SHIT!

Started by Rupert, May 26, 2007, 12:36:20 AM

Rupert

Thanks, I'm on it...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

A friend of mine who drove the same truck for a long time (but his was a '92) came over to check it out. He thinks it's a vacuum problem because it gets worse as the engine warms up. It starts with the revs just falling slowly, and ends with them actually climbing while the truck is in gear and driving (it accelerates). I have no idea how to diagnose a vacuum leak insofar as finding the leak goes.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

JWC

Quote from: Psilos on May 27, 2007, 04:39:17 PM
A friend of mine who drove the same truck for a long time (but his was a '92) came over to check it out. He thinks it's a vacuum problem because it gets worse as the engine warms up. It starts with the revs just falling slowly, and ends with them actually climbing while the truck is in gear and driving (it accelerates). I have no idea how to diagnose a vacuum leak insofar as finding the leak goes.

Check all your vacuum lines...anything looks suspect, even the slightest dry-rot, crack or tear, replace it. 

Raghavan

Psilos, you're basically controlling the speed of the truck with the clutch then? :mask:

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm having trouble understand your problem.

Does this truck have cruise control?

Sounds like its possible the cruise can be causing these problems, i'd try unhooking the cable and see if it goes away.

Rupert

No cruise.

With the vacuum lines... I dunno if I can even find all the lines. I think I'll probably just have a person who knows what's up do it, since that way they can check other things that I might not think to check. Here's to hoping I can get someone to check it out on Tuesday morning!

If I were to drive it, I'd control the speed of the engine with both the clutch and the brake, so that when it's in gear, I can keep the speed down with the brake.

Rupert

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 27, 2007, 09:21:00 PM
I'm having trouble understand your problem.

When I start the truck, it's fine. As it warms up, the problem gets worse. At first, when I put the clutch in while moving (so that the revs are already above idle), the revs fall more slowly than they should. Then the revs stop falling at all and kind of stay where they were before I put the clutch in. At this point you can jab the accelerator (clutch in) or take the clutch out a little (so it slips) and the revs fall slowly back to idle.

When everything is pretty warm, after driving around the block a couple of times, the revs start to rise after the clutch goes in while moving, and the only way to control it is with the clutch--slipping it so the engine has to move the speed you're going. Finally, when it's in gear and the clutch is out, the truck actually accelerates a bit unless you use the brake. At this point, the only way to control the revs is by using the brake with the truck in gear. I haven't been able to replicate the problem while the truck is parked.

Rupert

Yesterday when I took it to the mechanic, it was fine, and they couldn't replicate the problem. They checked the IAC and the vacuum lines, finding nothing wrong. They did replace the battery cables since they were super corroded and partially broken. They said that the 'puter might have been getting too little power and thinking something was wrong when it wasn't, and the problem was the 'puter's attempt to fix the problem. At any rate, I drove for seven hours yesterday, and it was fine.

S204STi

That might have been it.  The car was undercharging due to corroded battery cables, and the car was trying to increase RPM to deal with it.

footoflead

Quote from: Psilos on May 30, 2007, 09:04:15 PM
Yesterday when I took it to the mechanic, it was fine, and they couldn't replicate the problem. They checked the IAC and the vacuum lines, finding nothing wrong. They did replace the battery cables since they were super corroded and partially broken. They said that the 'puter might have been getting too little power and thinking something was wrong when it wasn't, and the problem was the 'puter's attempt to fix the problem. At any rate, I drove for seven hours yesterday, and it was fine.
Often times it is the simplest things that make us beat our heads against the wall  :banghead:
:lol:

Glad it wasn't anything...terminal...like in the past  :lol: ;)
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on May 30, 2007, 09:09:19 PM
That might have been it.? The car was undercharging due to corroded battery cables, and the car was trying to increase RPM to deal with it.

wow, cars are too smart now... usually they'd just die when that happens  :confused:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Yeah, no kidding. Oh, for the days of engine bays you could stand in!

Rupert

Quote from: footoflead on May 30, 2007, 09:54:24 PM
Often times it is the simplest things that make us beat our heads against the wall  :banghead:
:lol:

Glad it wasn't anything...terminal...like in the past  :lol: ;)

Seriously... I was starting to think that a) I should stop trying to own a car, and b) I should start believing in god. :lol:

S204STi

Still no problems so far?

Rupert

I haven't driven it. :lol:

footoflead

Quote from: Psilos on May 31, 2007, 12:41:51 AM
Seriously... I was starting to think that a) I should stop trying to own a car, and b) I should start believing in god. :lol:
You could make your very own CAR GOD, that would solve all of your problems.

An occasional sacrifice to appease him/her/it and you good to go  :ohyeah:.

btw-does not reflect my religious beliefs

if that does not work, i would strongly recommend option A, cars do not last long around you my brother ;) lol

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

I think he's made enough sacrifices to the car gods.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

footoflead

Quote from: Raza  on June 02, 2007, 03:32:29 PM
:lol: :lol: :pullover:

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Rupert

Danish

Quote from: Raza  on June 02, 2007, 03:32:29 PM

Personally, I think he is cursed until he rights some past wrong
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Danish on June 04, 2007, 01:24:28 AM

:lol: :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rupert

Quote from: Danish on June 04, 2007, 01:24:28 AM

I've considered that, but I can't afford a Miata now. :lol:

SVT_Power

Quote from: Psilos on June 04, 2007, 08:51:04 PM

At least you know what you did wrong  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

850CSi

Quote from: Psilos on June 04, 2007, 08:51:04 PM

You know, the first step towards solving a problem is admitting it...  :lol:

Rupert

I don't have a car problem! I can stop any time I want! :lol:

Rupert

Quote from: Psilos on May 27, 2007, 11:57:51 PM
When I start the truck, it's fine. As it warms up, the problem gets worse. At first, when I put the clutch in while moving (so that the revs are already above idle), the revs fall more slowly than they should. Then the revs stop falling at all and kind of stay where they were before I put the clutch in. At this point you can jab the accelerator (clutch in) or take the clutch out a little (so it slips) and the revs fall slowly back to idle.

When everything is pretty warm, after driving around the block a couple of times, the revs start to rise after the clutch goes in while moving, and the only way to control it is with the clutch--slipping it so the engine has to move the speed you're going. Finally, when it's in gear and the clutch is out, the truck actually accelerates a bit unless you use the brake. At this point, the only way to control the revs is by using the brake with the truck in gear. I haven't been able to replicate the problem while the truck is parked.

On noes! It's back. I drove the Ranger across town today, and towards the end of the drive from home, the same problem began. It happened all the way home. The battery terminals have a bit of corrosion on them, so I suppose I'll start by getting rid of that. *sigh*

On the bright side, it's been 8000 miles since the last trip to the shop.

280Z Turbo

Too bad you didn't get the Mazda engined one.

It's better in every way.

Rupert

Which one is the Mazda engine?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Psilos on April 16, 2008, 05:01:04 PM
Which one is the Mazda engine?

2.3L DOHC Duratec.

[edit] Duratec 23
The Duratec 23 is a 2.3 L (2261 cc) version of the Mazda-designed Duratec 20. Bore is 87.4 mm and stroke is 94 mm. It has an aluminum engine block with cast iron cylinder liners and aluminum DOHC cylinder heads. It uses SFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder and features fracture-split forged powder metal connecting rods and a one-piece cast crankshaft.

The 23EW was built in Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico for use in the American market Focus through the 2007 model year. The Ford Focus version does not have VVT, and its output is 151 hp (113 kW) at 5750 rpm with 154 ft?lbf (209 N?m) of torque at 4250 rpm. A VVT version of this engine is used on the Mazda6, Ford Fusion, and Mercury Milan producing 160 hp (120 kW).

The 23NS is built in Dearborn, MI for the Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series. Output is 143 hp (107 kW) at 5250 rpm with 154 ft?lbf (209 N?m) of torque at 3750 rpm.

Applications:

23EW
2003-2007 Ford Focus
23NS
2005 Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute
Ford Ranger/Mazda B-Series
The Duratec 23E is a version of the Duratec 23 with California PZEV emissions.

An Atkinson cycle version is used in the Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner Hybrid, and Mazda Tribute Hybrid.

Rupert

Ah, yes. They made those in 2000. ;)