Scion tC
0 (0%)
Mitsubishi Eclipse
1 (3.7%)
Write-in (Coupes only, please)
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 25

ifcar

Does the fact that I have buttons to move threads and ban spammers really have anything to do with automotive discussions? :huh:

S204STi

The title of moderator is supposed to bear with it a level of responsibility, and maturity.  You totally hijacked this thread, and ruined its significance.  That doesn't strike me as responsible or mature.

ifcar

The title of moderator does not restrict discussion. (If it did, I would have no interest in it.)

Also, you seem to imply both that the discussion topic of a thread changing can be attributed to one person (talking to oneself never hijacked anything) and that it's bad.

Soup DeVille

"Coupe" is a french term related to (and not getting too hung up on etymology) cut or slash, and was traditionally used to refer to a body style that was reduced in size (generally from that of a sedan), generally cutting space out of the rear seat, and leaving a slashed or sloped backlight. Most coupes also have a trunk area which is seperate from the passenger area, although that may not be a determining factor.

Refer to the Bugatti Coupe Napoleon and compare it to the Sedanca DeVille and Berline DeVoyage Royales for a historical reference.

A "Hatchback" is just that: nothing more or nothing less. It has a hatch in the back which gives access to the passenger section. The general, accepted purpose of this is to increase functionality and maximize available space in a smaller car.

OK, so technically a Corvette, Mustang, Firebird type car with a hatch in the back could be called a hatchback; but almost nobody will argue that these are cars that have been designed around maximizing the use of space or with practical functionality as being a key element of their design. No, their sloping rear ends and compromising (or nonexistant) back seat space give more credence to the idea of them being coupes.

That being said, a car whose roofline extends almost all the way back to the rear of the car, and which has a hatch that is more vertical than horizontal, and that incorporates at least some portion of the rear bodywork is most definitely a hatchback, and probably not a coupe.

Up next: Jack Daniels: Bourbon or Kentucky whiskey?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

S204STi

Quote from: ifcar on June 20, 2007, 04:36:09 PM
The title of moderator does not restrict discussion. (If it did, I would have no interest in it.)

Also, you seem to imply both that the discussion topic of a thread changing can be attributed to one person (talking to oneself never hijacked anything) and that it's bad.

Bah...

"My give up!"

:banghead:

nickdrinkwater

TheIntrepid

:lol:

Drinkwater's been making me laugh quite a bit these days.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]