Excursion
13 (61.9%)
Expedition EL
8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

SVT666

Quote from: heelntoe on May 16, 2007, 06:06:35 AM
keyword being modern. :lol:
there are plenty of diesels where i live and the newer ones dont give out smoke unless something is wrong with them.
Not true.  If the driver puts his foot in it, the truck will most definitely smoke.

SVT666

Quote from: heelntoe on May 15, 2007, 05:24:48 PM
well, based on the price diff between diesel and petrol and the extra cost of the diesel version of the vehicle, it is said the you much drve 40kms daily to break even. that's the indian scenario.
I read that you would have to keep the truck for 10 years to break even, especially with diesel being more expensive at the pump and the diesel engine option being a $5K option.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 16, 2007, 07:18:13 AM
Not true.? If the driver puts his foot in it, the truck will most definitely smoke.

I thought I made it clear that we were in a new Dodge. It's an 06.

Trust me heelntoe, you're not cool in Wyoming unless you have the latest and greatest, biggest, most obnoxious full-size diesel pick-up on the market. They all smoke.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on May 16, 2007, 09:40:01 AM
I thought I made it clear that we were in a new Dodge. It's an 06.

Trust me heelntoe, you're not cool in Wyoming unless you have the latest and greatest, biggest, most obnoxious full-size diesel pick-up on the market. They all smoke.
They most certainly do. :ohyeah:

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 16, 2007, 07:19:27 AM
I read that you would have to keep the truck for 10 years to break even, especially with diesel being more expensive at the pump and the diesel engine option being a $5K option.

Diesel fuel is cheaper here (I think). I mentioned this in another thread: a coworker of mine is pressuring our boss to replace another coworker's truck with a Cummins instead of the 2500. He can get a deal on a brand new one for 38K. Biggest cab, biggest bed. What a steal!
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

Yep diesel is 2.8999. 85 starts at 2.9999. Interestingly, super-unleaded is the same price as regular. Premium goes for 3.1799.

heelntoe

Quote from: Tave on May 17, 2007, 01:27:51 PM
Yep diesel is 2.8999. 85 starts at 2.9999. Interestingly, super-unleaded is the same price as regular. Premium goes for 3.1799.
if that were the case here, no one would buy diesel. our diesel costs about 3/5 as much as regular petrol.

and about the smoking, i was talking about cars, not trucks.
@heelntoe

Tave

Quote from: heelntoe on May 17, 2007, 01:31:50 PM
if that were the case here, no one would buy diesel.

Why? It's still cheaper than gasoline.

heelntoe

Quote from: Tave on May 17, 2007, 02:08:30 PM
Why? It's still cheaper than gasoline.
but still not enough to pay extra for the diesel version.
@heelntoe

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 16, 2007, 07:19:27 AM

At least in the states diesel stays pretty constant in price while gas is all over the place, so diesel ends up being cheaper half the time and more expensive the rest. Additionally, why do so many people not look at the resale factor of the equation. An owner will get a lot of that five grand back when he or she goes to sell.

nickdrinkwater

Excursion diesel  :praise:  That car is a tank.

It must be only truck diesels that make smoke, since I never see smoke coming out of diesels here.