Friend's Car for Sale!

Started by TheIntrepid, June 14, 2007, 06:55:01 PM

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on June 14, 2007, 08:18:28 PM
The more tread you have, the better, so I'd pick up a new set of 14" all-seasons. If you want to be particular, you can look for something that you know will have good traction on a loose surface, something knobby-like with large voids.

If you want to get fancy, you can look for A/T or rally-tires. But, you need to find out the rules for whatever club you're going with. Depending on the surface they run on, they may or may not allow A/T or rally tires. If they do, using them will usually put you in a different class, but you'll have a lot more traction, and you'll be beating the WRX's running on A/S's. :praise:

Don't forget to run at least 40-45psi in your tires so they don't break a bead if you hit a rut!

It's an SCCA meet, if I'm not mistaken.  In the rules, they allow for snow tires and the cars run on mud.  I really want it to rain hard, which it usually does here in July.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 14, 2007, 08:31:41 PM
Umm, that hood is definitely not rusted out, there's not a spot of rust on it.

And there are no hubcaps on that car either, those are aluminum wheels.

The only speck of rust on the outside is under the logo, on the edge of the hood. The inside is badly rusted. I'll get some pictures.

And there are no rims or hubcaps on the right side of the car.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Eye of the Tiger

How does your friend drive without any rims on the right side? :confused:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 14, 2007, 07:59:59 PM
Evidently taking an Evo AutoXing voids the warranty, but WRXs come with memberships to clubs and coupons and shit.

You got an SCCA membership back in 2002, but since then I think they nixxed that...at least, it wasn't mentioned to me. :lol:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: NACar on June 14, 2007, 08:38:40 PM
How does your friend drive without any rims on the right side? :confused:

It looks like the cop cars do, on the right side. Steelies, I presume. The tires on the right are a bit different than the left ones, too. It's quite weird.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 14, 2007, 08:48:46 PM
It looks like the cop cars do, on the right side. Steelies, I presume. The tires on the right are a bit different than the left ones, too. It's quite weird.

Oh, so there are rims on the right side. It's all starting to come together now.

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on June 14, 2007, 08:46:18 PM
You got an SCCA membership back in 2002, but since then I think they nixxed that...at least, it wasn't mentioned to me. :lol:

Do you have to have one to do one rallycross event?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on June 14, 2007, 08:59:48 PM
Do you have to have one to do one rallycross event?

You don't need to be a member, but non-members pay about $10 more per event and don't earn championship points.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 14, 2007, 08:35:30 PM
The only speck of rust on the outside is under the logo, on the edge of the hood. The inside is badly rusted. I'll get some pictures.

And there are no rims or hubcaps on the right side of the car.

Then its not rusted out, is it? In fact, its rusted very little at all. There is no bubbling on the surface. A 5 dollar rattle can will clean up the underside of the hood just fine.

Cranks for the windows? Run you a couple of bucks at any junkyard: that somebody would sweat through the summer and not take the time to fix them is inexcusable.

Brake and turn signal bulbs? Please.

So how does it handle with two wheels?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT_Power

if this was stick, i'd probably bite
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

3.0L V6

How much does he want for the head unit and/or head unit seperately?

That car is actually a pretty easy fix it up job, and would make a decent commuter. 173,000kms (~107,000mi) is low miles. I already have a car, and really can't afford a second one at this time, but if I was looking, $350 would be a steal.

omicron

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 14, 2007, 06:55:01 PM
Some of you know that to save gas, I drive a neighbor (and friend)'s car to school, as his parents think he's too terrible a driver. His parents foot the gas and insurance bill, and I drive a few of us to school and back in it, most days.

Now, the school year's ending, and we're going to separate institutions next year. His parents have bought him a 1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer which he's sure to roll sooner or later, but the Neon's for sale.

Oh for goodness sake.

1. Stupid parents for paying for his car, his petrol, and his insurance.
2. Stupid parents for buying him an Explorer Eddie Bauer. What in the living shit does a child fresh out of school need a barge-arse 4WD for? To run over classmates? To be 'safer'? My God, if that's the reasoning, then I forbid them from having children ever again.
3. Stupid parents for conceding their child drives like a rosebush, but buying him a 4WD with no handling ability whatsoever, and a higher propensity for falling over.
4. Stupid son for allowing his parents to buy him a car, petrol and insurance. Greedy little shit.
5. Stupid son for wanting a '98 Explorer over anything else he could have asked for.
6. Stupid son for allowing a person who is not a listed driver to drive his Neon, which will in turn void any insurance claim should you, Trep, ever get into an accident whilst driving his car.

:nono:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: omicron on June 15, 2007, 08:16:04 AM

6. Stupid son for allowing a person who is not a listed driver to drive his Neon, which will in turn void any insurance claim should you, Trep, ever get into an accident whilst driving his car.

:nono:

It may work that way in Kangarooland, but not everywhere.

On my insurance, everybody is covered as long as they have a valid license and are not specifically named as an excluded driver.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

1. Stupid parents for paying for his car, his petrol, and his insurance.  Disagree...

2. Stupid parents for buying him an Explorer Eddie Bauer. What in the living shit does a child fresh out of school need a barge-arse 4WD for? To run over classmates? To be 'safer'? My God, if that's the reasoning, then I forbid them from having children ever again.  Agree.

3. Stupid parents for conceding their child drives like a rosebush, but buying him a 4WD with no handling ability whatsoever, and a higher propensity for falling over.  Agree.

4. Stupid son for allowing his parents to buy him a car, petrol and insurance. Greedy little shit.  Disagree...

5. Stupid son for wanting a '98 Explorer over anything else he could have asked for.  Agree.

6. Stupid son for allowing a person who is not a listed driver to drive his Neon, which will in turn void any insurance claim should you, Trep, ever get into an accident whilst driving his car.   Agree.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on June 15, 2007, 08:00:52 PM

1. Stupid parents for paying for his car, his petrol, and his insurance.  Disagree...

2. Stupid parents for buying him an Explorer Eddie Bauer. What in the living shit does a child fresh out of school need a barge-arse 4WD for? To run over classmates? To be 'safer'? My God, if that's the reasoning, then I forbid them from having children ever again.  Agree.

3. Stupid parents for conceding their child drives like a rosebush, but buying him a 4WD with no handling ability whatsoever, and a higher propensity for falling over.  Agree.

4. Stupid son for allowing his parents to buy him a car, petrol and insurance. Greedy little shit.  Disagree...

5. Stupid son for wanting a '98 Explorer over anything else he could have asked for.  Agree.

6. Stupid son for allowing a person who is not a listed driver to drive his Neon, which will in turn void any insurance claim should you, Trep, ever get into an accident whilst driving his car.   Agree.

Says the kid with the Porsche...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on June 16, 2007, 02:53:07 AM

Look at the points with which I disagreed. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 15, 2007, 06:09:37 PM
It may work that way in Kangarooland, but not everywhere.

On my insurance, everybody is covered as long as they have a valid license and are not specifically named as an excluded driver.

Oh, lucky. Someone crashes the Lexcen or the Magna into a tree who isn't my mother, father or I, and bye-bye possible insurance claim.

heelntoe

really? here our insurance company doesn't care at all.
@heelntoe

JYODER240

Quote from: Psilos on June 16, 2007, 02:53:07 AM

What do you expect someone to do? "Please, mom and dad, don't buy me a nice car. I'd rather buy a beater myself."
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

The Pirate

Quote from: JYODER240 on June 17, 2007, 10:23:32 AM
What do you expect someone to do? "Please, mom and dad, don't buy me a nice car. I'd rather buy a beater myself."

Yep.   :tounge:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

heelntoe

cavemen. :rolleyes:
which chariot do you think is the best? or are you still stuck in the walking era?
@heelntoe

omicron

Quote from: heelntoe on June 17, 2007, 10:35:38 AM
cavemen. :rolleyes:
which chariot do you think is the best? or are you still stuck in the walking era?

What? Is he Australian?

the Teuton

Quote from: JYODER240 on June 17, 2007, 10:23:32 AM

Honestly, what's wrong with that concept?  That's how the sport compact culture came to be.  People bought cheap little Hondas and Toyotas or they got old hand-me-downs and wanted to go faster.  While that culture is a far cry from what it is today, some of us still adhere to many of the same beliefs.

I wouldn't turn down my parents giving me a cool car, as I've often joked they should buy me a WRX, but I have tons of crap to haul around and as you know the weather sucks here, so I think I made a good investment for my needs and I can say that I did it myself.

JYODER240

Quote from: the Teuton on June 17, 2007, 11:31:03 AM
Honestly, what's wrong with that concept?? That's how the sport compact culture came to be.? People bought cheap little Hondas and Toyotas or they got old hand-me-downs and wanted to go faster.? While that culture is a far cry from what it is today, some of us still adhere to many of the same beliefs.

I wouldn't turn down my parents giving me a cool car, as I've often joked they should buy me a WRX, but I have tons of crap to haul around and as you know the weather sucks here, so I think I made a good investment for my needs and I can say that I did it myself.

There's nothing wrong with buying your own car and building it up. I just don't see how you would ever expect someone to turn down a free one. If someone's parents want to buy their child a new car what's wrong with accepting it?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

CJ

Would I turn down a car given to me?  No, I wouldn't.  Would I turn down the opportunity to buy my own car and having pride of ownership?  No, I wouldn't.

the Teuton

Quote from: CJ on June 17, 2007, 01:13:22 PM
Would I turn down a car given to me?  No, I wouldn't.  Would I turn down the opportunity to buy my own car and having pride of ownership?  No, I wouldn't.

Very well put.

I have a friend with a very nice car that claims to have purchased it all himself.  I have never argued the point, even though I know it is generally a false statement.  We both have a mutual friend who's purchased several cars all himself and would probably never let anyone live it down if the truth were to be told about parental purchasing.  Even still, I have a friend who has a winter beater B13 Sentra and a Firebird V8 and generally even though the F Body is a far nicer, babied car, more praise generally comes about for the POS Nissan (probably because it's a 5 speed whereas the F is an automatic).  The Nissan was also purchased by my friend where the Firebird was purchased by the parents and has a reserved spot on the garage where the father's vehicles have to share the driveway with the Nissan.

Between the friends that I have and the fact that my parents have made all of my brothers purchase our own cars, I have an instilled "stand on my soapbox" sense of pride about true ownership of a vehicle.  And like I've said previously, most likely if I ever have children, I will probably do a system of matching dollar for dollar of what they raise to help purchase a car or just make them purchase one altogether.  Yes, I am a cruel bastard, but I don't believe in keeping up with the Joneses, either.

In saying this, I'm more proud of Trep's friend's parents for buying the kid lousy used cars (which both are, in all honesty) to see if he's ready for better vehicles, which he most definitely isn't.  The kid doesn't even know how to change a lightbulb, or care.  Being a teenage driver isn't about being flashy, as most of our Fast and Furious dreams may have it, but rather safety and making it to an age of expanded wisdom and responsibility.  The kid obviously doesn't deserve better car because he doesn't know how to take care of his Neon, but in the same respect, at least they aren't throwing him the keys to a new sports car.

Raza

Hey, don't get me wrong.  I'm looking forward to being able to buy my own car next year.  It will be a major accomplishment for me. 

But, I have the benefit of time, which I did not have when I was 16.  This time, if my parents do offer to kick in, I will probably refuse so they can't have any say in what I get.  So if I want a Civic Si or a 964 or a 996, it's all my decision.  I won't have anyone telling me that it's too impractical, or that it's too fast or that it would stand out too much at work.  It would all be on me.  But, now I can afford something nice.  5 years ago, I couldn't.  And I don't mean 5 years ago I didn't have the money to buy a secondhand 911.  I would have had trouble getting a firsthand Toys R Us bicycle.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

Quote from: the Teuton on June 18, 2007, 12:21:57 AM

In saying this, I'm more proud of Trep's friend's parents for buying the kid lousy used cars (which both are, in all honesty) to see if he's ready for better vehicles, which he most definitely isn't.  The kid doesn't even know how to change a lightbulb, or care.  Being a teenage driver isn't about being flashy, as most of our Fast and Furious dreams may have it, but rather safety and making it to an age of expanded wisdom and responsibility.  The kid obviously doesn't deserve better car because he doesn't know how to take care of his Neon, but in the same respect, at least they aren't throwing him the keys to a new sports car.

Totally agree. Yesterday that same friend and I had to go to pick up our friend from the airport (and he had lots of luggage), and I suggested we take his Eddie Bauer as I forgot about the luggage and showed up to his house in the 323i. His parents then said "uhhh Adi, Alex, the Explorer's got 2 misfiring cylinders." We ended up taking the 323i to the airport, but in the end my friend didn't give a shit that it was misfiring and AFAIK he's taken the Explorer to work today.