Thinking about selling the 7...thinking

Started by Submariner, June 12, 2007, 06:01:51 PM

Submariner

As some of you may or may not know, I've always loved beg Jaguar saloons.? Something about them is just so appealing to me, and they're very British demeanor is, again, attractive.

A few weeks back, my dad started to look at a Used XJ portfolio V8 to replace the tank of a 7 series he sold.? Although he found the interior to be not quite up to par to the 7, in terms of detail at least, he and I both found the driving dynamics to be phenominal.? Everything about the way this car drove gave you the impression the engeneers were drivers, not those who liked to be driven.? Yet despite its sporting intentions, it's the kind of car you could pick up clients at the airport with, and waft them to a meeting 200 miles away in perfect comfort.

He ended up going with an E-63, but that didn't stop my love for the XJ.? I decided to look on the used market for some early model XJ's and was shocked to see the pricing.? Low miliage examples go for as little as 30k, with expensive models toppin g out in the low 40's.? I stopped by the local dealer in Hartford and was stricken by a vanden plas they had.? It was White on beige, with 19' in 5 spoke wheels and a mesh grille from the XJR.?

That's not the car, but it gives you a good idea of what it looks like.

The price is very low, and the car is so so hot.? But to tell you the truth I don't know if I can do it.? I love my 7 so much, and the XJ isn't a complete knockout.? The XJ, while for the most part assembled with good materials, is lacking in some areas, and I prefer the "German" feel to the semi-English feel crafted by Ford.? But to tell you the truth, the XJ is more of a drivers car than the 7.? Driving is an absolute pleasure in this vehicle.? The only gripe I have with the drive is the lack of any manumatic function.? Thats it.?

What do you people think?? Should I sell or not?

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

JYODER240

Why are you looking for such a large car? What not something smaller and sportier?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

DO IT!!! The XJ is an absolute BADASS vehicle. :rockon:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Submariner

Quote from: JYODER240 on June 12, 2007, 06:05:22 PM
Why are you looking for such a large car? What not something smaller and sportier?

I'm a sucker for Large saloons.  Sorry, I just am.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Your dad has an E63 AMG and I'm just finding out about this now!?

Your 740i is a good car.  I would not get rid of it for a VDP.  Jag used values drop like smooth stones, which is great.  You can get an older 6 cylinder XJR for just over 10 grand or so.

If there's a VDP at this price, there's an XJR.  Go for that.  Or, if you want smaller, get a last generation XJR.  It'll probably go for half the price.  I wish I could find a decent Jag with a stick, since it would easily fit into my price range.  Alas, they don't seem to exist. 

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=220458341&dealer_id=5758095&car_year=2002&model=JAGXJR&num_records=25&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=0&make=JAG&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=18966&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=30000&cardist=939

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

red_shift

Sub,

I am in the same boat. Looking for a lightly used XJ or XJR. After looking at the specs, I will probably stick with XJ base because it weighs in at a light 3700+ lbs. Vanden Plas, I believe is 3900 lbs or so, could be wrong by a few pounds. My aim is to tool around in a comfortable, plush, yet sporty and light big sedan.

Good luck!  :ohyeah:

Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

The Pirate

I love both, but I'd probably keep the 7.  You know it's history, and it's a great car as well.

FYI, I'd kill to be in your situation.  Let's see, do I want to keep my 7 series, or get an XJ.   :rastaman:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ro51092

I'd keep the 7. Even if I were to decide between both from the start, I'd always take the E38.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on June 12, 2007, 06:14:52 PM

Your 740i is a good car.  I would not get rid of it for a VDP.  Jag used values drop like smooth stones, which is great.  You can get an older 6 cylinder XJR for just over 10 grand or so.

If there's a VDP at this price, there's an XJR.  Go for that.  Or, if you want smaller, get a last generation XJR.  It'll probably go for half the price.  I wish I could find a decent Jag with a stick, since it would easily fit into my price range.  Alas, they don't seem to exist. 

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=220458341&dealer_id=5758095&car_year=2002&model=JAGXJR&num_records=25&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=0&make=JAG&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=18966&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=30000&cardist=939

Not yet.

Its got the 030 performance and Premium packages.  Wheather I can convinve him to send it to Renntech for a 555 HP upgrade is the bigger question.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on June 12, 2007, 06:14:52 PM

Well, thats the point.  The price has droped to a phenominally low rate.  I'm not too too worried about further depreciation. 

the Teuton

Jaguars depreciate like Vietnamese prostitutes after the age of 15.  Lovely cars, horrible investment.  Stick with the Bimmer.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

850CSi

I love the XJ and I'm trying to push my dad towards one, but I'd stick with the 7.

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

cawimmer430

Very nice. After the A8 and S-Class, the XJ is my third choice in this class.

That white one looks great, but I'd change the rims. Perhaps add the rims from the XJR to make it look even sportier while still retaining some class.

What about a W124 500E?
  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on June 12, 2007, 10:10:36 PM
Jaguars depreciate like Vietnamese prostitutes after the age of 15.  Lovely cars, horrible investment.  Stick with the Bimmer.

Why would you call it an investment? 

I always look at depreciation when buying a new car, but with a used car, high depreciation is great.  Whenever I see a car that has low depreciation (look at the E46 3 series and the Honda Civic), it doesn't make sense to buy used, when buying new costs only a little more.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on June 12, 2007, 09:18:44 PM
Not yet.

Its got the 030 performance and Premium packages.  Wheather I can convinve him to send it to Renntech for a 555 HP upgrade is the bigger question.

Forget about the 555bhp package.  RennTech is not really known for its reliability...

How are last generation S8s looking?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Payman

How about a Phaeton?

They are essentially A8's at a much lower price. I just checked autotrader.com, and the V8 is running between 30-45K, while the W12 averages 50-65K.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on June 13, 2007, 04:19:20 AM
Forget about the 555bhp package.  RennTech is not really known for its reliability...

How are last generation S8s looking?

Then perhaps he should leave it stock?

I looked at last generation A8's, another sedan I love, but for me the Jag just fits the bill perfectly, and in most cases, have lower miles on them, and are cheaper.  A win win for me.

Submariner

Quote from: Payman on June 13, 2007, 05:47:53 AM
How about a Phaeton?

They are essentially A8's at a much lower price. I just checked autotrader.com, and the V8 is running between 30-45K, while the W12 averages 50-65K.

Phaetons are fine luxury cars, but are totally uninvolving to drive, and I'm not too fond of they way they look either.  Besides, the ones in my area seem to be outta my price point.   

Payman

I would consider one based on the interior alone:

:wub:

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on June 13, 2007, 05:52:38 AM
Then perhaps he should leave it stock?

I looked at last generation A8's, another sedan I love, but for me the Jag just fits the bill perfectly, and in most cases, have lower miles on them, and are cheaper.? A win win for me.

If he really wants, I know a great guy who modifies AMGs exclusively.  The only problem is that it's a 1 man operation, essentially, so you'd need to hand the car off to me for about 3-6 months until he'd be able to get it back to you.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: the Teuton on June 12, 2007, 10:10:36 PM

Turst me, I bought a $75k BMW E38 for $7500. They drop their value faster than Jags, even.

Dude, I've had a couple older XJs, pre-Ford. They were comfortable cars, but not drivers cars like the E38, especially the sport package like yours. The Vanden Plas is definitely not as much of a driver's car, but sooo lovely.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

TBR

the post-Ford Jaguars are far different than the older ones, especially the newest XJs and XKs.

ChrisV

Quote from: TBR on June 13, 2007, 10:29:34 AM
the post-Ford Jaguars are far different than the older ones, especially the newest XJs and XKs.

I know, I've driven an XJ8 and XJR, which was the closest to the E38 I was looking at, as far as driver's cars are concerned, but they were quite a bit more money for the same year car, even though they were similar in cost, new. The Vanden Plas is the luxury version, not the sporty version, and as such, is much more isolated from the road and driving process than the E38 7 series, IMO.

SJ_GTI

Is this the aluminum bodied Jag?

I would go for the Jag! Beautiful cars IMHO.

red_shift

Quote from: ChrisV on June 13, 2007, 10:47:21 AM
I know, I've driven an XJ8 and XJR, which was the closest to the E38 I was looking at, as far as driver's cars are concerned, but they were quite a bit more money for the same year car, even though they were similar in cost, new. The Vanden Plas is the luxury version, not the sporty version, and as such, is much more isolated from the road and driving process than the E38 7 series, IMO.

So you have driven the Aluminum bodied XJ? And you feel E38 is more of a driver's car?
Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

ChrisV

Quote from: red_shift on June 13, 2007, 11:56:13 AM
So you have driven the Aluminum bodied XJ? And you feel E38 is more of a driver's car?

His E38 is the Sport version, with the better suspension and wheel/tire package. I'd take it over my 7. But yeah, I like the feel even of my older E38 better than the Vanden Plas would give. I think it "feels" smaller and more responsive. I'm sure the Portfolio is a great driver's car, too, and I'd love to have one. But in his price range, he's not really moving up in road feel or steering feel, to me. OTOH, the Jag is much more luxurious with a GREAT interior. And it'll have a better ride than his or my 7.