Shopping: BMW 335i and alternatives

Started by Raza , May 23, 2007, 09:35:07 AM

ArchBishop

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9264.msg462058#msg462058 date=1180363620
The Audi is a fine car, and it's quicker (and feels quicker) than his Mercedes, and it's cheaper than the 335i.? I don't see it as a poor suggestion.

I would not recommend a Lexus on principle.? And I guarantee that he would not buy one.?

He is your brother, so I imagine you know him better than any of us. I dislike lexus as well, but the IS is attractive, and Lexus make vastly more appealing cars than Audi does IMO. Infact, I put Audi very low in the ranks. Overpriced VW's with weak powertrains, and Dynamics

LonghornTX

Quote from: ArchBishop on May 29, 2007, 01:19:04 AM
He is your brother, so I imagine you know him better than any of us. I dislike lexus as well, but the IS is attractive, and Lexus make vastly more appealing cars than Audi does IMO. Infact, I put Audi very low in the ranks. Overpriced VW's with weak powertrains, and Dynamics
I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. 

However, the 2.0T is a stellar drivetrain, and the A4 (especially the 2.0T) w/ sports package is indeed a very engaging car to drive.  Definately, IMO, more so than the IS350.

Also, by your standards, we should also call the IS350 an overpriced Toyota and the G35 an overpriced Nissan.  That is about how much similarity the A4 has with any existing VW products....
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

ArchBishop

Quote from: LonghornTX on May 29, 2007, 01:56:54 AM
I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However, the 2.0T is a stellar drivetrain, and the A4 (especially the 2.0T) w/ sports package is indeed a very engaging car to drive. Definately, IMO, more so than the IS350.

Also, by your standards, we should also call the IS350 an overpriced Toyota and the G35 an overpriced Nissan. That is about how much similarity the A4 has with any existing VW products....

You could, but there is No RWD Toyota Sedan, and No RWD Nissan Sedan on sale in the US. That, and they don't rip off thier interior from an Early 90's Benz.

LonghornTX

Quote from: ArchBishop on May 29, 2007, 11:41:52 PM
You could, but there is No RWD Toyota Sedan, and No RWD Nissan Sedan on sale in the US. That, and they don't rip off thier interior from an Early 90's Benz.
Like I said, everyone is entitled to an opinion  :ohyeah:.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

ifcar

Quote from: ArchBishop on May 29, 2007, 11:41:52 PM

G35 is a 350Z more than the A4 is related to a current VW.

Lebowski

Quote from: LonghornTX on May 29, 2007, 01:56:54 AM
I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.?

However, the 2.0T is a stellar drivetrain, and the A4 (especially the 2.0T) w/ sports package is indeed a very engaging car to drive.? Definately, IMO, more so than the IS350.

Also, by your standards, we should also call the IS350 an overpriced Toyota and the G35 an overpriced Nissan.? That is about how much similarity the A4 has with any existing VW products....

I'd take the A4 over the IS in a heartbeat.

I'd probably take a G35 over the A4 due to power and value, but not everyone shopping in this segment cares that much about power.  The A4 is a strong contender, if it is a little pricey.

SJ_GTI

A4 isn't for everyone, but it does have some advantages.

In general its much cheaper than the 3-series or C-Class.

Its a bit more expensive than the G35, but if you want AWD (the only real reason to be buying an Audi anyway) the G35 only offers the big gas guzzling engine and its automatic only. I'd rather have the weaker 2.0T, shift my own gears, and use less fuel.

The IS and A4 seem to be priced about the same and in AWD form the IS250 has about the same power as the A4 2.0T. The A4 is more engaging to drive though and IMHO is much nicer to look at (inside and out). Again, in AWD form the A4 also offers a manual transmission, and the IS250 does not.

So for me if I was looking for a premium AWD sport sedan, the only real realistic choices are the 328xi and the A4 2.0T Quattro. I can't say for sure which one I'd buy, but given my past history I'd probably lean toward Audi at this point.

MexicoCityM3

So Raza, have you test driven the 335i yet? I am interested in your impressions about the auto box.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 30, 2007, 10:16:24 AM
So Raza, have you test driven the 335i yet? I am interested in your impressions about the auto box.

I have been floored with a mysterious injury, so I haven't been up and about much.  I will probably head there tomorrow.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ArchBishop

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 30, 2007, 07:55:18 AM

Its a bit more expensive than the G35, but if you want AWD (the only real reason to be buying an Audi anyway) the G35 only offers the big gas guzzling engine and its automatic only. I'd rather have the weaker 2.0T, shift my own gears, and use less fuel.

The IS and A4 seem to be priced about the same and in AWD form the IS250 has about the same power as the A4 2.0T. The A4 is more engaging to drive though and IMHO is much nicer to look at (inside and out). Again, in AWD form the A4 also offers a manual transmission, and the IS250 does not.

So for me if I was looking for a premium AWD sport sedan, the only real realistic choices are the 328xi and the A4 2.0T Quattro. I can't say for sure which one I'd buy, but given my past history I'd probably lean toward Audi at this point.

Honestly, That is the best Argument I've seen for the A4 period. I'm can say in all honesty that I agree.

ro51092

I couldn't get myself to get an xDrive 3er. It's just that only RWD is appropriate for a 3er.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 30, 2007, 07:55:18 AM

Hell no. Brand-new 323i here go for $34,900, and brand-new A4 2.0T Q go for $38,500. Theoretically you can get a 2.0T FrontTrak for just over $34, but they almost NEVER have FWD Audis here in the snowbelt.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ro51092

For me, there were two factors as to why I have rings on my keys, instead of a propeller:
-Price- Probably just my dealer, but I got a PHENOMENAL deal on the A4. $369/month, $0 down. BMW was more, I can't remember the figure, but it was a lot more. I was actually willing to pay it.

-Availability- They ONLY had 6AT's. There was a 6-month wait for a 6MT, and I wanted a manual, and didn't have 6 months.

The A4 was very, very competitively priced, and this particular A4 was one of the few quattro A4's in San Diego (duh..). It may seem stupid to have quattro in San Diego, but, hell, I love it.

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 30, 2007, 09:40:43 PM
Hell no. Brand-new 323i here go for $34,900, and brand-new A4 2.0T Q go for $38,500. Theoretically you can get a 2.0T FrontTrak for just over $34, but they almost NEVER have FWD Audis here in the snowbelt.

In America (aka the United States) there is no 323i.  If there were, it would be the value leader of the Germans, most likely.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza  on May 31, 2007, 06:31:10 AM
In America (aka the United States) there is no 323i.  If there were, it would be the value leader of the Germans, most likely.

Really? The cheapest 3 is the 328i? That answers so many questions I had to my American friends compaining about how a 3-series was comparably much more expensive than an A4.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]