Started by SVT666, May 31, 2007, 10:16:39 AM

Raghavan

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 01, 2007, 09:38:51 AM
You are the noob. :rolleyes:
Why, because I don't like the "centre" driving position? :rolleyes:

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on June 01, 2007, 09:39:51 AM
Why, because I don't like the "centre" driving position? :rolleyes:
No, because you don't like it for illogical reasons.

Tave

Whatever man. The only reason other manufacturers don't do it is packaging. The seat position is one of my favorite aspects of the original car. Anyone with half a brain can understand why.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raghavan

I can understand why you like it, i just don't like middlehand drive.

Tave

Quote from: Raghavan on June 01, 2007, 09:36:59 AM
That's why people stick the battery in the trunk opposite to the driver's side. Plus you're a n00b if you can't judge apexes of right-hand turns. :nono:

OOOoooo, them's awfully tall words comming from a BOY who doesn't even have a car. Let's do an experiment: when you finally DO get a car bring it out to Laramie and we'll see if you can keep up on Roger's Canyon Road.

Or, for that matter, on the alternating right and left handers between Lewis and Harney or Lewis and Ivinson. My friend couldn't in his Teg.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

850CSi

QuoteWhatever man. The only reason other manufacturers don't do it is packaging. The seat position is one of my favorite aspects of the original car. Anyone with half a brain can understand why.

+1

Raghavan

Quote from: Tave on June 01, 2007, 09:46:37 AM
OOOoooo, them's awfully tall words comming from a BOY who doesn't even have a car. Let's do an experiment: when you finally DO get a car bring it out to Laramie and we'll see if you can keep up on Roger's Canyon Road.

Or, for that matter, on the alternating right and left handers between Lewis and Harney or Lewis and Ivinson. My friend couldn't in his Teg.
Years of video gamez have given me supreme reflexes and judging abilitiez. :praise:

FordSVT

Quote from: JYODER240 on June 01, 2007, 08:18:56 AM
You're right but thats all it is. A piece of machinery; it's an engineering marvel and that's all.

I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from. It's Superhero fast, super rare, and it's an engineering marvel that puts the ultimate smile on the face of anyone lucky enough to drive it.

And "that's all"? Shit, you'd think you were driving an Enzo instead of a coupe on a warmed-over sedan platform shared with a crossover sport ute.  :rolleyes:

565's post was dead on: if any of you "Veyron haters" got the chance to experience one, I'd bet you'd change your tune. Sure it's expensive, but it's not the same kind of car as the S7 or the Enzo or the F1, and it's not fair to judge the car based on the same expectations. It's like complaining that the Cadillac CTS-V doesn't perform as well as the Z06. Having said that, the Veyron is a LOT faster around a track than you people give it credit for. And yes, it's a straight line MONSTER. "Only 1000hp? And that's not impressive because it uses FOUR TURBOS!" Sure, and there are so many THOUSAND HP QUAD TURBO V16 cars on the road, there's nothing special about this one.  :rolleyes:

Any car that can leave Jeremy  Clarkeson speechless is impressive for that fact alone.  :lol:

And I'm just ribbing you about your car, JYODER, I have no beef with you or your 350Z.   :mrcool:

mojammer

I don't care much about the driving position, but I think that making a new car even faster than the bugatti would probably compromise the driving experience.? I would say make the car redline limited to about 220mph or so, and make it great by being unbelievably fast at nurburgring and other famous tracks.? ?

The old car had a 6064cc v12, 7500rpm redline, ~600hp, 479lb-ft, and the car weighed about 2600lbs (as tested by C/D).? And that was 15 years ago.

I'd like to see something like this:
As tested weight, under 2750lbs
7.0L V12 8000-8500rpm redline
750hp+
550lb-ft+
over 450lb-ft from really low, like 2500rpm
rwd
good weight distribution
and a dsg/smg tranny.?

NomisR

2750 lb is way too much.. target weight should be under 2000lb!  Anything more is too heavy!

The key to a good sports car is acceleration, handling and braking, adding power only enhances one thing, acceleration, which reduciing weight enhances all 3..  so lower weight!

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on June 04, 2007, 02:54:39 PM
2750 lb is way too much.. target weight should be under 2000lb!? Anything more is too heavy!
The F1 had a curb weight of 2200 and the car was made entirely out of carbon fibre, titanium, and magnusium.  They had a target weight of 2000 lbs and couldn't meet it.

SVT666

Quote from: mojammer on June 04, 2007, 12:59:37 PM
The old car had a 6064cc v12, 7500rpm redline, ~600hp, 479lb-ft, and the car weighed about 2600lbs (as tested by C/D).? And that was 15 years ago.
The F1 had a 2200 lbs curb weight and the car had 627 hp.

NomisR

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 04, 2007, 03:22:48 PM
The F1 had a curb weight of 2200 and the car was made entirely out of carbon fibre, titanium, and magnusium.? They had a target weight of 2000 lbs and couldn't meet it.

Sure it can.. smaller car.. just trim the engine weight..

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on June 04, 2007, 03:33:57 PM
Sure it can.. smaller car.. just trim the engine weight..
Have you ever seen a McLaren F1 in person?  It's a very small car.  I sat in one and I was blown away by how small that car is.  It's only 11" longer then a Miata and it is actually 5" lower then a Miata.

NomisR

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 04, 2007, 03:46:18 PM
Have you ever seen a McLaren F1 in person?? It's a very small car.? I sat in one and I was blown away by how small that car is.? It's only 11" longer then a Miata and it is actually 5" lower then a Miata.

Yeah I know it's small, but again, most of the weight's certainly not in the body work.  With technology today, I'm sure they can get the weight down to 2000lb if they try hard enough.  Hell, I can get my car a lot lighter if I went all carbon fiber too, so if they went with something similar to a Lotus Chasis except with a all carbon fiber, it's achievable. 

sandertheshark

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 31, 2007, 10:16:39 AM
2. 725 hp variable vane twin turbo flywheel-less BMW V8

I heard a rumor that McLaren & co. is working on such turbos attached to a BMW 6-liter V12, intending to produce in excess of 850hp.

850CSi

Making it too light will compromise high-speed stability.

Quote from: 850CSi on June 04, 2007, 05:06:47 PM
Making it too light will compromise high-speed stability.

You can just get a buttload of downforce.  I remember the Mclaren F1 had things like fans to help suck it to the ground.

NomisR

Quote from: 565 on June 04, 2007, 06:14:36 PM
You can just get a buttload of downforce.? I remember the Mclaren F1 had things like fans to help suck it to the ground.

Yeah, just tons of downforce and tons of HP to compensate for the downforce for top speed...  :ohyeah:

Raghavan

Quote from: NomisR on June 04, 2007, 03:55:41 PM
Yeah I know it's small, but again, most of the weight's certainly not in the body work.  With technology today, I'm sure they can get the weight down to 2000lb if they try hard enough.  Hell, I can get my car a lot lighter if I went all carbon fiber too, so if they went with something similar to a Lotus Chasis except with a all carbon fiber, it's achievable. 
I wouldn't be putting 700+ hp into a bonded chassis.

850CSi

Quote from: 565 on June 04, 2007, 06:14:36 PM
You can just get a buttload of downforce.? I remember the Mclaren F1 had things like fans to help suck it to the ground.

Drag. You can't beat the laws of aerodynamics. The old F1's weight was probably just about perfect IMO.

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on June 04, 2007, 07:24:21 PM
Drag. You can't beat the laws of aerodynamics. The old F1's weight was probably just about perfect IMO.

You can beat the laws of aerodynamics.  With more power.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Nethead

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 31, 2007, 10:16:39 AM
With the announcement that McLaren and Mercedes have severed ties on their street legal supercar development program, there are rumours that McLaren is set to develop a successor to the F1 supercar, and the intention is to once again build the greatest driver's car ever built.

What do you think the car's specs should look like?

I am hoping for the following:
1. central driving position
2. 725 hp variable vane twin turbo flywheel-less BMW V8
3. carbon fibre, titanium, and magnesium construction
4. 2200 lbs max weight
5. RWD
6. Mid engine
7. 6 speed manual or 7 speed F1 style paddle shifting

Except for the engine, I think I just described the F1. :mask: :rockon:
HEMI666:? ?The Nethead here's back from family time in Awfucket.? ?Memorial Day's big in our family due to the number of veterans amongst the men (my late father was in the Marines in the South Pacific from Guadalcanal through some months of the occupation of Japan, my late maternal uncle lost half a leg at Normandy, a late maternal uncle-by-marriage was career Air Force, a first cousin was also one term in the Air Force, his late brother and I each did one term in the Army, another first cousin once removed is in the Coast Guard and his brother will join in September, and my late maternal grandfather joined the Army but World War 1 ended while he was in basic training so the entire basic training battalion was discharged).?
But I digress...it's time to go turboshaft in exotics.? They cost like Hell anyway so why not advance the breed with a helicopter turboshaft??

In my lifetime, I don't think any single car dominated its class like Andy Granatelli's 1967 turboshaft Indy racer driven by--of course--Parnelli Jones :clap:? ? The engine was a civil helicopter turboshaft of around 1500 HP, and it had about a quarter-lap lead by the end of the first lap!? It was beyond utter domination!? A gear in the transmission broke late in the race or it would have won in what would have been the greatest upset in modern automotive history.? USAC immediately placed huge restrictions upon turboshaft engines--and after the Lotus-turboshafts dominated the 1968 race even with the hugely-restricted turboshaft engines, 4WD was also banned by USAC because the turboshafts produced so much power that only 4WD could get it all to the pavement.?

With forty more years of development, today's turboshaft engines would produce colossal supercars.? They would probably require AWD or all that power would go up in smoke.? McLaren might just be the people to make all this work--the Lotus engineers that produced the magnificent 1968 Lotus Indy cars have all retired or died.? Turboshafts use a version of diesel fuel, too, although they're thirsty...Still to be solved is the issue of exhaust heat--turboshaft exhaust is extremely hot, and turboshafts put out tremendous amounts of exhaust.? The Indy turboshafts exhausted upwards to prevent frying the racecars behind them.? I dunno if a streetable version of the upwards exhaust would be practical--the EPA, the NHTSA, and who knows who else would whine about some detail or other, but that's to be expected.? Australia may be the only country with the technology and the laws to make turboshaft streetcars a reality.
So many stairs...so little time...

omicron

It would be? Do explain. I'm intrigued.

heelntoe

Quote from: NomisR on June 04, 2007, 02:54:39 PM
2750 lb is way too much.. target weight should be under 2000lb!  Anything more is too heavy!

The key to a good sports car is acceleration, handling and braking, adding power only enhances one thing, acceleration, which reduciing weight enhances all 3..  so lower weight!
lotus owners. :rolleyes: :lol:
@heelntoe

JYODER240

Quote from: FordSVT on June 03, 2007, 07:20:46 AM
I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from. It's Superhero fast, super rare, and it's an engineering marvel that puts the ultimate smile on the face of anyone lucky enough to drive it.

And "that's all"? Shit, you'd think you were driving an Enzo instead of a coupe on a warmed-over sedan platform shared with a crossover sport ute.? :rolleyes:

565's post was dead on: if any of you "Veyron haters" got the chance to experience one, I'd bet you'd change your tune. Sure it's expensive, but it's not the same kind of car as the S7 or the Enzo or the F1, and it's not fair to judge the car based on the same expectations. It's like complaining that the Cadillac CTS-V doesn't perform as well as the Z06. Having said that, the Veyron is a LOT faster around a track than you people give it credit for. And yes, it's a straight line MONSTER. "Only 1000hp? And that's not impressive because it uses FOUR TURBOS!" Sure, and there are so many THOUSAND HP QUAD TURBO V16 cars on the road, there's nothing special about this one.? :rolleyes:

Any car that can leave Jeremy? Clarkeson speechless is impressive for that fact alone.? :lol:

And I'm just ribbing you about your car, JYODER, I have no beef with you or your 350Z.? ?:mrcool:

I'm not saying that it's not fast or impressive but it's just a tool to make speed. It's the opposite of an Elise. An Elise is about a pure driving experience that's involving, and fun. The Veyron is about bragging rights. It was made to be the fastest production car ever built and it accomplishes that. The Veyron is an engineering marvel but won't be confused for a car that connects you with the road.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Nethead

Quote from: omicron on June 05, 2007, 10:13:54 AM
It would be? Do explain. I'm intrigued.

omicron:  OmiDude, Australia has huge engineering talent and every other Australian has a racing license--and knows how to use it, too!

Australia isn't burdened with the excessive regulation of every fart and tinkle that occurs within its borders--here, you have to fill out a three-part form just to cut one in a staff meeting.  If that gas happened to come out of a tailpipe, then there's testing and validation required by the EPA, the NHTSA, the PTA, the CIA, the UAW, the ATF, the VFW, the NFL, and the Daughters of the Confederacy before production is legal.

And speaking of Daughters :ohyeah:, what's the ration of women to men in Australia?  Decades ago, I heard that ratio was fantastic :tounge:--but everything seems to improve by the square of the distance away when a story gets told and re-told by horny young men. :lol:
So many stairs...so little time...

omicron

Quote from: Nethead on June 06, 2007, 10:37:57 AM
omicron: OmiDude, Australia has huge engineering talent and every other Australian has a racing license--and knows how to use it, too!

Australia isn't burdened with the excessive regulation of every fart and tinkle that occurs within its borders--here, you have to fill out a three-part form just to cut one in a staff meeting. If that gas happened to come out of a tailpipe, then there's testing and validation required by the EPA, the NHTSA, the PTA, the CIA, the UAW, the ATF, the VFW, the NFL, and the Daughters of the Confederacy before production is legal.

And speaking of Daughters :ohyeah:, what's the ration of women to men in Australia? Decades ago, I heard that ratio was fantastic :tounge:--but everything seems to improve by the square of the distance away when a story gets told and re-told by horny young men. :lol:

1.01 females for every male.

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on June 06, 2007, 11:07:17 AM
1.01 females for every male.
That's only 50.5% of the population.  That sucks.  In North America and Europe it's 52%.

omicron

Demographic statistics are fascinating!

*diverts course of thread*