VW GTI W12 0-60 in 3.7 sec.

Started by SVT666, May 17, 2007, 01:10:18 PM

Champ

ChrisV

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 18, 2007, 01:27:26 PM
That's cool - did he just graft in the front end suspension and drivetrain to the rear frame? Using a FWD powertrain in the rear of a car wouldn't seem too bad if you knew welding...

In that Civic, he custom made new front and rear suspension using Corvette uprights, custom A arms, custom axles, etc. it was a lot more scienced out than simply moving a FWD drivetrain to the rear (which is how Toyota did it on teh MR2, for example)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Laconian

What downsides are there, if any, to Toyota's approach? The only thing I can think of is that in the first few MY they carried over the Corolla's dinky half-shafts in addition to everything else, which broke like twigs when the engine output increased beyond factory spec.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raghavan

So that '72, all-CF body Honda has a side engine? :confused:

heelntoe

it looks like a motorcycle engine, so the driver's weight would balance it out.
@heelntoe

BimmerM3

Quote from: ChrisV on May 18, 2007, 09:12:18 AM

Is that a chick driving it? There's something incredibly attractive about a girl that can really drive. It also looks A LOT smaller when there's someone inside.

Raza

I was just about to say that the pictures reminded me of the Clio V6, and it was probably mid engined. 

I would love for them to do something like this, but with a slightly more sane engine.  Before, it was solely a French thing (I believe, there are others with a better grasp of history than I, and they should feel free to correct me) to take a normal, fun hatchback, rip out the engine, and stick it where the back seats should be.  The new Golf is definitely worthy of the same makeover.  Run the Passat's 3.6 through the rear wheels, and you all of a sudden have a car that kills 350Zs all day long.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Galaxy

Raghavan

The bodykit and interior are way too overdone and the fact that it's an automatic saddens me. :(
Who puts an auto into a sports car??? :cry:

Champ

Raghavan

Raza

I don't think the DSG can handle that kind of power.  It's not even in the R8.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

I'd rather see the V10 from the Gallardo or R8 with 500 hp and a 6 speed manual in there.

Raza

Quote from: Raghavan on May 21, 2007, 09:37:23 AM
I'd rather see the V10 from the Gallardo or R8 with 500 hp and a 6 speed manual in there.

I'd rather see a production version with a 3.6L V6, 280bhp and the option of a 6 speed or DSG. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Raza  on May 21, 2007, 09:39:34 AM
I'd rather see a production version with a 3.6L V6, 280bhp and the option of a 6 speed or DSG. 

That would be awesome, and would fill the gap left by the Clio V6.

Raghavan

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9168.msg455040#msg455040 date=1179761974
I'd rather see a production version with a 3.6L V6, 280bhp and the option of a 6 speed or DSG.?
I would too, but it would be fun to see what a V10 GTI could do.

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 21, 2007, 09:42:26 AM
That would be awesome, and would fill the gap left by the Clio V6.

I've been saying they need to do this since I first laid eyes on the new Golf.  Hell, I even said it earlier in this thread.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: Raghavan on May 21, 2007, 09:30:31 AM
The bodykit and interior are way too overdone and the fact that it's an automatic saddens me. :(
Who puts an auto into a sports car??? :cry:

I put a built automatic in my V8 RX7 autocross car. Posted it running the slalom many times. Instant shifts up or down, anytime, plus full auto mode when stuck in traffic. Loved it, and would do it again.

Raghavan

Quote from: ChrisV on May 21, 2007, 10:42:02 AM
I put a built automatic in my V8 RX7 autocross car. Posted it running the slalom many times. Instant shifts up or down, anytime, plus full auto mode when stuck in traffic. Loved it, and would do it again.
I'd like a 3rd pedal, thanks.
People who like automatics are old grandpas, much like yourself, Chris. :evildude: :lol:

S204STi

S204STi

Quote from: Raghavan on May 21, 2007, 05:41:43 PM
People who like automatics are old grandpas, much like yourself, Chris. :evildude: :lol:

Did you know that the clutch in the Ferrari Enzo is good for only three full-bore launches?

Notice that the SLR McClaren doesn't have that problem?

Yes, I'll be taking an automatic with that much power.

heelntoe

Quote from: R-inge on May 21, 2007, 06:43:59 PM
Did you know that the clutch in the Ferrari Enzo is good for only three full-bore launches?

Notice that the SLR McClaren doesn't have that problem?

Yes, I'll be taking an automatic with that much power.
+1
a well programmed automatic is better for cars with insane ammounts of power and torque.
@heelntoe

ChrisV

Quote from: Raghavan on May 21, 2007, 05:41:43 PM

I built modded automatics when I was in my '20s, as they simply work better in musclecars and high torque autocross cars. You simply don't have enough experience to make that call yet.

Does this LOOK like an old man car? I was 34 in this video, and had already been autocrossing for 18 years.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adesso/rex3.wmv

heelntoe

yeah, it's not always that  you get a perfect shift. in timed races and such, a misshift can mess up your time.
@heelntoe