Test drove a Hummer H3

Started by saxonyron, May 12, 2007, 11:30:02 PM

Raza

I actually like the FJ Cruiser.  I've got a small weak spot (very small) for funky looking SUVs like the FJ Cruiser and the Aztek.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Tave on October 20, 2007, 09:17:41 AM
I know they've gone both ways, but the reviews I've read put the FJ and the XTerra on even footing off-road, and give the nod to the FJ on-pavement. Everything I've read said it is a better all-arounder than the Nissan.

:huh:

I've seen overall decisions go both ways (C&D liked the Xterra better, Motortrend liked the FJ better), but in general the FJ was only bested by the H3 off-road, and it was always beaten by the Xterra on-road. In C&D's test, the Xterra was good off-road (better than the Jeep), but in Motortrend it couldn't complete all the tests, and actually got the lowest trail rating (the Jeep Liberty had a higher rating).

If I had to choose from this group, it'd probably be the Xterra for me...because I don't go off-road. But if I was buying an off-road SUV I would take the H3 first, FJ second, and Xterra third.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 22, 2007, 09:21:42 AM
:huh:

I've seen overall decisions go both ways (C&D liked the Xterra better, Motortrend liked the FJ better), but in general the FJ was only bested by the H3 off-road, and it was always beaten by the Xterra on-road. In C&D's test, the Xterra was good off-road (better than the Jeep), but in Motortrend it couldn't complete all the tests, and actually got the lowest trail rating (the Jeep Liberty had a higher rating).

If I had to choose from this group, it'd probably be the Xterra for me...because I don't go off-road. But if I was buying an off-road SUV I would take the H3 first, FJ second, and Xterra third.

I'd take the FJ Cruiser and pick up surfing. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 22, 2007, 09:21:42 AM
If I was buying an off-road SUV I would buy the X-Terra first and I wouldn't even look at the other two.

CALL_911

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 22, 2007, 10:35:22 PM
If I was buying an off-road SUV I would buy the X-Terra first and I wouldn't even look at the other two.

The H3 and the FJ are very good too.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 22, 2007, 10:45:09 PM
The H3 and the FJ are very good too.
Except you can't see out of them which is crucial in offroading.  In an offroading magazine I was reading at my dentist's office last week said that they required a spotter to walk in front of the H3 on trails they normally wouldn't bother with one because they couldn't see anything.  I've sat in an H3 and an FJ at their respective dealerships and I wouldn't buy either of them with offroading in mind.

CALL_911

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 22, 2007, 10:49:12 PM
Except you can't see out of them which is crucial in offroading.  In an offroading magazine I was reading at my dentist's office last week said that they required a spotter to walk in front of the H3 on trails they normally wouldn't bother with one because they couldn't see anything.  I've sat in an H3 and an FJ at their respective dealerships and I wouldn't buy either of them with offroading in mind.

That's a very good point. But the mechanicals are there.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 22, 2007, 11:16:37 PM
That's a very good point. But the mechanicals are there.
Big deal.  Offroading sucks if you have to have a buddy walking in front of you the whole time.  That's why Jeeps are the most popular offroading trucks.  You can see out of them all the time and only need spotters in the most extreme cases.