Pulsing Brakes

Started by giant_mtb, June 04, 2007, 03:54:51 PM

giant_mtb

Well, I had my rotors changed about two months ago and about a month ago I noticed my brakes pulsing.  Does this mean my rotors are warped?  Or does it mean something else that is fixable?  I'd really like to do something about it 'cause it really is annoying when I'm coming to a stop and it feels like...well...pulsing.

:huh:

JWC

Sounds like warped rotors to me.

giant_mtb

Quote from: JWC on June 04, 2007, 03:59:41 PM
Sounds like warped rotors to me.

Hmph.  That's what I figured, but I'm hoping that maybe there is some sort of unexplainable or extraordinary condition besides warping that has caused my brakes to pulse...and one that is fixable.

Dammit.  So, if I get my rotors replaced (again), should I even go OEM?  IIRC, it was relatively cheap (maybe 160-180 bucks) to get all the rotors replaced including labor and parts, but I don't really think my parents will be too happy about it.  Y'know, you'd think the brake shop would say "hey take it easy on 'em for a while to avoid warping"...but they didn't. 

MX793

It's common for rotors to warp due to the wheel lugs not being torqued properly (the brake shop is probably the culprit).  If this is the cause and the pulsing just started, you may be able to fix it.  Back the lugs off and torque them down again and, assuming the pulsing is relatively mild and just started happening, you might be able to get the rotors to straighten out again.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

heelntoe

....or it could be the ABS kicking in. not very likely, but a possiblity nevertheless.
@heelntoe

FoMoJo

After having my vehicle serviced, there was a very pronounced pulsing when I put the brakes on.  I thought at first that a rotor had warped due to the usual reason but after having the wheels off and retightened, the pulse was gone.  It seemed that what happened was some idiot in the service shop must've really cranked down on one of studs and distorted the rotor.  Having the studs tightened properly fixed the problem immediately.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

I'll third the idea of making sure the lugs are torqued correctly. A lot of these shops will just use impact wrenches to tighten your lugs. If I were you, whenever I had my vehicle serviced, specifically ask them to torque them correctly.

If that doesn't work, then you should invest in a set of after market rotors. If you install them yourself (it's really not that hard), then it shouldn't cost you too much at all. Check out PowerSlot rotors from TireRack.com.