C&D "Everyday Supercars"

Started by TheIntrepid, May 29, 2007, 02:46:16 PM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 30, 2007, 11:51:22 AM
Yes, 4WD sure helps in powering earlier out of corners. But the 911TT has that too, less weight, and a lot more power....

I just checked out the scans over at the RS6 forum, and in the discussion there they mention that EVO has the R8 beating an F430 around Bedford. Basically, only the Enzo was faster than the R8 on that track according to them.

I am very impressed. But I still hate Audis. :banghead:

Wow faster than an F430, and here I thought it would take the V10 version to beat the F430.  The new Audi's are awesome.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 30, 2007, 07:57:37 AM
But would you drive it in weather where the maintenance crews use a shitload of rust-inducing salt and where the morons driving on 3 season tires are sliding through intersections?  Not me.

Life is short.

I'd have a hard time deciding between these three.  I'd probably take one of each   :rockon:

The R8 is definitely growing on me.

Raza

I'm on the fence.  I have a sports car and I have a sports sedan.  And, the sports car costs almost three times that of the sedan.  So, when I have the option, I'm going to take the sedan in high risk areas.  That's what's nice about having two cars that you enjoy driving.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9381.msg464917#msg464917 date=1180566185
I'm on the fence.? I have a sports car and I have a sports sedan.? And, the sports car costs almost three times that of the sedan.? So, when I have the option, I'm going to take the sedan in high risk areas.? That's what's nice about having two cars that you enjoy driving.
I fixed it for you? :P.? Seriously though, it must be nice having a Boxter S and a Passat.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on May 30, 2007, 05:42:38 PM
I fixed it for you  :P.  Seriously though, it must be nice having a Boxter S and a Passat.

Yes, it is.   :lol:

I just wish the Passat was a stick, that's all.

And the part about having two that you enjoy is so that you don't have to feel deprived when you take the other car.  I've been told that I should get a diesel to replace the Passat, but I think it's silly to believe that if you have one fun car, you have enough.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9381.msg464955#msg464955 date=1180568859
Yes, it is.? ?:lol:

I just wish the Passat was a stick, that's all.

And the part about having two that you enjoy is so that you don't have to feel deprived when you take the other car.? I've been told that I should get a diesel to replace the Passat, but I think it's silly to believe that if you have one fun car, you have enough.
I hear ya  :ohyeah:.

goldenlover1101

Out of these, I will take the R8. But I agree, where is the super bow tie competitor, that is $40-50,000 cheaper, as fast, and I've heard the new handling tweaks have really improved the stability. Oh well, it wouldn't of been a fair fight. :tounge:

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

Raghavan

Z06 got new rear shocks i think and it really eliminates the twichiness of the car. I think it would've been a great competitor.
Plus it is an everyday supercar, unlike these other cars.

850CSi

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on May 30, 2007, 08:09:53 PM
Out of these, I will take the R8. But I agree, where is the super bow tie competitor, that is $40-50,000 cheaper, as fast, and I've heard the new handling tweaks have really improved the stability. Oh well, it wouldn't of been a fair fight. :tounge:

Apples to oranges.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raghavan on May 30, 2007, 08:14:24 PM
Z06 got new rear shocks i think and it really eliminates the twichiness of the car. I think it would've been a great competitor.
Plus it is an everyday supercar, unlike these other cars.
How is the Z06 anymore "everyday" than a 911TT, other than price?

TheIntrepid

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on May 30, 2007, 08:09:53 PM

:confused: Z06!? Doesn't compare, dude. :huh:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Lebowski

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 31, 2007, 07:16:33 AM
:confused: Z06!? Doesn't compare, dude. :huh:

Why not, it fits the bill of "everyday supercar" better than the Aston does.  Not knocking the Aston, it's a gorgeous car, I just don't think it's performance #s are all that "super".

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on May 31, 2007, 07:34:42 AM
Why not, it fits the bill of "everyday supercar" better than the Aston does.  Not knocking the Aston, it's a gorgeous car, I just don't think it's performance #s are all that "super".

It's not the performance that doesn't fit, it's the car.  A supercar has to be more than performance, there is a bit of intangibility that comes with the term "supercar", that the Z06 just doesn't have.  It's an amazing machine, it's just not a supercar.

That said, I don't think the Aston is a supercar either.  The DB9 is not.  The closest thing is the Vanquish, which has the pedigree, but the performance is slightly off compared to other supercars.  Actually, I don't think the 911 Turbo is a supercar either (the GT2, GT3/RS, CGT, yes).  The R8 seems to be, though. 

"Supercar", like "hero", is a word thrown about too often.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9381.msg465379#msg465379 date=1180618928
It's not the performance that doesn't fit, it's the car.? A supercar has to be more than performance, there is a bit of intangibility that comes with the term "supercar", that the Z06 just doesn't have.? It's an amazing machine, it's just not a supercar.

That said, I don't think the Aston is a supercar either.? The DB9 is not.? The closest thing is the Vanquish, which has the pedigree, but the performance is slightly off compared to other supercars.? Actually, I don't think the 911 Turbo is a supercar either (the GT2, GT3/RS, CGT, yes).? The R8 seems to be, though.?

"Supercar", like "hero", is a word thrown about too often.

I agree the Supercar term is overused, but 99% of the cars I'd consider "Supercars" (Enzo, Zonda F, CGT, among others, I don't think I'd even consider the GT3 a true supercar but maybe the upcoming GT2).  But the comparo isn't entitled "Supercars shootout" and it doesn't include cars like that, it's entitled "Everyday Supercars" which in my read means a compromise, cars that can be driven every day but also offer near supercar level performance.  IMO the ZO6 and 911TT fit that category as well as anything.

ChrisV

Quote from: ro51092 on May 29, 2007, 03:26:59 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
The 911's the enthusiast's ride, the Aston's for the sissy who wants to look cool.

I love Porsches. I've had Porsches. I'll take the Aston, thank you. More capable than any street car needs to be, and looks better than any of the others on this list. Hell, it looks better than pretty much anything else period. And I can appreciate that no matter WHAT kind of driving I'm doing.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

omicron

I prefer the look of this:

To this:

850CSi

QuoteWhy not, it fits the bill of "everyday supercar" better than the Aston does.  Not knocking the Aston, it's a gorgeous car, I just don't think it's performance #s are all that "super".

For the same reason why we don't compare Evos and STis to M5s and E63s.

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on June 01, 2007, 07:17:28 AM

To this:

Omi...you're on crack and I advise that you get yourself into rehab right this minute.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on June 01, 2007, 06:48:13 AM
I agree the Supercar term is overused, but 99% of the cars I'd consider "Supercars" (Enzo, Zonda F, CGT, among others, I don't think I'd even consider the GT3 a true supercar but maybe the upcoming GT2).  But the comparo isn't entitled "Supercars shootout" and it doesn't include cars like that, it's entitled "Everyday Supercars" which in my read means a compromise, cars that can be driven every day but also offer near supercar level performance.  IMO the ZO6 and 911TT fit that category as well as anything.

Perhaps the Z06 should have been included.  But I didn't write it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: omicron on June 01, 2007, 07:17:28 AM

To this:

That's because you have eyes.

Although this is my favorite picture of the classic V8:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on June 01, 2007, 08:17:06 AM
For the same reason why we don't compare Evos and STis to M5s and E63s.

But you probably should.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

Quote from: Raza on June 01, 2007, 09:51:33 AM
That's because you have eyes.

Although this is my favorite picture of the classic V8:

It's so lovely. The new one is nice, but it's just a bit of round and curve and that. A bit too Gordon, who was rather flash.

omicron

Tave

That V8 looks pitiful next to the earlier DB line

I like the new one better
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: omicron on June 01, 2007, 09:56:10 AM
It's so lovely. The new one is nice, but it's just a bit of round and curve and that. A bit too Gordon, who was rather flash.

My big issue is that all the new Astons look the same. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

Quote from: Raza on June 01, 2007, 10:50:46 AM
My big issue is that all the new Astons look the same.

Certainly the V8 Vantage and the DB9, yes. The Vanquish S gets away with it, but only just.

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9381.msg466814#msg466814 date=1180716646
My big issue is that all the new Astons look the same.?

This comming from a Porsche guy, sheesh. :rolleyes:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on June 01, 2007, 11:36:01 AM
This comming from a Porsche guy, sheesh. :rolleyes:

Yeah, many 911s look similar, but you can instantly tell the difference between 911s, Boxsters, 944s, 928s, Cayennes, and the like.  Besides, the 911 is an evolutionary design.  The V8, DB9, and Vanquish, and the upcoming DBS are all of different lines, and the only one that should look like it does is the DB9, since it clearly looks like an evolution of the DB7, and the DB7 looks like it could be part of the DB line.  The V8 looks nothing like the original V8, which was another evolutionary design until this new model which looks exactly like the DB9 and Vanquish.  And the Vanquish doesn't have any sort of lineage, so I guess it's okay that it looks like the rest. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on June 01, 2007, 12:22:05 PM

Yeah, many 911s look similar, but you can instantly tell the difference between 911s, Boxsters, 944s, 928s, Cayennes, and the like.

And I can tell the difference between Astons at a glance. it's all in your level of interest. In the '70s or '80s, was it a 912,  SC, Carerra or turbo> Oh, look, the flares are SLIGHTLY larger... And the avearge person can't tell the difference between a 928 and a 968. or between a 944 and a 911 slopenose.

As for the rest of that rant, I've said it before, it's a design language, and companies in every type of market pay good money to come up with one that works, from the look of Braun appliances, to Cuisinarts, to Apple products. They are supposed to look like they came from the same place, to instantly identify them with the brand's heritage/image/etc.

I like the fact that Astons look like Astons, in different sizes and configurations, as they are all attractive, and NONE of them are all that common. Not like there are hundreds of thousands of them running around...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

GoCougs