C&D "Everyday Supercars"

Started by TheIntrepid, May 29, 2007, 02:46:16 PM

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9381.msg463858#msg463858 date=1180473231
The R8 is only the second car that I've ever heard of that has a mid engine, AWD layout.?

Really?  What about the Diablo VT from the early 90s.  The Murci and the Gallardo too.  The Ford RS200 was mid engine AWD too, as well as the Tommy Kaira ZZII.  I'm sure there are a few others I'm missing.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on May 29, 2007, 03:13:51 PM
The R8 is only the second car that I've ever heard of that has a mid engine, AWD layout. 

Really?  Which of the following haven't you heard of before:

Lambo Gallardo
Lambo Murcielago
Lambo Diablo
Ford RS200
Bugatti Veyron
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Quote from: MX793 on May 29, 2007, 06:18:57 PM
Really?? Which of the following haven't you heard of before:

Lambo Gallardo
Lambo Murcielago
Lambo Diablo
Ford RS200
Bugatti Veyron

Whoa that was kinda spooky..... :confused:

Raghavan

Quote from: 565 on May 29, 2007, 06:19:57 PM
Whoa that was kinda spooky..... :confused:
The fact that you guys named 4 of the same cars or that you forgot the Veyron?

Quote from: Raghavan on May 29, 2007, 06:21:38 PM
The fact that you guys named 4 of the same cars or that you forgot the Veyron?

Well I feel bad about forgetting the Veyron and the fact we named 4 of the same cars isn't is far fetched considering it's a small field.  The spooky thing was that Raza posted that comment a LONG time ago, but MX and I responded at about the same time, and both starting with the word "Really?"

JYODER240

Very impressive. I'd have a hard time not picking a 911 but if i was spending this much money I'd go for the GT3. It's the most pure, and involving car in the 911 lineup. Possibly the most pure, and involving car for sale today.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

LonghornTX

Quote from: 565 on May 29, 2007, 05:23:38 PM
Wow that R8 performed excellently.  I totally underestimated the Audi, thinking it was just a halo car and not a real competitor.  It's quite a bit slower than the 911 Turbo in a straight line, but still so completely beat it on the track.  The Audi's handling must be pure magic.  It's also cheaper than the 911 Turbo as well.

Before I always thought the R8 would be a performance match for the 911 4S, thus the R8 would have been an overpriced alternative.  This review shows that at least on a track, it can obliterate a 911 Turbo, and suddenly it's looking like a bargain.  I have alot more respect for this car now.

Now I wonder what the V10 version will do.  F430 killer?
After reading the article, I can't help but think that they were a little scared by the 911TT and thus their lap times were a little slow.  Given professional drivers (with balls of steel  :lol:), I can't help but think that these lap times might be a little different.

Of course that is not really that important to us plebes.  The R8 looks to be quite a performer  :ohyeah:.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

ArchBishop

Quote from: ro51092 on May 29, 2007, 03:26:59 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
The 911's the enthusiast's ride, the Aston's for the sissy who wants to look cool.

Agreed. And We never see eye to eye.

Lebowski

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 29, 2007, 02:53:35 PM
There, fixed.? How are these everyday supercars?? I was thinking this would be Corvette, GT500, Boxster, Exige S, etc.? Those are everyday supercars.

Doesn't say "affordable", it says every day, meaning those who can afford it can conceivably use it as their DD (although most won't, especially people in the snowbelt).

If I owned a 997TT, it would be my daily driver.

Lebowski

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 29, 2007, 04:25:04 PM
you could say that about any car. heck, some people called me silly for keeping my alloy wheels on during winter.

For me, I figure if I am going to spend the money to buy a nice car, I am going to drive it as much as possible.? :huh:

I'm in the same boat.  I figure I get my money's worth out of a car by driving it, not by letting it sit in the garage.

If I ever spend $100k+ on a car you can be damn sure I'll be driving it A LOT.

SVT666

Quote from: Lebowski on May 30, 2007, 06:59:24 AM
I'm in the same boat.? I figure I get my money's worth out of a car by driving it, not by letting it sit in the garage.

If I ever spend $100k+ on a car you can be damn sure I'll be driving it A LOT.
But would you drive it in weather where the maintenance crews use a shitload of rust-inducing salt and where the morons driving on 3 season tires are sliding through intersections?  Not me.

Lebowski

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 30, 2007, 07:57:37 AM
But would you drive it in weather where the maintenance crews use a shitload of rust-inducing salt and where the morons driving on 3 season tires are sliding through intersections?? Not me.

I live in FL so don't have to worry about that.  I'd probably have a cheap 2nd car if I lived in an area with bad weather.

Nethead

TheIntrepid:  IntrepiDude, did C&D say how they figured that a V8 Vantage belonged in this comparo?  Were the "as tested" vehicle weights given?  Were there other cars that they wanted but couldn't get in time for the comparo?
So many stairs...so little time...

r0tor

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 30, 2007, 07:57:37 AM
But would you drive it in weather where the maintenance crews use a shitload of rust-inducing salt and where the morons driving on 3 season tires are sliding through intersections?? Not me.

I do that to my current car  :huh:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Nethead on May 30, 2007, 09:11:43 AM
TheIntrepid:  IntrepiDude, did C&D say how they figured that a V8 Vantage belonged in this comparo?  Were the "as tested" vehicle weights given?  Were there other cars that they wanted but couldn't get in time for the comparo?

Nethead, I took these numbers from another website. I'll let you know about this when my C&D comes; which should be today or tomorrow.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on May 30, 2007, 09:16:21 AM
I do that to my current car? :huh:
Did your car cost $100K?  I drove my modified Mustang year round here in Calgary, but there's no way I would drive an R8 or an Aston Martin year round.

MexicoCityM3

I'd take a GT3 over any of those cars.

How is an Audi R8 an "everyday" super car? I'll take an E92 M3 with the same HP, 4 seats, and similar performance (admittedly not the same, but we will see) at half the price, thanks. Now THAT is an everyday super car.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: 565 on May 29, 2007, 06:16:28 PM
Really?  What about the Diablo VT from the early 90s.  The Murci and the Gallardo too.  The Ford RS200 was mid engine AWD too, as well as the Tommy Kaira ZZII.  I'm sure there are a few others I'm missing.

Oh wow.

Totally forgot about the Lamborghinis.  And everything else.

Brain wasn't working yesterday.  I apologize. 

I was thinking of the 205 T16. 

Wow, I was really out of it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

850CSi

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 30, 2007, 10:15:18 AM
How is an Audi R8 an "everyday" super car? I'll take an E92 M3 with the same HP, 4 seats, and similar performance (admittedly not the same, but we will see) at half the price, thanks. Now THAT is an everyday super car.

I don't think the E92 M3 will be faster than a 997 Turbo around a track, which the R8 destroyed.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 850CSi on May 30, 2007, 11:19:11 AM
I don't think the E92 M3 will be faster than a 997 Turbo around a track, which the R8 destroyed.

Agreed. That's why I said "similar". Frankly, this test result is weird. I find it hard to believe but will do so if other mags chime in with similar results. Just not yet.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

850CSi

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 30, 2007, 11:25:30 AM
Agreed. That's why I said "similar". Frankly, this test result is weird. I find it hard to believe but will do so if other mags chime in with similar results. Just not yet.

One word: quattro. I really think that explains a lot of the amazing lap times Audis seem to get (anyone remember the C/D comparison with the new TT?)

Have you seen the Fifth Gear where they compared the RS 4 to the E46 M3? Now granted everyone knows the RS 4 is a lot more powerful, but Tiff Needell (a former F1 driver) seemed to think that quattro had more than anything to do with the fact that the M3 just couldn't keep up. They kept talking about how the M3 was more fun but the Audi was a track machine.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 850CSi on May 30, 2007, 11:32:58 AM
One word: quattro. I really think that explains a lot of the amazing lap times Audis seem to get (anyone remember the C/D comparison with the new TT?)

Have you seen the Fifth Gear where they compared the RS 4 to the E46 M3? Now granted everyone knows the RS 4 is a lot more powerful, but Tiff Needell (a former F1 driver) seemed to think that quattro had more than anything to do with the fact that the M3 just couldn't keep up. They kept talking about how the M3 was more fun but the Audi was a track machine.

Yes, 4WD sure helps in powering earlier out of corners. But the 911TT has that too, less weight, and a lot more power....

I just checked out the scans over at the RS6 forum, and in the discussion there they mention that EVO has the R8 beating an F430 around Bedford. Basically, only the Enzo was faster than the R8 on that track according to them.

I am very impressed. But I still hate Audis. :banghead:
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

JYODER240

Quote from: r0tor on May 30, 2007, 09:16:21 AM
I do that to my current car? :huh:

Me too. Cars are meant to be driven. Sure the salt my not be the best for my car but its so much fun driving it in the snow that I just don't care. Thats the reason why I got the car.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 30, 2007, 10:15:18 AM

:confused:

I'm not knocking the E92 M3 which I'm sure will be sweet, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it a "supercar".  Although, the same could be said about the Aston as well.

heelntoe

look, the guys at that RS6 site even have a smiley for it:

:lol:
@heelntoe

SJ_GTI

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 30, 2007, 12:18:00 PM

Me too. Cars are meant to be driven. Sure the salt my not be the best for my car but its so much fun driving it in the snow that I just don't care. Thats the reason why I got the car.

For an Audi, it seems almost rediculous IMHO to avoid snow. the whole point of an Audi is the AWD. the whole point to AWD is for better traction. The time that the extra traction would be the most helpful is in foul weather.

If you are only going to drive in fair weather, you're better off skipping any AWD car and just stick to RWD.

LonghornTX

Quote from: 850CSi on May 30, 2007, 11:32:58 AM

After reading the article, I think it has more to do with the fact that the R8 is easier to drive.  They talked about being scared of snap oversteer in the 911TT  :confused:.  BTW, that TT in the C&D article was FWD, not quattro.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

850CSi

QuoteI'm not knocking the E92 M3 which I'm sure will be sweet, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it a "supercar".  Although, the same could be said about the Aston as well.

I think it depends on your definition of supercar. Personally, I don't think any of these are supercars. When I think supercar, I think McLaren F1, Carrera GT, Koenigsegg CC, Pagani Zonda, Saleen S7, etc.

850CSi

QuoteAfter reading the article, I think it has more to do with the fact that the R8 is easier to drive.  They talked about being scared of snap oversteer in the 911TT  .  BTW, that TT in the C&D article was FWD, not quattro.

Hmm... I stand corrected then.