RWD Pontiac G6 in 2010

Started by SVT666, June 04, 2007, 10:15:08 AM

USA_Idol

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 04, 2007, 09:55:49 PM
Grand Am shoppers as a whole probably aren't going to be able to afford a Saab.

Who buys Grand Ams?  The last one was butt-ugly...especially the interior.   :confused:

Northlands

Quote from: USA_Idol on June 04, 2007, 09:57:18 PM
Who buys Grand Ams?  The last one was butt-ugly...especially the interior.   :confused:

On my 20 minute drive to work this morning, I must have driven by 30 Grand Ams. Looks be damned, people still buy them. Once they're used, they're pretty affordable.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

USA_Idol

I can't get past the interior of the Grand Am.  What were Pontiac designers drinking when they thought that up?   :partyon:

Raghavan

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 04, 2007, 09:55:49 PM
Grand Am shoppers as a whole probably aren't going to be able to afford a Saab.
I don't care. I don't want to be stuck with a FWD car just because some douchebags who don't know anything about cars want FWD.

mazda6er

Quote from: USA_Idol on June 04, 2007, 09:52:57 PM
Eh.   :huh:  Just kill off the Pontiac brand entirely.  Give Chevy a handful of affordable RWD performance cars to sell alongside their FWD cars.  With that plan, there would be no need for Pontiac.
Dude, they'd have like 40 models that way. I'd love to see Pontiac become the poor man's BMW as has been suggested in this thread. Not necessarily a great market move -- only time will tell on that count -- but I, personally, like the idea quite a bit.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

Quote from: Raghavan on June 05, 2007, 11:51:33 AM
I don't care. I don't want to be stuck with a FWD car just because some douchebags who don't know anything about cars want FWD.

You're not buying it anyway. Taking the advice of people who aren't in the market for the product is not a smart business move.

Raghavan

Quote from: ifcar on June 05, 2007, 12:06:06 PM
You're not buying it anyway. Taking the advice of people who aren't in the market for the product is not a smart business move.
If i were in the market for a 4 door family sedan (something most of us will have to buy at one point or the other), this would probably be it.

ifcar

But you're not right now, and your priorities are likely to change if you actually are.

Raghavan

USA_Idol

Quote from: mazda6er on June 05, 2007, 11:58:54 AM
Dude, they'd have like 40 models that way. I'd love to see Pontiac become the poor man's BMW as has been suggested in this thread. Not necessarily a great market move -- only time will tell on that count -- but I, personally, like the idea quite a bit.

Chevy is GM's volume brand, anyway.  A few more models won't hurt.   :lol:

Vinsanity

I agree. They already have the grille designs down to start copying BMW, so why not :praise:

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 05, 2007, 02:54:38 PM
I agree. They already have the grille designs down to start copying BMW, so why not :praise:

I believe it was BMW that copied the Pontiac Montana when designing the new grilles, Vinsan.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9471.msg470492#msg470492 date=1181077431
I believe it was BMW that copied the Pontiac Montana when designing the new grilles, Vinsan.

of course! how ludicrous of me not to acknowledge the striking and inspirational design of the Pontiac Montana :mask:

the Teuton

All of Subaru's designs are basically built of different variations of the same platform and they can sell affordable cars with AWD.  I can't see why Pontiac couldn't do the same save for one thing:  CAFE.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

goldenlover1101

I honestly think it is a great move. BMW is one of the great brands, and is idolized by all of the other automakers. If you can get 7/8ths of a BMW at 1/2 the price I think it would be a huge hits. That is what the G8 looks to be.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

JYODER240

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on June 05, 2007, 08:30:43 PM
I honestly think it is a great move. BMW is one of the great brands, and is idolized by all of the other automakers. If you can get 7/8ths of a BMW at 1/2 the price I think it would be a huge hits. That is what the G8 looks to be.

Yeah but the majority of the public doesn't want a BMW because of their performance they want one because it's a BMW.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

goldenlover1101

Quote from: JYODER240 on June 05, 2007, 09:09:40 PM

Yeah but the majority of the public doesn't want a BMW because of their performance they want one because it's a BMW.
True, but those who can't afford one will want the next best thing

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

JYODER240

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on June 05, 2007, 09:11:03 PM
True, but those who can't afford one will want the next best thing

The Pontiac badge isn't the next best thing.

the Teuton

When was the last time you saw a BMW with a stick that wasn't an ///M car or a sports car?  Think...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

JYODER240

Quote from: the Teuton on June 05, 2007, 09:21:40 PM
When was the last time you saw a BMW with a stick that wasn't an ///M car or a sports car?? Think...

Exactly.

When was the last time you saw a BMW with a stick that wasn't an ///M car or a sports car?? Think...

I see them all the time.  A big portion of the Bimmers I see are stick (I have a weird habit of looking in the windows of parked cars), more so than other cars in the class. 

SVT_Power

Quote from: 565 on June 05, 2007, 09:35:09 PM
I see them all the time.  A big portion of the Bimmers I see are stick (I have a weird habit of looking in the windows of parked cars), more so than other cars in the class. 

why look at most bimmers when you have a Z06 to look at  :huh:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

the Teuton

I did that, too, in Pittsburgh, and I saw more stick VWs than BMWs.

Quote from: M_power on June 05, 2007, 09:39:14 PM
why look at most bimmers when you have a Z06 to look at? :huh:

Haha I look inside alot of cars to see what kind of transmission they have or whether they have navi or not.  It's a weird habit that makes me look like a potential car thief.

Raza

I do the same thing.  Then I break in and steal shit.

Just kidding.  But not really. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

850CSi

Bingo!

850CSi

Like 4 times today.

:lol:

Actuallly, I see a fair amount.

LonghornTX

The vast majority of people that I have dealt with buy a BMW because of the performance image the brand has not just its luxory image.  So, while it may not actually be the cars true performance that wins them over, it most definately is the idea that their car is "sporty".

BTW, for those talking about sticks in BMW, ~15% of new BMWs are sold with manuals, one of the higher %s in the industry IIRC.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Raghavan

Quote from: 565 on June 05, 2007, 10:05:42 PM
Haha I look inside alot of cars to see what kind of transmission they have or whether they have navi or not.  It's a weird habit that makes me look like a potential car thief.
I do that to all the car i ride by on my bike too.

SJ_GTI

The guy in the office right next to me drives a 330xi with a 6-speed manual.  :huh:

There's a 5-series in the parking lot that is also a 6-speed (maybe a 5-speed actually, its an E39 not E60). I also see a manual 325ci, 9-5, TL, and B5 A4 in my parking lot, all with manuals. When I lived in Montreal, I would say a significant portion of BMW's were manual transmission, especially 3-series.