Watch out M, AMG & RS: Kia to launch "XR" performance range!

Started by cawimmer430, June 05, 2007, 06:44:45 AM

cawimmer430

I've been waiting for this!!!!!

NOT!!!

The name XR sounds so generic, boring and cliche like. Yaaaaaawn...

Korean automaker Kia plans to roll out a new line of performance sedans and hatchbacks over the next three years under the "XR" badge, according to a new report from Britain's Autocar.

The company will offer a selection of up-rated engines, which could include naturally-aspirated, turbocharged, and supercharged mills.

Turbocharged engines would be aimed at European customers, while supercharged powerplants would be marketed to Americans, a source told the magazine.

Kia revealed a modified Cee'd hatchback during a press event at its headquarters earlier this month. Although company officials said the vehicle was merely a standard Cee'd with a styling kit, sources say the production XR models will be very similar. "XR" badging lends credibility to these rumors.

Source: Report: Kia to launch "XR" performance range
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

XR is currently a trim of both Toyota and Saturn products in the US. Don't object to the idea of a performance lineup though.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on June 05, 2007, 06:48:18 AM
XR is currently a trim of both Toyota and Saturn products in the US. Don't object to the idea of a performance lineup though.

It's just that Kia is not seen as a sporty brand. They don't even have a sporty car in their lineup. Before opening up a performance division, they should first get some credibility by creating something like a Hyundai Coupe competitor etc. IMO.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 05, 2007, 06:49:25 AM

It's just that Kia is not seen as a sporty brand. They don't even have a sporty car in their lineup. Before opening up a performance division, they should first get some credibility by creating something like a Hyundai Coupe competitor etc. IMO.

Kia is owned by Hyundai, they don't need to compete with the Coupe/Tiburon.

And I think supercharged engines is a great way to get some credibility.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on June 05, 2007, 06:50:39 AM
Kia is owned by Hyundai, they don't need to compete with the Coupe/Tiburon.

And I think supercharged engines is a great way to get some credibility.

Most people might not know that Kia is owned by Hyundai. They see them as just another alternative brand. Sporty cars are always good for any brand, Kia included.

This is a BOLD move though. I personally think Kia should test the market first with a "normal sports car" along the lines of a Hyundai Coupe...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on June 05, 2007, 06:58:15 AM
Along the lines of, yes, but not competing against.

Again, it doesn't need to compete against a Hyundai product, but it should be a two-door coupe that's sporty. The Hyundai Coupe did a lot for Hyundai in terms of image. People who would otherwise have gone to Toyota to buy a Celica etc. saw another alternative at Hyundai. Kia needs the same thing: even if it indirectly rivals the Hyundai Coupe.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

You said "they should first get some credibility by creating something like a Hyundai Coupe competitor".

That's all I was responding to.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on June 05, 2007, 07:02:31 AM
You said "they should first get some credibility by creating something like a Hyundai Coupe competitor".

That's all I was responding to.

And with that I meant that it should be a car that is in concept and style similar to what Hyundai did with the coupe. A sporty Kia can help attract value-oriented enthusiasts. Right now, I can't picture Kia being the car of choice for young and sporty people. A sporty car in the lineup can slowly change that.

www.wimmerfotografie.de