Is it me or has Ford...

Started by 850CSi, May 15, 2007, 08:07:45 PM

ifcar

It's style over substance. It's nice enough, but overweight and not roomy for its exterior size. IIRC, the Escape has more cargo space. And it's expensive for what it is.

What doesn't the Nissan Murano do better?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: ifcar on May 16, 2007, 02:21:32 PM

People like cars that look good.  :huh:

ifcar

As I said, style over substance.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: ifcar on May 16, 2007, 02:30:06 PM

Hey, I chose a 2-door GTI over a 4-door, with 18 inch wheels instead of 17's. I like style over substance.  :thumbsup:

Onslaught

No. I don't see many on the road at all. And we don't get many in to work on also.

ChrisV

Quote from: ifcar on May 16, 2007, 02:30:06 PM

Um, style IS a form of substance. Looks ARE important and should be. Otherwise the Aztec should have been the best buy on the planet for a minivan, as you could get the AWD one for $10k less than a normal GM minivan... When you spend the money on a new car, it had damn well better look good to you.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

etypeJohn

It's style over substance. It's nice enough, but overweight and not roomy for its exterior size. IIRC, the Escape has more cargo space. And it's expensive for what it is.

And rather thirsty too, IIRC.

ifcar

Quote from: ChrisV on May 17, 2007, 02:04:14 PM
Um, style IS a form of substance. Looks ARE important and should be. Otherwise the Aztec should have been the best buy on the planet for a minivan, as you could get the AWD one for $10k less than a normal GM minivan... When you spend the money on a new car, it had damn well better look good to you.

I think the Murano looks better than the Edge, and don't factor looks into my decision. An illustration of the two serious ways that styling is subjective.

93JC

zOMG Adi I saw a Budget rent-a-car Fusion being offloaded from a truck!!1!

And a rental MKZ parked nearby.

ChrisV

Quote from: ifcar on May 17, 2007, 02:56:11 PM
I think the Murano looks better than the Edge, and don't factor looks into my decision. An illustration of the two serious ways that styling is subjective.

So, manufacturers (of any product) spend millions of dollars and years of time styling their new products and you say it's unimportant in making a decision? Hell, it's a huge part of the substance of a product.

Well, there's a butt for every seat, I guess.

etypeJohn

Quote from: ChrisV on May 18, 2007, 07:41:37 AM
So, manufacturers (of any product) spend millions of dollars and years of time styling their new products and you say it's unimportant in making a decision? Hell, it's a huge part of the substance of a product.

Well, there's a butt for every seat, I guess.

In fact, people will buy an 'inferior' product if it looks OK.  This gets into demand theory and utility theory, but lets not go there since this isn't an economics class.  Suffice it to say that when one makes a choice we can only assume they make the choice that is best for them.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 93JC on May 17, 2007, 03:56:15 PM

:clap:

I remember seeing a Jeep Cherokee Chief rear-end a rented Lucerne in Jasper. The guy in the Lucerne was styaing at our hotel and we saw it on and off for 2-3 days following it, with a smashed trunk.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Yawn

I see them all over highways in LA/OC but rental tags usually

93JC

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 18, 2007, 08:55:44 AM
:clap:

I remember seeing a Jeep Cherokee Chief rear-end a rented Lucerne in Jasper. The guy in the Lucerne was styaing at our hotel and we saw it on and off for 2-3 days following it, with a smashed trunk.

:praise: :lol:

ChrisV

Quote from: etypeJohn on May 18, 2007, 08:09:35 AM
In fact, people will buy an 'inferior' product if it looks OK.  This gets into demand theory and utility theory, but lets not go there since this isn't an economics class.  Suffice it to say that when one makes a choice we can only assume they make the choice that is best for them.

True. Like you said, this isnt' an economics class, but in this day and age, very little that's new is inferior to what people have before they buy it. Coming from a say, '80s Chevy Citation, even a Cavalier woudl have been an improvement, which is why they sold so many. When the "inferior" new product is still superior to the product they are replacing, then subjective factors will come into play much more prominently.

For example in the other thread about economy cars, I picked the Lancer, due to it's looks. All of them are well superior to my current cars in MPG, so that factor left my criteria. Al of them are relatively equal on comfort for me, so it comes down to looks and feel. The Lancer feels sporty and looks good, and those looks are a large part of the substance of the car.

OTOH, over in the thread on the mid engine VW, I discuss the beauty of function, where the mid engine Civic, Mini, and Honda 600 get their looks directly from their function. Since their function is to be performance cars, their looks reflect their performance. Since performance is a desirable criteria, their looks become desirable due to the function they represent.

Yet in either case, the looks are a big part of the substance of the vehicle, either by themselves or by what the looks represent.

The Aztek, for example, had no reason to look like it did, thus sold poorly due to being truly ugly. (The people I've met that did buy them generally knew they were ugly and bought them for their function and value of the build quality for the price, with a little of the novelty factor thrown in.)

SVT32V

That is simple, it handles more like a fwd car, most people drive cars that are dragged around through front wheel drive, they are used to the way it feels.  It reminds them of thier taurus/camera/accordain, it feels more familiar.

The Morono is rwd baised, most people do not have much experience with rwd..

Certainly this is one of the reasons the MDX/Pilotless/toyota lowlander/RX sell, they are not so far from the plebian sedans from which they are based.

Familiarity doesn't breed contempt when it comes to vehicles.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT32V on May 18, 2007, 09:56:33 AM
That is simple, it handles more like a fwd car, most people drive cars that are dragged around through front wheel drive, they are used to the way it feels. It reminds them of thier taurus/camera/accordain, it feels more familiar.

Certainly this is one of the reasons the MDX/Pilotless/toyota lowlander/RX sell, they are not so far from the plebian sedans from which they are based.

That's because people are idiots. These idiots are like children and must taught properly or they will become bums. If you give them what they want, pretty soon they'll all be mindless couch potatoes unable to pilot a vehicle to save their life. You musn't give in to their demands, they will me made to learn the ways of the RWD!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

omicron

True. The Murano does an excellent job of looking like a haemorrhoid. Points awarded!

ifcar

Quote from: SVT32V on May 18, 2007, 09:56:33 AM
That is simple, it handles more like a fwd car, most people drive cars that are dragged around through front wheel drive, they are used to the way it feels.  It reminds them of thier taurus/camera/accordain, it feels more familiar.

The Murano is FWD.

nickdrinkwater

I don't anyone wouldn't factor looks into the decision when buying a car.  You wouldn't buy something that you thought was ugly.  Even if you don't go out to buy a good looking car, I think subconsciously it's still a factor.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 18, 2007, 10:58:32 AM
I don't anyone wouldn't factor looks into the decision when buying a car.? You wouldn't buy something that you thought was ugly.? Even if you don't go out to buy a good looking car, I think subconsciously it's still a factor.

I bought a Focus, and I've always thought they were ugly as sin, especially the '05+
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

YO

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 16, 2007, 07:14:08 AM
I notice a lot of them and they aren't fleet cars for the most part.? I actually see a lot of Lincoln Zephyrs too.

Do you live in Laguna Woods in California??
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

FordSVT

Quote from: NACar on May 18, 2007, 12:13:47 PM
I bought a Focus, and I've always thought they were ugly as sin, especially the '05+

Then you're wierd, both for buying a car you think is ugly and for thinking the Focus is ugly.  :lol:
-FordSVT-

Tave

I think the Murano is a very attractive vehicle.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

93JC

Quote from: 93JC on May 17, 2007, 03:56:15 PM

OMGWTFBBQ I SAW ANOTHER ONE!

From Discount.

850CSi

Quote from: YO on May 18, 2007, 12:43:56 PM
Do you live in Laguna Woods in California??

He's in Calgary I believe.

850CSi

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 16, 2007, 09:57:27 AM
I think the G6 looks fairly plain and there is nothing about them that gets me excited.?

I think they nailed the details on the G6 but it's oddly proportioned. The coupe is really ugly with that enormous arse.

850CSi

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 16, 2007, 09:58:42 AM
I also like the Zephyr better. I saw a Milan on the road with Michigan plates yesterday. Looked awkward IMO.

The Milan's taillights do look awkard, I agree.

93JC

Quote from: 850CSi on May 20, 2007, 01:09:21 AM
I think they nailed the details on the G6 but it's oddly proportioned. The coupe is really ugly with that enormous arse.

You know, I really hated the proportions of the coupe when I first saw it in pictures, but as I've seen more and more out on the road I find you tend to view it at a much better angle than any picture, and it turns out looking quite good.

The same with the convertible. It's many times better looking than the similar Chrysler Sebring, which really does have an enormous arse.