4 (15.4%)
8 (30.8%)
1 (3.8%)
3 (11.5%)
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

JYODER240

Quote from: ro51092 on May 18, 2007, 09:46:05 PM
Yoder, your dad bought the Z, but you always call it "your" Z, not your family's Z.

The title is in my name, I own it.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

ro51092

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 18, 2007, 09:47:12 PM
The title is in my name, I own it.

Pommes was making an issue about Trep's case because he didn't pay for it. No one asked for whose name the title's under.

JYODER240

Quote from: ro51092 on May 18, 2007, 09:48:49 PM
Pommes was making an issue about Trep's case because he didn't pay for it. No one asked for whose name the title's under.

Trep was saying that he has owned all of those Camry's and he hasn't. His parents owned them, not him.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raghavan

I thought Yoder is paying his dad back or something?
But I always say "our" or "my parents". :huh:
It's not mine, i don't own it. Pretty simple to me. But i suppose if i were the one driving it around all the time, i'd call it mine.

7th gen Camry,  they keep getting better. 

Raghavan

Quote from: 565 on May 18, 2007, 10:00:14 PM
7th gen Camry,  they keep getting better. 
Are you kidding or misinformed?

Quote from: Raghavan on May 18, 2007, 10:00:50 PM
Are you kidding or misinformed?

Damn there are only 6th generations huh?  So much for my counting skills.

Raghavan

Quote from: 565 on May 18, 2007, 10:13:28 PM

Damn there are only 6th generations huh?  So much for my counting skills.
:nono:
I think you should give me your Z06 for that error. :nono:

Quote from: Raghavan on May 18, 2007, 10:14:46 PM
:nono:
I think you should give me your Z06 for that error. :nono:

Bah,  Knowing the correct number of Camry generations is about as relevant to Z06 ownership as knowing how to hitch a trailer.  *Hugs Z06 tightly to his chest*

TheIntrepid

Yoder, your dad bought the Z, but you always call it "your" Z, not your family's Z.

All right. My bad then; I've only owned the '89, the '99, and the new Hybrid. The rest have been my parents'. The '94 was dirt cheap and a gift to my sister from me, and it was the only car (except my Trep) that's ever been in my name, so I guess that counts too.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on May 16, 2007, 12:36:02 PM
"Which would you rather have: gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, HIV, HPV or herpes?"

Unfair comparison.  Gonorrhea, chlamydia, and syphilis are all easily cured.  However, a Camry will always be a Camry.  For that, there is no cure.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: ro51092 on May 18, 2007, 09:48:49 PM

If I buy a sweater for my brother's birthday, even though I give it to him and he's the only one who wears it, is it still my sweater, since I'm the one who paid for it?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

I like the 2nd generation, mostly due to sentimental reasons. It's a masochist. It's taken 200k mi of abuse, a really bad accident, and it still keeps on truckin'. A lot of people grow attached to "experienced" vehicles that have gone through a lot, that's pretty much why I still like my '90.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

pommes-t

I didn't want to write about this anymore, but because some people didn't get my point, I'll do it anyways. If someone gets a car for free from his parents, it's his car. Of course it is. Why shouldn't it. It may even be registrered on the person's parents due to e.g. insurance advantages as long as everybody consideres it as the person's car.

But IMO it is ridiculous, if anybody says "everything that my family owns is mine if I am the only one from my family around".
As JYoder pointed out, in that way he'd own a business, 3 Cadilllacs etc. and I'd own a doctor's office, a nice big house and an A6. But I don't, because my dad or "my family" owns it.

Now I'll finish this, because it's silly and go swimming in my pool...

850CSi

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 18, 2007, 09:43:41 PM
That crazy. I didn't know things worked that way. Did you know that I not only own my Z but also 3 Cadillac's, a Mercedes, a house, and a business?

That's crazy, I just realized that I've owned a 944 Turbo, a couple of E32 7ers, an E38 7er, and many Jeep Grand Cherokees.  :lol:

850CSi

Yeah, but that's different, it's more like a gift. I only call the Mazda mine when I'm joking around (since it's technicallly mine) but it's my sister's car for all intents and purposes.

the Teuton

In the sense of a car, house, etc., how do you define ownership of it?  If your name isn't on the title and you didn't forward any cash for something, does it belong to you?

I paid for my car in full.  Therefore, it belongs to me.  I have a friend whose parents bought his car for him and then gets upset when he can't take it to some location where he'd like.  What constitutes ownership?  Gift?  Hand-me-down?  Making the car payment each month?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raghavan

I think that if it's a gift, you can consider it to be yours...
Like my bicycle, my parents bought it, but no one uses it other than me and i got it for my birthday.

Laconian

I would say you only own something if you have the authority to deprive others of the use of it.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: pommes-t on May 18, 2007, 09:09:03 AM
YOu know what, Trep? I actually want to thank you. I've spent way too much time on carspin. I enjoyed it, but it was too much time, now that I have to learn so much. And you are really a big, big factor, that I only spent very few time here now (which is good, because I got to learn). It gives me an uncomfortable feeling to know that I right now argue with a dude from Canada, who has such a low ego that he has to tell everyone on the internet how many cars he owned. Plus of course who constantly tells lies. I don't even know why I am writing this. And that's why I'll stop now. Damn, you are such a ridiculous person.

:lol:

Didn't you know?  Trep owns Canada.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 18, 2007, 09:50:32 PM
Trep was saying that he has owned all of those Camry's and he hasn't. His parents owned them, not him.

The '89 and the '99 were paid for by my parents, but were handed down to me. I was the sole user for the portion of time that they were considered mine. The Hybrid is also a gift to me by my parents. Those are considered my cars, despite the fact that for insurance purposes, the '89 and the '99 were registered to my parents. The Hybrid is registered in my name.

The Intrepid is in my mom's name, but I'm the primary driver on the insurance. That's my car.

I don't claim our family's Caravan, Touareg, or S550 to be my cars.

sportyaccordy

2nd gen, ONLY because my dad had the rarest one of all back in the early '90s...

An '89 All-Trac 5 speed, with a diff-lock button on the center console. Even as a 5 year old I knew the car was something special.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 19, 2007, 07:26:10 PM
2nd gen, ONLY because my dad had the rarest one of all back in the early '90s...

An '89 All-Trac 5 speed, with a diff-lock button on the center console. Even as a 5 year old I knew the car was something special.

My AllTrac was an automatic. :(

Raghavan

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 19, 2007, 08:03:29 PM
My AllTrac was an automatic. :(
Considering the fact that you LIKE automatics more than manuals, i don't see the problem. :huh:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raghavan on May 19, 2007, 08:05:07 PM
Considering the fact that you LIKE automatics more than manuals, i don't see the problem. :huh:

That's the one car I'd have liked to have in manual. It wasn't particularly boring to drive, IMO, just horribly, HORRIBLY slow (I had the I-4)

Secret Chimp

I thought that was the point he was making to Intrepid..?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9153.msg453368#msg453368 date=1179583498
Unfair comparison.? Gonorrhea, chlamydia, and syphilis are all easily cured.? However, a Camry will always be a Camry.? For that, there is no cure.

That reminds me of when Nissan sent around these giant pill boxes in the mail with the label,  "There's a disease going around"  and then "Altima, the cure for the common car."

Too bad it was during the anthrax scare, and feeble minded people got freaked out when they got a large container labled with "there's a disease going around" as well as a huge Nissan logo.  I guess they figured Nissan was now in the business of bioterrorism and out to get them.

Raza

Quote from: 565 on May 20, 2007, 07:34:47 AM
That reminds me of when Nissan sent around these giant pill boxes in the mail with the label,  "There's a disease going around"  and then "Altima, the cure for the common car."

Too bad it was during the anthrax scare, and feeble minded people got freaked out when they got a large container labled with "there's a disease going around" as well as a huge Nissan logo.  I guess they figured Nissan was now in the business of bioterrorism and out to get them.

Hahaha!  I've never heard of that before.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

By Tepid's logic in addition to owning a 1995 Prelude, 2004 Outback, and 2000 F-250 I also own an Accord, three Camries (I am not proud), Tacoma, Corolla, Tahoe, Thunderbird, and Monte Carlo SS seeing as how close relatives drive those cars. Of course, Tepid only informs us of the cool ones (not seeing any in my list, the Tacoma is RWD :().

TBR

Forgot to mention, I actually like the 4th gen. The only one available with a V6 and a 5MT. It even looks decent imho.