The Official Mustang Thread

Started by SVT666, June 04, 2007, 10:07:09 AM

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on August 18, 2023, 07:45:26 AMOh my, what a big muffler you have there
At first glance, one might think that it's the gas tank.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

It seems like being all race car and stuff they would have shrunk the muffler and used the space for a functional rear diffuser
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on August 18, 2023, 07:45:26 AMOh my, what a big muffler you have there

That's how they got the 50/50 weight distribution
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on August 18, 2023, 05:44:43 PMIt seems like being all race car and stuff they would have shrunk the muffler and used the space for a functional rear diffuser

I've been around enough newer performance Mustang variants to be very grateful for a big muffler. Too many of them are ear-splitting when they nail the throttle. I think it was a GT350 that got kicked out of one of our autocross events for being over the sound limit.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 19, 2023, 11:06:06 AMI've been around enough newer performance Mustang variants to be very grateful for a big muffler. Too many of them are ear-splitting when they nail the throttle. I think it was a GT350 that got kicked out of one of our autocross events for being over the sound limit.

Stock? :lol:

CaminoRacer

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 19, 2023, 11:59:53 AMI think so. The dual mode exhausts are stupid.
They make sense if used under the right circumstances.  Presumably, the idea is that you get a little bit of extra bhp with the noisy mode.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

AutobahnSHO

Yeah if it doesn't increase performance I HATE loud exhaust. But even if it does boost HP I really really don't like to hear it at loud levels on the street.
Will

FoMoJo

What I don't get are cars that snap, crackle and pop when deaccelerating.  Subarus are the worst but I've seen/heard Mercedes (AMG) that do it as well.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 20, 2023, 11:37:33 AMWhat I don't get are cars that snap, crackle and pop when deaccelerating.  Subarus are the worst but I've seen/heard Mercedes (AMG) that do it as well.

My El Camino did that with my old exhaust system and carb. New carb and exhaust don't do it. (Helps that the exhaust is longer now, goes all the way to the back instead of dumping in front of the axle)

r0tor

My RX8 naturally does it... Outside of that all modern cars just program that into the tune for sportyness
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Subarus sound awful and Subaru drivers want to share that awfulness with the world.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on August 21, 2023, 03:18:24 PMSubarus sound awful and Subaru drivers want to share that awfulness with the world.
Four-wheel Harleys.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger