McLaren F1 successor?

Started by SVT666, May 31, 2007, 10:16:39 AM

SVT666

With the announcement that McLaren and Mercedes have severed ties on their street legal supercar development program, there are rumours that McLaren is set to develop a successor to the F1 supercar, and the intention is to once again build the greatest driver's car ever built.

What do you think the car's specs should look like?

I am hoping for the following:
1. central driving position
2. 725 hp variable vane twin turbo flywheel-less BMW V8
3. carbon fibre, titanium, and magnesium construction
4. 2200 lbs max weight
5. RWD
6. Mid engine
7. 6 speed manual or 7 speed F1 style paddle shifting

Except for the engine, I think I just described the F1. :mask: :rockon:

850CSi

An F1 with a 7-speed DSG-type transmission and more power styled a little differently and with even more advanced materials. All-aluminum engine maybe?

Champ

Make it faster than the old one.

850CSi

QuoteMake it faster than the old one.

More importantly, faster than the Veyron

Champ

Right.

This seems like a really big risk.  If you are Mclaren do you retire on top with one of the best super cars of all time, or do you try to best yourself and chance falling on your face?

Tave

Not that big of a risk. To me, Jordan's carrer isn't tarnished because of those last few seasons with Washington.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Payman

Are you talking about the Caparo T1?

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 850CSi on May 31, 2007, 11:08:35 AM
More importantly, faster than the Veyron

The Veyron is an amazing piece of machinery.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Lebowski

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Lebowski on May 31, 2007, 12:00:18 PM
Fixed it.

If you appreciate it for what it's meant to be, it's a fine machine. It's fast as hell, very attractive, and packed with creature comforts. The Saleen S7 doesn't have any creature comforts, and feelds like a wild animal. The Veyron can be a comfortable cruiser as well.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Quote from: Payman on May 31, 2007, 11:41:56 AM
Are you talking about the Caparo T1?

That's not a McLaren although designed by Gordon Murray.

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 31, 2007, 12:10:48 PM
If you appreciate it for what it's meant to be, it's a fine machine. It's fast as hell, very attractive, and packed with creature comforts. The Saleen S7 doesn't have any creature comforts, and feelds like a wild animal. The Veyron can be a comfortable cruiser as well.

I agree, everyone rags in the Veyron, saying it's too heavy, too ugly, can't handle etc etc.  But every review of people that have actually driven the Veyron, well they've all been absolutely floored by it.   

Here's what C&D said.

"We've never driven any other car that achieves and maintains high speeds so confidently and effortlessly. Veyrons will never be commonplace and will surely be decorating the 18th fairway at Pebble Beach within the next few decades. If any automobile is worth more than a million bucks, we're happy to nominate the Veyron 16.4."

Here is what R&T said.

" However, we'll let renowned McLaren F1 designer Gordon Murray share his expert opinion on engineering and styling of the Veyron in the following pages. I'll focus on what it is like to drive this amazing exotic during the car's introduction in Sicily. In three words:

Amazing!

Thrilling!

Un-be-liev-able!"

And finally here is what MT said.

"Comparisons with the Ferrari Enzo, Maserati MC12, Mercedes-Benz SLR, and the McLaren F1 of a decade ago are inevitable but irrelevant"

"Bugatti has delivered on every one of the Veyron's considerable promises. It meets the criteria set forth by Chairman Piech when it was announced and does so with aplomb. Luxurious, elegant, imposing, exclusive, crazy expensive, and mind-bendingly fast, the Veyron sets a new high watermark for grand-touring transport."

And Jeremy Clarkson was ranting and raving like a maniac about the Veyron, and he said that the saddest thing of all was that after his test, he'll probably never get to drive it again.

Haters can sit around all day blowing hot air about a car they've never driven and never will drive, but I'm gonna accept the opinions of the lucky people who did drive the beast because I will never have the pleasure of driving it myself.

850CSi

QuoteIf you appreciate it for what it's meant to be, it's a fine machine. It's fast as hell, very attractive, and packed with creature comforts. The Saleen S7 doesn't have any creature comforts, and feelds like a wild animal. The Veyron can be a comfortable cruiser as well.

It's one of the ugliest "supercars" ever built and weighs as much as a 5-Series. I don't see what's so special about an engine that's kept going by FOUR turbochargers. With VW's budget on that thing, you could do anything.

If I want creature comforts, I'll buy an S-Class at a tenth of the cost.

SVT666

Quote from: 850CSi on May 31, 2007, 01:12:53 PM
I don't see what's so special about an engine that's kept going by FOUR turbochargers.
Actually, that is extremely impressive.

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 31, 2007, 10:16:39 AM
With the announcement that McLaren and Mercedes have severed ties on their street legal supercar development program, there are rumours that McLaren is set to develop a successor to the F1 supercar, and the intention is to once again build the greatest driver's car ever built.

What do you think the car's specs should look like?

I am hoping for the following:
1. central driving position
2. 725 hp variable vane twin turbo flywheel-less BMW V8
3. carbon fibre, titanium, and magnesium construction
4. 2200 lbs max weight
5. RWD
6. Mid engine
7. 6 speed manual or 7 speed F1 style paddle shifting

Except for the engine, I think I just described the F1. :mask: :rockon:

All the above except F/I. Should be N/A IMO.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on May 31, 2007, 02:15:54 PM
All the above except F/I. Should be N/A IMO.
I like NA myself, but those variable vane turbos seem to have eliminated all the negative effects of turbocharging.

Champ

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 31, 2007, 02:20:58 PM
I like NA myself, but those variable vane turbos seem to have eliminated all the negative effects of turbocharging.
They are quite good!  :D

Michael Estorol

Quote from: Champ on May 31, 2007, 11:15:37 AM

This seems like a really big risk.?

McLaren put their reputation on the line every couple of weeks.  They're a racing company.  Risk is what they do (I'm pleased to say). 

They should have stuck to their guns in the first place and insisted the SLR be mid-(rear)-engined.  Compromising there when they should have stood up to the Merc paymasters has proved to be the real mistake which has tarnished the McName.

Michael Estorol

Quote from: Tave on May 31, 2007, 11:19:43 AM
Not that big of a risk. To me, Jordan's carrer isn't tarnished because of those last few seasons with Washington.

for a minute there I thought you meant Eddie Jordan.

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 31, 2007, 11:53:14 AM
The Veyron is an amazing piece of machinery.

You're right but thats all it is. A piece of machinery; it's an engineering marvel and that's all.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raghavan

Please get rid of the center driving position.

And why the V8 and no V12?

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Raghavan

Quote from: Tave on June 01, 2007, 09:22:20 AM
Sacrilege! :nono:
Why? Would you like the harder ingress/egress just for a wierd driving position?

Tave

Quote from: Raghavan on June 01, 2007, 09:23:25 AM
Why? Would you like the harder ingress/egress just for a purer wierd driving position?

Fixed, and yes I would. The car's so small anyway it's not like it even matters.

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on June 01, 2007, 09:23:25 AM
Why? Would you like the harder ingress/egress just for a wierd driving position?
Weird?  It's the purest driving position you can possibly get.  BTW, these specs are what I want to see, not what McLaren will be doing, so the TT V8 probably won't happen.

Raghavan

Quote from: Tave on June 01, 2007, 09:26:11 AM
Fixed, and yes I would. The car's so small anyway it's not like it even matters.
How is it purer?
Wierder...

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on June 01, 2007, 09:29:07 AM
How is it purer?
Wierder...
Centre of the car.  You sit right at the rotational axis so you don't experience any body roll and you are also the same distance from both sides of the car.  Who wouldn't want to sit in the middle?  It would be like driving a race car.

Tave

Quote from: Raghavan on June 01, 2007, 09:29:07 AM
How is it purer?

The car is dynamically balanced latitudally regardless of the driver's weight. Have you noticed how cars behave differently turning left opposed to turning right? This one would provide the same corning feel independent of the direction. You'd also be in a better position to judge the apexes of right-handed curves.

I'm really amazed that I have to explain WHY anyone would prefer a center-driving position to another car guy. :devil:

Raghavan

Quote from: Tave on June 01, 2007, 09:34:32 AM
The car is dynamically balanced latitudally regardless of the driver's weight. Have you noticed how cars behave differently turning left opposed to turning right? This one would provide the same corning feel independent of the direction. You'd also be in a better position to judge the apexes of right-handed curves.

I'm really amazed that I have to explain WHY anyone would prefer a center-driving position to another car guy. :devil:
That's why people stick the battery in the trunk opposite to the driver's side. Plus you're a n00b if you can't judge apexes of right-hand turns. :nono:

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on June 01, 2007, 09:36:59 AM
That's why people stick the battery in the trunk opposite to the driver's side. Plus you're a n00b if you can't judge apexes of right-hand turns. :nono:
You are the noob. :rolleyes: