This is why when you see emergency lights, move the @#$% over!

Started by hounddog, June 14, 2007, 01:27:42 PM

hounddog

When I worked on the freeway I had several close calls over the years.? ?I think most cops have experience this.? I even had one occasion where my partner probably saved my life by pulling me against the side of a tractor trailer as I stepped down off the cab.
For heaven's sake, when you see flashing lights in front of you, move the hell over and slow down.? Most of these guys have families that want them home the same as yours.?

In my opinion, it should be a $2000 fine to fail to move over for flashing lights.? Why so high?? Because peoples lives and safety depend on it.? Michigan has a pretty tough law where you can actually be arrested if the officer sees fit for your failure to comply with the "move over law."? It is a misdemeanor, but the penalties and fines are much too weak.? Put a larger fine on it, issue a bunch of tickets in a short time, get press coverage for it, and the problem is nearly solved.? ? Perhaps make the killing of a roadside emergency worker a Life offense felony as well?

This video shows why our job can be very dangerous;
http://www.wyff4.com/video/13500156/index.html

Ok, now that I am done with this rant, we are headed off to wreak havoc.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Ron From Regina

Quote from: hounddog on June 14, 2007, 01:27:42 PM
When I worked on the freeway I had several close calls over the years.? ?I think most cops have experience this.? I even had one occasion where my partner probably saved my life by pulling me against the side of a tractor trailer as I stepped down off the cab.
For heaven's sake, when you see flashing lights in front of you, move the hell over and slow down.? Most of these guys have families that want them home the same as yours.?

In my opinion, it should be a $2000 fine to fail to move over for flashing lights.? Why so high?? Because peoples lives and safety depend on it.? Michigan has a pretty tough law where you can actually be arrested if the officer sees fit for your failure to comply with the "move over law."? It is a misdemeanor, but the penalties and fines are much too weak.? Put a larger fine on it, issue a bunch of tickets in a short time, get press coverage for it, and the problem is nearly solved.? ? Perhaps make the killing of a roadside emergency worker a Life offense felony as well?

This video shows why our job can be very dangerous;
http://www.wyff4.com/video/13500156/index.html

Ok, now that I am done with this rant, we are headed off to wreak havoc.

We have simular laws here. You have to slow to 60kph and move over 1 lane. I've seen the RCMP traffic guys work tag team, where one guy pulls someone over, then the 2nd waits to catch someone for not moving over / slowing down while the first is writing the ticket.... then the first guy will catch somone passing the 2nd guy, and so on.

NomisR

Not much of a problem here.. if there's flashing lights, the traffic usually slow to a halt because of the rubber neckers.. you'll never get speeding traffic this way since assholes would slam on their brakes so they can get a better look..

Same assholes would slow down to 20 below speed limit to read those amber alert signs too...

Tave

When I was in Pheonix I was amazed at the number of people who wouldn't pull over to allow ambulances or firetrucks to pass. The problem was even mentioned on local area news broadcasts, but since so many motorists were contributing to the obstruction there really wasn't anything the police could do; emergency vehicles simply had to make the best of it.

Seriously, are you doing something so important that another's life takes second place?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Pancor

If someone is pulled over on the side a freeway (truck, car, whatever...)  I'll move left if I am able to.   That being said, what kind of idiot stands on a freeway without checking for oncoming cars?     

JWC

Quote from: Pancor on June 14, 2007, 03:59:30 PM
If someone is pulled over on the side a freeway (truck, car, whatever...)  I'll move left if I am able to.   That being said, what kind of idiot stands on a freeway without checking for oncoming cars?     

Probably the same idiot that is preoccupied with looking at the driver he pulled over for a gun or knife.

Soup DeVille

Yes, because most people were intent on striking the officer, weren't they?

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

The Pirate

I always move over whenever possible.  On the rare times I can't (left lane clogged), I'll slow down, and get as far to the outside of my lane as I can.  If the LEO is looking at me, I'll wave or signal, to let him know that I see him.

Hounddog, I understand your rant, but you might be preaching to the choir here.  I think most car enthusiasts are a bit more likely to pay attention to the road than the rest of the dolts out there.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ifcar

Today, I was watching people *passing* an ambulance with its flashing lights on. They were even signaling.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on June 14, 2007, 07:14:53 PM
Today, I was watching people *passing* an ambulance with its flashing lights on. They were even signaling.

Those Marylanders are an odd folk.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

hounddog

Quote from: The Pirate on June 14, 2007, 05:39:32 PM
I always move over whenever possible.? On the rare times I can't (left lane clogged), I'll slow down, and get as far to the outside of my lane as I can.? If the LEO is looking at me, I'll wave or signal, to let him know that I see him.

Hounddog, I understand your rant, but you might be preaching to the choir here.? I think most car enthusiasts are a bit more likely to pay attention to the road than the rest of the dolts out there.
Nothing personal, but; so you are going to tell me that no one here is ever guilty of not moving over?  I do believe that the majority are far more aware than the average driver, however, everyone has lapses.  But, I do think you are right as a rule here.  I was just pissed when I saw that video.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Eye of the Tiger

I move over as a courtesy whenever I can, but I never realized there was a law that said you had to move into the left lane if there was a police car on the shoulder.   :confused:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

IMO, in many cases, it's not possible (or at least safe) to move over.

About five years ago the Washington State Patrol instituted two rules regarding this issue:

1.) Officers approach the passenger's side of the vehicle;

2.) Cruiser is angled at about 30 degrees to deflect a collision.

hounddog

Quote from: GoCougs on June 14, 2007, 09:26:35 PM
IMO, in many cases, it's not possible (or at least safe) to move over.

About five years ago the Washington State Patrol instituted two rules regarding this issue:

1.) Officers approach the passenger's side of the vehicle;

2.) Cruiser is angled at about 30 degrees to deflect a collision.
Actually, officers have been killed walking between the cars.  I do not know his name, but a young state trooper was killed by PawPaw, Mi walking to the passenger side window when his car was hit from behind.  And, the MSP has information that shows officers are at greater risk by turning their car at an angle.  It does not deflect the encroaching car, it deflects the parked car.  Parking the police car offset the stopped car halfway to the left is going to provide the officer with the greatest protection.  The Washington State Patrol needs to re-evaluate their policies.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

L. ed foote

Quote from: hounddog on June 14, 2007, 09:19:57 PM
Nothing personal, but; so you are going to tell me that no one here is ever guilty of not moving over? 

I'm guilty of not moving over, but whenever possible I slow down when passing a stopped cruiser.  I try to move over whenever possible.
Member, Self Preservation Society

Champ

From what I'm told by my State Patrol friends here in MN, it's either move left or slow down to 30 or 35, can't remember.  But there is that clause in there that says if you can't move over, you have to slow way down.

Tave

Quote from: hounddog on June 14, 2007, 09:33:08 PM
Actually, officers have been killed walking between the cars.? I do not know his name, but a young state trooper was killed by PawPaw, Mi walking to the passenger side window when his car was hit from behind.? And, the MSP has information that shows officers are at greater risk by turning their car at an angle.? It does not deflect the encroaching car, it deflects the parked car.? Parking the police car offset the stopped car halfway to the left is going to provide the officer with the greatest protection.? The Washington State Patrol needs to re-evaluate their policies.

I know what that feels like. I believe I mentioned this briefly before, but I was getting buzzed by passing motorists one week at work as we were running level loops. The work was for future road improvements, so we had signs, lights, and vests out. Didn't change a thing. I remember once in particular a car flew by me with 6" to spare @ 65. We called the HP after that and he helped us out. :rockon:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TurboDan

I always move to the left lane, as long as it's safe to do so.  If not, I'll slow down and give him as much room as possible.  In NJ, NJSP does both the passenger-side approach as well as the "angle" if the shoulder is small.

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on June 15, 2007, 03:18:19 PM
I always move to the left lane, as long as it's safe to do so.? If not, I'll slow down and give him as much room as possible.? In NJ, NJSP does both the passenger-side approach as well as the "angle" if the shoulder is small.

^^^^
Connecticut uses the passenger side approach also, at least on the highway.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raza

On a semi-related note, why are ambulances so big and bulky?  Cops get to spend loads of money on pursuit car and shit like that, but the ambulance design hasn't changed in 900 years.  If someone's life does indeed depend on the ability to drive someone to a hospital quickly, shouldn't these things be built better?  I think you could build something that would be quicker and less top heavy and safer to drive faster. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on June 16, 2007, 02:51:13 PM
On a semi-related note, why are ambulances so big and bulky?  Cops get to spend loads of money on pursuit car and shit like that, but the ambulance design hasn't changed in 900 years.  If someone's life does indeed depend on the ability to drive someone to a hospital quickly, shouldn't these things be built better?  I think you could build something that would be quicker and less top heavy and safer to drive faster. 

Because there has to be room to give primary treatment on the way to the hospital?

There's a reason they don't just put the stretcher in the back of a station wagon.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on June 16, 2007, 03:08:43 PM
Because there has to be room to give primary treatment on the way to the hospital?

There's a reason they don't just put the stretcher in the back of a station wagon.

But I'm asking if there isn't a better way to package it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on June 16, 2007, 04:00:32 PM

There needs to be room for attendants to move freely around a stretcher, plus have necessary equipment. Ambulances are basically redesigned box trucks, and a box is as space-efficient as you're going to get.

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9641.msg480341#msg480341 date=1182027073
On a semi-related note, why are ambulances so big and bulky?? Cops get to spend loads of money on pursuit car and shit like that, but the ambulance design hasn't changed in 900 years.? If someone's life does indeed depend on the ability to drive someone to a hospital quickly, shouldn't these things be built better?? I think you could build something that would be quicker and less top heavy and safer to drive faster.?

:rolleyes:

Catman

Look at the douche they stopped.  Could they stop any closer to the fog line?  There's eight friggin feet on the right side of the car!!!!  I hate that shit.  Personally, in that situation, I yell for them to pull to the right and if they don't listen I go to the passenger side, reach in the window and smash their head with my baton.   :P

TurboDan

Quote from: Catman on June 16, 2007, 06:37:19 PM
Look at the douche they stopped.  Could they stop any closer to the fog line?  There's eight friggin feet on the right side of the car!!!!  I hate that shit.  Personally, in that situation, I yell for them to pull to the right and if they don't listen I go to the passenger side, reach in the window and smash their head with my baton.   :P

I think you should shoot them.  But, I guess that would be more paper work.

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on June 16, 2007, 04:00:32 PM

Around here, they're starting to use the Mercedes (err, oops, "Dodge") Sprinter ambulances.  Those things look like a wind could topple them over they're so top-heavy.  But I guess they've been proven in the European market...

Lebowski

Look at the douche they stopped.? Could they stop any closer to the fog line?? There's eight friggin feet on the right side of the car!!!!? I hate that shit.? Personally, in that situation, I yell for them to pull to the right and if they don't listen I go to the passenger side, reach in the window and smash their head with my baton.? ?:P

I was thinkin the same thing - the guy who pulled over didn't leave him any room, that's the real cause of it.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza  on June 16, 2007, 02:51:13 PM

i fucking nearly hit the side of an ambulance last night. Driving on this rural piece of 2 lane road. I'm driving along and i approach a curve. I'm definitely in my lane and the fucking ambulance going the other way has its inside tires on the middle yellow line (can't remember what its called at the moment for some reason). So the fat side part of the thing is clearly on my side of the road and i was well on my way to hitting the side of the damn thing. I jump on the breaks and put my car half on the grass. Fucking ambulance.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

dazzleman

Look at the douche they stopped.? Could they stop any closer to the fog line?? There's eight friggin feet on the right side of the car!!!!? I hate that shit.? Personally, in that situation, I yell for them to pull to the right and if they don't listen I go to the passenger side, reach in the window and smash their head with my baton.? ?:P

What about people who pull over on the left median?  I've always heard that's a cardinal sin.

The best thing to do is pull over as far to the right as possible, leaving a little bit of room if there's a guardrail for the officer to approach on the passenger's side.

On the highway in CT, the state police approach from the passenger's side, which I think is a good idea.   On more local streets with a lower volume of traffic and lower speeds, they'll come to the driver's side.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!