Humming sound from the front of the car

Started by afty, May 20, 2007, 08:15:10 PM

afty

I'm hearing a strange humming sound from the front of the car while driving.  It sounds as through the engine is revving too high and you need to shift, but the sound is related to road speed and not engine RPM, i.e. you can engage the clutch and take it out of gear and the humming is still there.  The humming happens only at certain speeds: 25-30 mph, 35-40 mph, and 55-60 mph, and you can also feel a slight vibration through the gas pedal at these speeds.  The sound doesn't change depending on whether you are accelerating, driving at a steady speed, or decelerating, nor is it affected by road surface -- as far as I can tell, the only thing that affects it is the speed you are traveling.

I first thought maybe a wheel bearing was going, but I had my mechanic check them and he said they were fine.  Second thought was maybe the tires (they were quite old and due to be replaced), so I put a new set on and it didn't change the sound.  Third thought was maybe a tire is unbalanced, but they balanced the tires when they mounted the new set.  Only other thing I could think of is maybe the alignment is off.  Do you guys have any other ideas?

This is a 2002 Altima 3.5 MT with around 55k miles.

Payman

afty

I'm not convinced my mechanic was able to hear the sound.  The more I read about this, the more I think it's got to be a wheel bearing.  I may take it back and ride with him to show him what I'm talking about.

S204STi

If the noise goes away when cornering in a certain direction, it might be the wheel bearing, but I doubt it.  Check out your inner CV joints.

afty

Today I noticed that the humming goes away when turning right, but not left.  I'll take it to the mechanic again tomorrow and see what he says.

S204STi

Quote from: afty on May 21, 2007, 08:36:42 PM
Today I noticed that the humming goes away when turning right, but not left.? I'll take it to the mechanic again tomorrow and see what he says.

Interesting...may actually be a right front wheel bearing...

etypeJohn

Quote from: afty on May 20, 2007, 08:15:10 PM
I'm hearing a strange humming sound from the front of the car while driving.?

It could be humming because it doesn't know the words.    :rolleyes:

Stick shift, even in neutral things in the transmission are still rotating.  could be something in the tranny.  Could be a CV joint.

r0tor

Quote from: R-inge on May 21, 2007, 08:52:04 PM
Interesting...may actually be a right front wheel bearing...

doesn't the loaded bearing make the noise when you turn as opposed to the unloaded bearing?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on May 22, 2007, 04:38:01 PM
doesn't the loaded bearing make the noise when you turn as opposed to the unloaded bearing?

Yep, and when turning right he is unloading the bearings on the right side.

afty

Follow up: It turned out to be the left front wheel bearing.  Had it replaced today, and no more humming.  Now we're ready for summer road trips.