The Audi Experience

Started by TheIntrepid, June 15, 2007, 05:12:27 PM

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Champ on June 18, 2007, 01:26:24 PM
To you guys with keyless fobs:
What happens when you walk away from the car while it is still running, with the fob in your pocket?
The Infinitis would still run but ding a little light at you to show the fob is moving away.

My Camry arrives in a couple weeks; I'll try that. I'd assume it powers off though.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Sir_CARzy

The GL has the full keyless thing going.... I'm not sure what happens if you walk away while the engine is running..... I don't know how you'd forget to turn off the engine, though.  :huh: Maybe I'll try it later today.

Champ

Quote from: Sir_CARzy on June 18, 2007, 03:13:51 PM
The GL has the full keyless thing going.... I'm not sure what happens if you walk away while the engine is running..... I don't know how you'd forget to turn off the engine, though. :huh: Maybe I'll try it later today.
Happens @ Valet quite a bit.  People forget their key is in their pocket and walk into the restaurant.

I knew the answer to my question, and it's most cars will just continue to run, but ding a little light at you saying the key is gone.  You will be able to drive it until you shut it off, then you are SOL.

Lebowski

The S2000 has a push-button start, but you first insert the metal key, turn it to on, then on the other side of the steering wheel is the start button.? Cool to have a start button - but ultimately pointless.

What happens when you walk away from the car while it is still running, with the fob in your pocket?
The Infinitis would still run but ding a little light at you to show the fob is moving away.

It definately allows the engine to keep running, I'm not sure if it honks or anything like it does if you accidentally try to lock the fob in the car.

Lebowski

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 18, 2007, 10:50:20 AM
Is your Vette a standard or automatic?

4-speed auto, the only way to equip a vette.

J/k, 6 speed manual.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Lebowski on June 18, 2007, 03:30:55 PM
4-speed auto, the only way to equip a vette.

:lol:

I think the Vetta has come with a 6-speed automatic for a while now though.  :P

When you build a car using plastic and use a wagon suspension and a truck engine, they can splurge a little bit on the transmission I guess.  :devil:

Lebowski

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 18, 2007, 03:33:19 PM

:lol:

I think the Vetta has come with a 6-speed automatic for a while now though.? :P

When you build a car using plastic and use a wagon suspension and a truck engine, they can splurge a little bit on the transmission I guess.? :devil:

Yeah, they offered the A6 w/ paddle shifters starting in '06.

I still prefer a real manual though and can't think of a single good reason to go with the auto (the "boo hoo I have to commute" excuse doesn't cut it - I use mine as a DD and live in a city w/ some of the worst traffic in the country and not once has having a manual bothered me).

rjm

On my STS, it keeps running but won't shift out of park.  DIC would display "No FOB detected".

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Lebowski on June 18, 2007, 03:30:17 PM
It definately allows the engine to keep running, I'm not sure if it honks or anything like it does if you accidentally try to lock the fob in the car.

I remember a primitive version of that in my '99 Camry. If the key was in the ignition, and you open the door, the power lock switch locks, then unlocks the doors with a "BING". Then the green ring around the key would flash.

If the key's in the ignition and a door's open on the Intrepid, the door lock switch doesn't work.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on June 18, 2007, 03:30:17 PM

Mercedes' system automatically shuts off the engine if the key is removed from the interior of the car while the engine is on, I believe.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9665.msg482251#msg482251 date=1182214138
Mercedes' system automatically shuts off the engine if the key is removed from the interior of the car while the engine is on, I believe.

That's fuckin gay.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on June 18, 2007, 07:11:56 PM
That's fuckin gay.

Well, if you're carjacked, the carjacker won't get very far.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9665.msg482782#msg482782 date=1182265137
Well, if you're carjacked, the carjacker won't get very far.

Still gay.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9665.msg482251#msg482251 date=1182214138

What happens if someone throws the key out teh window at 100mph?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT_Power

Quote from: JYODER240 on June 19, 2007, 10:25:09 PM

well lets hope they dont
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Soup DeVille

The S2000 has a push-button start, but you first insert the metal key, turn it to on, then on the other side of the steering wheel is the start button.? Cool to have a start button - but ultimately pointless.

The point of the start button is that if you stall the motor while underway, you can clutch, shift, and restart the car in much quicker steps.

Same reason why Porsches have the key on the left of the steering wheel.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Galaxy

The Touareg keyless system has a nifty feature. If the driver and passenger each have a FOB in their pocket and adjust their seats/AC etc. The car will sense if they switched seats and make the necessary adjustmensts.

It might also work on other systems. Not that usefull but cool in a geeky sort of way.? ;)

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 19, 2007, 11:48:14 PM
The point of the start button is that if you stall the motor while underway, you can clutch, shift, and restart the car in much quicker steps.

I was always told that the ignition placement was so that a race driver could be strapped in and turn on the car at the same time. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on June 19, 2007, 10:25:09 PM

What happens if you throw your key out of the window at 100mph?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Autobahn

I thought it was for security reasons, so rescue personell can switch of the engine easier after an accident.

JYODER240

Every single time I get in a Porsche I forget about that :banghead:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Galaxy on June 20, 2007, 04:31:19 AM
The Touareg keyless system has a nifty feature. If the driver and passenger each have a FOB in their pocket and adjust their seats/AC etc. The car will sense if they switched seats and make the necessary adjustmensts.

It might also work on other systems. Not that usefull but cool in a geeky sort of way.  ;)

Damn, that's pretty swell. Our Touareg is a 2004, so it still has the conventional key. Still has the uber-cool VW fob though.

ro51092

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 20, 2007, 09:13:16 AM
Damn, that's pretty swell. Our Touareg is a 2004, so it still has the conventional key. Still has the uber-cool VW fob though.

Swell? You Canadian kids sure are weird.

Tave

Quote from: Autobahn on June 20, 2007, 08:57:46 AM
I thought it was for security reasons, so rescue personell can switch of the engine easier after an accident.

Or maybe they did it just to be different, then stuck with it :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

93JC

Race car style. :rockon:

As much as it's mostly a gimmick in a road car I love the procedure of starting a car with a button. :mrcool:

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on June 18, 2007, 06:48:58 PM

I think it's some distance.  I went to have an ML63 washed for a perspective customer, and after I pulled into the dealer, I went inside with the key and came out with the engine still running.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on June 20, 2007, 08:58:55 AM
Every single time I get in a Porsche I forget about that :banghead:

I fuck up when I get back into the Passat alot.  I don't think I've forgottne in the Box though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Tave on June 20, 2007, 09:29:42 AM

Or maybe they did it just to be different, then stuck with it :huh:

The lore that I'm always told is that it's so driver changes can be quicker, derived from the old racing days.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Champ

Quote from: Raza on June 20, 2007, 11:09:24 AM
I fuck up when I get back into the Passat alot. I don't think I've forgottne in the Box though.
I do that after I valet a shift.  I go to get in my car, and quickly jam the key into the steering column....... DOH!! I feel like I disrespected the car  :(  I quickly apologize to it, then go rip around cuz it likes to go fast :ohyeah:

Galaxy

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 20, 2007, 09:13:16 AM

The Touareg had keyless start from the beginning it just was not imported into the US at first.  From what I heard VW was afraid of the lawyers. You can retrofit the system yourself if about 45 minutes or so if you do not have to left hands. The only difficult thing is drilling the hole for the start button into the trim without cracking the clear coat of the wood. You can of course buy a new trim piece that has the cut out already but that is expensive.