Dad's New Ride... Impressions.

Started by TheIntrepid, June 12, 2007, 03:01:46 PM

TheIntrepid

So my dad's company is doing a deal with some vendors of pharmaceutical products, and they're obviously wanting the account, so the executives are being bribed with a bunch of new stuff. New cell phones, Blackberrys, Palm pilots, laptops, and the like. One vendor, however, gave us something even better,

a 2007 BMW 323i.

Basically, we have the car until my dad and his colleagues decide whether or not to give this company their account.

It's not a brand new car; it has about 5800mi (9400km) on it. I've been driving it around today, and it's a wonderful car. It feels a bit slow, but at 140km/h, it is serene quiet, and a very smooth car to drive. The brakes are really touchy; Farris have you noticed this? I found the steering to be really heavy too, but it's really a dream to drive.

It doesn't have the automatic climate control, or power seats, but the auto up/down feature on all the windows is nice to have. The BMW leatherette is nice quality, and I do like the convenient location of the cupholders. The back seat is a little tight, but the driving dynamics are so good, we can live with it. It also has heated seats.

It's an automatic, sorry guys. The manumatic is a little annoying, but it's a nice thing to have. I only drove it in auto mode today because I was playing around with everything else.

I was disappointed with the car's straight-line acceleration. I did enjoy taking freeway onramps at 100km/h, which I've never done before. Body roll is minimal.

Stereo = crap. I like the BMW diagnostic or whatever it is where you can change all the trip computer things through the stereo though, but the sound quality is nothing to write home about.

The A/C sucks. I drove it for about 50km today and it NEVER cooled up. I had to keep the A/C blowing on full power. I had the temperature knob all the way in the blue, and the fan on high. Yes, I also had the A/C button pressed.

Overall, 9/10 machine.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Eye of the Tiger

Wow, what a POS. AC is broke and it idles at 5100rpm.  :P
So you likey a car that handles not bad? You can't seriously be disappointed with its acceleration, though. It's only a 2.5L with 174hp, what do you expect? It's not like it has a H.O. Intrepid motor.  :devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TheIntrepid

I was revving it. It clearly doesn't idle at 5100rpm. The funniest thing was that I couldn't find the starter button because I was so excited. The wiper stalk blocked my view :rage:

sandertheshark

SVT_Power

isn't this the only bimmer raza wanted. trep you better watch out for brown guys with shovels
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

if it had a 6spd MANual, I would totally rock that car
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SaltyDog

So you have a temporary car on your hands that belongs to some company you don't know or care about?  You know what that means: drive the piss out of it :pee:

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Colonel Cadillac

You get to skip the break-in too! Nice ride trep.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: SaltyDog on June 12, 2007, 03:30:11 PM
So you have a temporary car on your hands that belongs to some company you don't know or care about?  You know what that means: drive the piss out of it :pee:

DUH

And Eddie...it's for haters or anyone doubting that I have the car.

IrishGuy

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 12, 2007, 03:34:45 PM
DUH

And Eddie...it's for haters or anyone doubting that my dad has the car.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

TheIntrepid

IrishGuy

TheIntrepid

TheIntrepid

You guys are going to kick my ass when I tell you who the previous owner was, and how the firm got it to give to executives so cheap.

IrishGuy

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 12, 2007, 03:48:50 PM
You guys are going to kick my ass when I tell you who the previous owner was, and how the firm got it to give to executives so cheap.

I'm pretty sure it's nobody too exciting or not the truth seeing it's a 323.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: IrishGuy on June 12, 2007, 03:51:52 PM
I'm pretty sure it's nobody too exciting or not the truth seeing it's a 323.

Enterprise.  :lol:

850CSi

Looks like a low-end version.

Touchy brakes? What exactly do you mean? Worst thing about the brakes is the ridiculous amount of brake dust that BMW's pads leave on the rims.  :banghead:

Heavy steering? You've obviously never driven an E39 or E46.  :lol: It's something you get used to, I don't like light steering.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 850CSi on June 12, 2007, 04:11:49 PM
Looks like a low-end version.

Touchy brakes? What exactly do you mean? Worst thing about the brakes is the ridiculous amount of brake dust that BMW's pads leave on the rims.  :banghead:

Heavy steering? You've obviously never driven an E39 or E46.  :lol: It's something you get used to, I don't like light steering.

It's the bottom-end version. It has cruise control, though!!!

Touchy brakes as in they're VERY VERY VERY sensitive.

850CSi

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 12, 2007, 04:15:13 PM

Hmm... I like the X3's brake feel a little more than my car's (I like the X3's a lot), but it's not like what you're describing. My pads are nearly worn out, though.

Best cruise control ever.

Colonel Cadillac

Yeah, I've driven a 530xiT, and it had really touchy brakes. They were fantastic, though. Now if my mom would give up her desire for a damn hybrid so we could get a 535xiT, I would be able to get used to the touchy brakes!

ro51092

TREP. My respect for you just went up a whole lot. Congratulations. You now own of the best cars on CarSPIN.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ro51092 on June 12, 2007, 04:56:01 PM
TREP. My respect for you just went up a whole lot. Congratulations. You now own of the best cars on CarSPIN.

I doubt the last part, and I don't own it, but thanks!

I'm driving it around for now anyway. Poor Treppy probably feels so inferior.

ro51092

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 12, 2007, 05:21:27 PM
I doubt the last part, and I don't own it, but thanks!

I'm driving it around for now anyway. Poor Treppy probably feels so inferior.

Okay, tell me who's better.

I can think of:
1. Raza
2. Lebowski
3. Farris

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ro51092 on June 12, 2007, 05:23:26 PM

I can think of:
1. Raza
2. Lebowski
3. Farris

Wimmer's E320... NomisR's Elise.

Dazzle's 530i, your A4, Ron's A4

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: ro51092 on June 12, 2007, 05:23:26 PM

I can think of:
1.Raza NomisR
2. Lebowski etypejohn
3. Farris Raza

ro51092

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on June 12, 2007, 05:28:42 PM

Oooh, I forgot about the Elise. Okay, that gets 1st place. I'd take the 987 over the E-Type (no offense). I also think I'd take a C6 over it too.

Submariner

Quote from: M_power on June 12, 2007, 03:29:01 PM
but wtf is this? :wtf:

In case no one believed that it was his car.

But I can't imagine why anyone would do that...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quote from: M_power on June 12, 2007, 03:16:21 PM
isn't this the only bimmer raza wanted. trep you better watch out for brown guys with shovels

It's an automatic.  He can keep it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 12, 2007, 04:15:13 PM

That seems to be the new norm for luxury cars.  God forbid pedals give you some feedback and some natural progression. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.