We finally got some 08 Altima coupes in today!

Started by Zcarnut, June 11, 2007, 03:50:05 PM

The Pirate

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 14, 2007, 05:37:19 PM
QFT. Unless it's a G35 coupe (not the G37)... it's so sexy.

Yeah, I'd have to make an exception for the G35 coupe for the exact same reason.  Damn, you're already blowing holes in my theory!  :rage: :lol:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

FordSVT

Quote from: ifcar on June 14, 2007, 01:56:01 PM
But there's no automatic disadvantage to having a practicality that you don't use. There is a disadvantage to not having a practicality that you use 1% of the time.

Why isn't just liking the look of the coupe more than the sedan enough? It should be.
-FordSVT-

ifcar

Quote from: FordSVT on June 15, 2007, 06:01:08 AM
Why isn't just liking the look of the coupe more than the sedan enough? It should be.
-FordSVT-

Not everyone sees the coupe appearance as an advantage. Yes, that's why people buy them, but there's rarely another reason. (Accord V6 manual being coupe-only for a few years would be a notable exception.)

Zcarnut

I prefer a 2 door myself.I miss the old 4 Runners and pathfinders with 2 doors!
Im not a Altima coupe intender though.
I also want RWD in my diet. But most people could care less about that nowdays.
The car look good in 2 door? Cool! Do you use the backseat ever or rarely? If not,might as well get the 2 door I say.
This car has a shorter wheelbase than the sedan too,so maybe it feels a little better dynamically?
Nissan is not going to sell near the number of these as its sedan cousin.Camry and Accord sedans dwarf the sales of their 2 door counterparts.
I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).

omicron

Quote from: ChrisV on June 14, 2007, 07:39:18 AM
And most of the time there's no point in 4 doors for the average driver. hell, I only use the rear of the BMW on occasion. I'd LOVE there to have been a coupe version...

Oh.....my goodness. That's marvellous. I'd have one of those in a heartbeat, if I knew a decent panelbeater willing to work for $10. ;)

Raghavan

Quote from: ifcar on June 15, 2007, 06:15:21 AM
Not everyone sees the coupe appearance as an advantage. Yes, that's why people buy them, but there's rarely another reason. (Accord V6 manual being coupe-only for a few years would be a notable exception.)
I'm pretty sure that the Accord V6 never came with a manual till the current generation.
I'd usually have a coupe, but some cars i like as sedans, like the 3 series.

ifcar

Quote from: Raghavan on June 15, 2007, 10:46:04 AM
I'm pretty sure that the Accord V6 never came with a manual till the current generation.

What I was saying was that from 2003 to 2005, the only V6 manual Accord was the coupe.

afty

Quote from: The Pirate on June 14, 2007, 05:30:44 PM
Call me old and grumpy beyond my years, but I generally prefer 4 doors, especially in a car like the Altima or Accord, where there isn't much difference mechanically.  If the coupe had a better suspension, or a higher hp engine, I'd be more likely to consider.  Otherwise, 4 door for me.  It's just much easier to load/unload all my gear.

Well, the Altima coupe is a good bit smaller (4 inches less wheelbase, 7 inches shorter overall) than the sedan, so there's the potential for less weight and better handling.  But apparently Nissan tuned it as a cruiser.

Zcarnut

Consider the market.I dont want to call it a "chick car",but women (especially in their 30's and 40's) seem to like coupes in this class.
The 240sx was popular with the ladies too (when they were new).
Im sure Nissan will make a SE-R version if you want a little more sport.
I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).

FordSVT

Quote from: ifcar on June 15, 2007, 06:15:21 AM

Anyone who'd buy a coupe obviously WOULD concider it an advantage, otherwise they'd buy something else, yes? And that's my point: if someone wants to buy a coupe because they prefer the styling over the sedan and don't care about the "disadvantage" of not having four-doors, that's all the reason they need. People buy cars and trucks primarily because of looks and style all the time, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Is it impractical for a couple with 6 and 12 year old kids to buy a 2 door coupe as an only car? Sure! But what about if it's a second car to their SUV? Or what about a 50 year old couple with no kids at all?

ifcar

Does saying that people who buy midsize coupes midsize coupes add anything? :huh:

Onslaught

I don't give a crap if it's an inconvenience for kids or friends to crawl in the back of a coupe. I'm driving so it's always easy for me! And to me the 2 doors almost always look better than the 4 door versions of most cars. Same performance and better looks too. Sounds like a win win to me. The only bad thing about the coupe models is they are always more of a pain in the ass to work on. But drivers dont' have to worry about that.

FordSVT

Quote from: ifcar on June 15, 2007, 04:18:15 PM
Does saying that people who buy midsize coupes midsize coupes add anything? :huh:

Look, someone asked why anyone would want a sedan based coupe, I replied that style had a lot to do with it (among other things). You said "Not everyone sees the coupe appearance as an advantage". What was your point adding, ifcar? Anyone who didn't see the coupe's appearance as an advantage wouldn't buy the coupe, they'd buy the friggin' sedan!

Honestly, I'm not sure what point you're trying to argue here. I bought my Mustang because it's fast and it has style and I like two-door cars. Period. Don't need another reason. If I didn't like the Mustang's style and I was hung up on the "impracticality" of two doors, I would have bought a sedan. Period. Arguing that style isn't a reason for anyone to buy a two door car because some people don't like the coupe style and prefer a practical four door is idiotic. As far as I can tell, that's what you're saying.

ifcar

Originally, someone mentioned they didn't see the point of a midsize coupe. I said that the only point is that some people really seem to like them, for whatever reason, despite the disadvantage in practicality and insurance costs. That's all.