Now, something like the Jeep Compass I would consider a "poser" vehicle. Its styled like the wrangler, but not anywhere near as capable. But, call me crazy, that doesn't make me assume everyone that drives one has a small penis.

I think you're talking about the Patriot. It's styled like a Cherokee and doesn't seem that capable. The Compass is styled like the wuss-mobile that it is, and it's aimed at women.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

saxonyron

Quote from: southdiver1 on May 24, 2007, 08:49:51 AM
The biggest problem I have with the entire Hummer line is that, to me, they are all poser wannabes.
Having driven the real HUMMER (complete with .50 on top), I find seeing an H1 at the mall or an H2 in the drive thru just stupid.
Now, I have nothing against SUVs. I have owned a few (until kids/minivan) but the entire Hummer line just screams "small penis" to me.

Hey hey hey!? At least I only had a small penis for the 5 days I rented the H3!? It grew right back as soon as my family arrived in FL and I jumped into the rented Chrysler Grand Caravan! Now there's a vehicle that doesn't overcompensate for a lack of a big member.  Too bad I had to have my balls removed to get into the minivan. :ohyeah:? :lol:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

S204STi

I just wanted to bump this up after having finally driven one of these.

I have to say, I kinda like it.  While the engine is completely overwhelmed by the sheer mass of this thing, with a V8 it would be phenomenal.  I was very impressed by the ride, the damping in particular which is clearly tuned for off-road duty.  There was zero bounce over speed bumps, and while it certainly leaned a bit into corners it at least didn't feel tippy, as some older SUVs tend to do.  I recall driving a 90s Mitsubishi Montero that always felt like it was going to just up and lay over on you.  The turning circle is VERY small, much smaller it seems that it should be. 

The interior is actually a strong suit for this truck.  Unlike the Canyon/Colorado on which it's based, it actually has pleasant looking plastics with nice grains and consistent, high-quality colors.  No greys, just black and a contrasting beige in this case.  The seats had beige leather with dark brown piping, which looks nice, even if they don't seem to wear well.  The view out is a bit claustrophobic.  I'm average height, and I could see out of it out ahead fairly well, but I could only imagine being over 6' trying to peer out of those gunslit windows.  Rearward visibility really blows.  But the sunroof is HUGE, and really gives an airy feel to the vehicle when it's open or even unshaded.  The only one larger that I've seen in a vehicle is that on a Subaru Forester, which literally extends beyond the front seats as far as you can reach while seated and buckled in.

Overall, I would totally hit an H3 Alpha with the 5.3 V8 well, if I had the money, hehe...

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ChrisV

Quote from: saxonyron on May 14, 2007, 01:13:53 PM
I rented it for 5 days and have to admit, I was impressed at first with the ride and build, but horrified by the visibility.  Like many things with cars though, after living with it a day or so, you subconsciously deal with the visibility and get used to it.  Hell, I've driven 20 ft. 10 wheeler box trucks with nothing but mirrors and the view out front, so it can be done.

That's the thing that peopel that complain forget, and I feel it makes them not very well rounded as drivers. Iv'e driven cube vans, motorhomes, and converted ambulances, as well as trucks like this:

(my dad had a '48 Ford panel truck almost identical to that one, but black, and yeah, with ownership and familiarity comes comfort and competence at driving them)

Hell, even cars like the Countach, Diablo, and other mid engine exotics have less outward visibility than the H3,and I wouldn't use that as a reason not to like or drive them.

And I also hate the people who use the small penis insult, regardless of whether it's Hummers or SUVs in general, pickup trucks, or even sports cars (which it's used for just as often). Why can't people simply LIKE those types of vehicles without being labeled???
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

sandertheshark

Quote from: ChrisV on October 17, 2007, 05:54:03 AM
That's the thing that peopel that complain forget, and I feel it makes them not very well rounded as drivers. Iv'e driven cube vans, motorhomes, and converted ambulances, as well as trucks like this:

(my dad had a '48 Ford panel truck almost identical to that one, but black, and yeah, with ownership and familiarity comes comfort and competence at driving them)

Hell, even cars like the Countach, Diablo, and other mid engine exotics have less outward visibility than the H3,and I wouldn't use that as a reason not to like or drive them.

And I also hate the people who use the small penis insult, regardless of whether it's Hummers or SUVs in general, pickup trucks, or even sports cars (which it's used for just as often). Why can't people simply LIKE those types of vehicles without being labeled???

How long were you in the dildo business?

CALL_911

ADULT TOY COMPANY

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is like "shemale vids"

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

93JC

TheIntrepid

Raghavan

TheIntrepid

omicron

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 18, 2007, 11:28:48 PM
What was it?

Not quite as special as the Volvo S80 incident, that's for sure.

The Pirate

Quote from: omicron on October 18, 2007, 11:38:18 PM
Not quite as special as the Volvo S80 incident, that's for sure.

:lol:
That was glorious.  Speaking of, does anybody know where mazda6er ran off to?
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raghavan

Quote from: The Pirate on October 18, 2007, 11:40:09 PM
:lol:
That was glorious.  Speaking of, does anybody know where mazda6er ran off to?
He seems to pop back here every couple of months but I have no clue where he is.
Hilarious guy, too.

nickdrinkwater

Raghavan

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on October 19, 2007, 12:12:03 AM
I missed S80, what happened?
All of the members of the S80 club are sworn to secrecy. :nono:

SVT_Power

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 18, 2007, 07:45:22 PM

ADULT TOY COMPANY

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is like "shemale vids"

It says factory, not company

CALL_911

Quote from: M_power on October 19, 2007, 12:56:41 AM
It says factory, not company

I couldnt see the pic when I wrote that, and I was laughing too hard to care.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raghavan on October 18, 2007, 11:40:56 PM
He seems to pop back here every couple of months but I have no clue where he is.
Hilarious guy, too.

He's around. I talk to him on AIM every now and then. He's been busy.

Raghavan

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 19, 2007, 03:19:31 PM
He's around. I talk to him on AIM every now and then. He's been busy.
Oh.
Tell him to come back here and visit every so often.

Minpin

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Raghavan

Quote from: Minpin on October 19, 2007, 10:41:58 PM
link to s80 thread?
Nothing special in there anymore... we deleted all of our posts and then promplty made the club.

Tave

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 14, 2007, 11:24:02 AM
The H3 always strikes me a a good "truck" type of SUV. Great offroad, so-so on road. The issue with most reviews seem to be because they want it to be a minivan replacement. Same deal with the Toyota FJ. Nissan's Xterra seems to strike the best "balance" as far as reviews go,

I know they've gone both ways, but the reviews I've read put the FJ and the XTerra on even footing off-road, and give the nod to the FJ on-pavement. Everything I've read said it is a better all-arounder than the Nissan.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raghavan on October 19, 2007, 10:32:45 PM
Oh.
Tell him to come back here and visit every so often.

I'll send him a message on Stalkbook.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on October 20, 2007, 09:17:41 AM
I know they've gone both ways, but the reviews I've read put the FJ and the XTerra on even footing off-road, and give the nod to the FJ on-pavement. Everything I've read said it is a better all-arounder than the Nissan.
Too bad the FJ looks so stupid.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 20, 2007, 09:48:01 AM
Too bad the FJ looks so stupid.

I agree, the FJ isn't nearly as good looking as the original, and is beginning to look like an SUV version of the New Beetle, a mere characature of the original.