Tint

Started by TheIntrepid, June 04, 2007, 09:25:42 AM

TheIntrepid

So my uncles gave me $500 for graduation, and it's going towards tint on both my cars; the Intrepid now, and the Camry a week after we get it.

I'm thinking of using "Tint King"

http://www.tintking.ca/

I'm a total newbie with this stuff, so how much would be too much, and what percentage should I get done?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

JYODER240

I'd just save the money.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

My dad wants me to get it done. It keeps it cooler during summer, and also doesn't attract attention to the aftermarket nav and the flashy looking stereo inside the car.

Champ

Check your local laws first:  http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

A lot of states are 50% all around as max dark.  I am in MN where 50% is darkest you can go, but I run 35% and I see a lot of people doing that, and have only heard of one person getting a ticket.  Don't get the stupid looking reflective chrome tint.

IMO 50% is pretty light and most people say they wish they would have gone darker.  35% is just right, where you get sufficient darkness but it isn't too dark at night to drive with (I would wager most tint you see is 35%).  Anything darker than that becomes hard to drive with at night (5%-20% is hard to see out of).

Know that if you go too dark for your state, you can get nailed.  From what I understand most LEO's don't care unless it's way too dark.  I roll my windows down as I am getting pulled over and they have never said anything about the tint.

Expect $200-$250 for an install.  The more windows you have the more expensive it will be.  Look for guarantees/warranties also.  Mine came with a lifetime free replacement if the tint gets screwed up.  So far no problems after a year+.

S204STi

I would say make sure that whatever you get comes with a lifetime warranty against fade.? Nothing worse than purple tint. :mask:

Champ, you mentioned the reflective tint...I have heard that the metallic tint is the best because it will never fade, since it does its job by reflecting light rather than absorbing it with a dark tinted dye...am I wrong?

Either way, my dealer will do 3M tinting for $172 (since I work there) and that comes with a lifetime warranty...just wondering about the metallic stuff.

Raghavan

RX300's had the refleective tint i think. It looks really wierd.

etypeJohn

Just buy the materials and do it yourself.  Save a bundle on labour.

S204STi

Quote from: etypeJohn on June 04, 2007, 10:42:42 AM
Just buy the materials and do it yourself.? Save a bundle on labour.

How hard is it to do?  I would be afraid of having bubbles or wrinkles in it.  I like DIY, but some stuff I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole.

Champ

I mostly don't like the way the reflective tint looks.  I'm sure it works just fine though.  I was mostly referring to the half chrome fade or colored chrome fade that I think looks really tacky.

For the extra $150-$170 I'd rather just pay some guys to install it while I wait with a lifetime warranty.  This job is tough to get right on your first go, and will take you quite some time to finally get it good, and it still most likely won't be as good as a pro shop would do (i.e. getting the perfect edge around all the windows, all bubbles out, etc).

Champ

Quote from: R-inge on June 04, 2007, 11:02:09 AM
How hard is it to do? I would be afraid of having bubbles or wrinkles in it. I like DIY, but some stuff I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole.
It's tough to do and get it to look good.  Doing the rear window would also be tough to get around the defroster, as the tint does not stick to the lines.

I know what you are saying about saving some cash and DIY, but the cost is trivial compared to what you get in return.

Eye of the Tiger

I can't recommending doing it yourself either without some practice.
All I have to say is, anyone charging $200+ for tint on a standard 4-door sedan is a ripping you off.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

etypeJohn

Quote from: R-inge on June 04, 2007, 11:02:09 AM
How hard is it to do?? I would be afraid of having bubbles or wrinkles in it.? I like DIY, but some stuff I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole.

Doesn't much matter really.  Its just going on a Camry and Insipid so it really doesn't matter how bad it looks. 

Just trolling here  guys.    :evildude:

TheIntrepid

I got a quote for $175 CAD w/ installation from Tint King on the Intrepid. He said since teh Camry is a smaller car it'd be about 150.

S204STi

Quote from: etypeJohn on June 04, 2007, 11:21:26 AM
Doesn't much matter really.? Its just going on a Camry and Insipid so it really doesn't matter how bad it looks.?

Just trolling here? guys.? ? :evildude:

hehe :lol:

Champ

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 04, 2007, 11:36:34 AM
I got a quote for $175 CAD w/ installation from Tint King on the Intrepid. He said since teh Camry is a smaller car it'd be about 150.
Pull the trigger.

Minpin

Hmm.. Seems my tint is only illegal by 5%. Gotta love lax laws here in Texas.  :rockon:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Champ on June 04, 2007, 11:51:37 AM
Pull the trigger.

I'll do it in 2 weeks, right after finals end. :rockon:

Champ

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 04, 2007, 12:18:56 PM
I'll do it in 2 weeks, right after finals end. :rockon:
It's worth it IMO, I haven't once been like: "Man I wish I didn't get this tint."  Not even close.

On the other hand, I thank sweet baby jesus everytime it's hot out and I get in the car. 

S204STi

Quote from: Champ on June 04, 2007, 01:01:03 PM
It's worth it IMO, I haven't once been like: "Man I wish I didn't get this tint."? Not even close.

On the other hand, I thank sweet baby jesus everytime it's hot out and I get in the car.?

Yep, the temperature is why I want to do it soon.  That, and keeping my leather and vinyl from cracking.

giant_mtb

Please please please don't try to do a tint job yourself.  From my experience, it always comes out like crap, even for people that are good at "stuff" like that. 

heelntoe

It's worth it IMO, I haven't once been like: "Man I wish I didn't get this tint."  Not even close.

On the other hand, I thank sweet baby jesus everytime it's hot out and I get in the car. 
i have. i had a reflective tint on my helmet visor and it was a real pain at night. i had to ride without the visor on or change the visor.

i do love the tint on my car though. the dealer installed 35% 3M tint for free because the delivery was delayed.
@heelntoe

Champ

Quote from: heelntoe on June 05, 2007, 12:30:44 PM
i have. i had a reflective tint on my helmet visor and it was a real pain at night. i had to ride without the visor on or change the visor.

i do love the tint on my car though. the dealer installed 35% 3M tint for free because the delivery was delayed.
Good thing I don't wear a motorcycle helmet in my car then huh  ;)

heelntoe

i did, once. to piss people off. :lol:
@heelntoe

S204STi

Quote from: heelntoe on June 05, 2007, 12:52:27 PM
i did, once. to piss people off. :lol:

Hehe, I'd love to do that sometime...just cruise through town with a racing/riding helmet on and see how many funny looks I get.

Raza

Well, other than when I get into in the morning, I find that cracking each window, popping up the sunroof, and then closing the sunroof shield takes a good 10-15 degrees off the interior.  And, I don't sacrifice nighttime visibility.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza  on June 06, 2007, 08:07:28 AM
Well, other than when I get into in the morning, I find that cracking each window, popping up the sunroof, and then closing the sunroof shield takes a good 10-15 degrees off the interior.  And, I don't sacrifice nighttime visibility.

Pardon my n00bness, but if I close the sunroof shield, doesn't it stop the air from coming in/going out? I generally vent my sunroof but don't open the windows much. Isn't it easier to break into a car with a coat hanger or something if the windows are cracked?

heelntoe

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 06, 2007, 09:00:06 AM
Pardon my n00bness, but if I close the sunroof shield, doesn't it stop the air from coming in/going out? I generally vent my sunroof but don't open the windows much. Isn't it easier to break into a car with a coat hanger or something if the windows are cracked?
the shield usually has vents in it the let the air in.
@heelntoe

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 06, 2007, 09:00:06 AM

On most newer cars the coat hanger trick doesn't work.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JYODER240 on June 07, 2007, 08:51:06 AM
On most newer cars the coat hanger trick doesn't work.

But the smashing a window trick still works fine  :ohyeah:  :mask:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Quote from: heelntoe on June 07, 2007, 08:27:09 AM
the shield usually has vents in it the let the air in.

If his sunroof shade is like mine, it doesn't.  I've noticed the german cars are good about that though.