Scion tC
0 (0%)
Mitsubishi Eclipse
1 (3.7%)
Write-in (Coupes only, please)
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Raza

Go for it.  I just specified coupes, but I do know that the GTI and the MS3 both play in this league as well.  If you really hate all that's offered, go ahead and choose one of those.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ro51092

Out of these, I'll take the Civic. Otherwise, I'll take a GTI.

ifcar

Of these, the Cobalt. But why the tC and Tiburon but no GTI (my choice) or Eclipse?

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on June 16, 2007, 11:37:44 AM
Of these, the Cobalt. But why the tC and Tiburon but no GTI (my choice) or Eclipse?

GTI's not a coupe, it's a hatch, and I just forgot about the Eclipse.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

tC and Tiburon are hatches. The Eclipse is too, but it is rather forgettable.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on June 16, 2007, 11:44:03 AM
tC and Tiburon are hatches. The Eclipse is too, but it is rather forgettable.

If you want to get technical, yes, they are hatchbacks.  And the Ion isn't really a coupe.  But it's still a coupe style.  The GTI (and MS3) has a classic hatchback shape.  I didn't want people coming in here and going "Well the GTI is so much more practical" and stuff like that.  I wanted a pretty level playing field.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

I think I'll do a poll for "favorite luxury brand" and take out Mercedes, BMW, and Audi. You know, to level the playing field.

JYODER240

I voted for the Si. I'd like to drive it and the GTI.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on June 16, 2007, 11:51:20 AM
I think I'll do a poll for "favorite luxury brand" and take out Mercedes, BMW, and Audi. You know, to level the playing field.

That's a pretty silly analogy.  To run with what you have, it would be like leaving out Porsche because it's not really a luxury manufacturer, but it's a sports and GT car maker, and they just happen to have luxury touches.  Just like the GTI is not really a coupe.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

The GTI is as much a coupe as the Eclipse, tC, and Tiburon.

How about a poll of fuel-efficient cars with the Toyota Yaris ineligible because it's too inexpensive compared to hybrids?

ro51092

Iffy, stop being a dumbass. You know exactly what he means.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on June 16, 2007, 11:56:16 AM
The GTI is as much a coupe as the Eclipse, tC, and Tiburon.
You are kidding right?? The GTI is a hatchback with a classic hatchback shape.? I'm with Raza on this one.

EDIT:  BTW, I picked the Cobalt SS Supercharged.

ifcar

Quote from: ro51092 on June 16, 2007, 11:57:31 AM
Iffy, stop being a dumbass. You know exactly what he means.

It's a direct competitor to the others that's been excluded for its shape. It's too practical to be a good FWD sporty car, it will make the coupes and other hatchbacks look bad?

Disqualified for doing something better. :rolleyes:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on June 16, 2007, 12:01:35 PM
It's a direct competitor to the others that's been excluded for its shape. It's too practical to be a good FWD sporty car, it will make the coupes and other hatchbacks look bad?

You're really starting to piss me off in this thread, man.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

It makes about as much sense as comparing a Magnum to a Camry.? Both serve the same purpose, are aimed at the same customer base, but one is a wagon and the other is a sedan.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 16, 2007, 12:38:28 PM
It makes about as much sense as comparing a Magnum to a Camry.  Both serve the same purpose, are aimed at the same customer base, but one is a wagon and the other is a sedan.

It's not unreasonable to compare them. But the difference is that there is a nearly identical car that's closer to the Camry, the Charger. It's not as though there's a Jetta GLI coupe and a GTI 3-door and that I'm arguing that the GTI also belongs in the poll.

Look at it this way: if it weren't in this poll, where would it be? The 5-door could fit with the MS3, but the 3-door? The Civic Si et al is definitely the group it's a part of.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on June 16, 2007, 12:43:47 PM
It's not unreasonable to compare them. But the difference is that there is a nearly identical car that's closer to the Camry, the Charger. It's not as though there's a Jetta GLI coupe and a GTI 3-door and that I'm arguing that the GTI also belongs in the poll.

Look at it this way: if it weren't in this poll, where would it be? The 5-door could fit with the MS3, but the 3-door? The Civic Si et al is definitely the group it's a part of.

Wasn't the GTI in a C&D comparison with a Civic Si, WRX, and MS3?

ifcar

I know there was a GTI vs. Si, but I don't remember if it was C/D that did a bigger group.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on June 16, 2007, 12:51:16 PM
I know there was a GTI vs. Si, but I don't remember if it was C/D that did a bigger group.

It was C&D. Let me go double check that.

May 2007 Issue:

$25,000 Funsters
-Subaru WRX
-VW GTI
-MazdaSpeed 3
-Nissan Sentra SE-R
-Honda Civic SI

giant_mtb

Of all the options here, I'd go with the Cobalt SS.  They really are kinda neat cars.

No Monte Carlo?  I woulda gone with that for sure had it been on the list (especially the SS!).  :rockon:

Onslaught

All the ones I like are no longer made. But out of this list I would take the Tiburon with the Civic Si right after it.

Rupert

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 16, 2007, 12:31:51 PM
You're really starting to piss me off in this thread, man.

Look out! Trep's mad!

I picked the Si.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Yeah.  That's why professional athletes can't play in the Special Olympics.  It's why cars aren't allowed in horse races. 

Do you go to horse races and complain that cars aren't allowed to race?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on June 16, 2007, 12:43:47 PM

I'm not saying it doesn't compete.  I'm saying I didn't want it to skew the results of the poll.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 16, 2007, 01:38:55 PM
Of all the options here, I'd go with the Cobalt SS.  They really are kinda neat cars.

No Monte Carlo?  I woulda gone with that for sure had it been on the list (especially the SS!).  :rockon:

I said "Front Drive Sport Coupes", not "Big 2 door versions of midsize family sedans".  I'm doing that poll later.

:lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

The Civic handles better than the others. Take it out, it's too good. The tC is the most refined, it may skew the results because it has an advantage over the others.

The horse analogy is false because a car doesn't compete with a horse while the GTI competes with the others. And the Special Olympics one is flawed because it implies that the others couldn't be considered better than the GTI.

Each car is better than the others in some way. You just chose to exclude one car for its advantage.

Again, I ask you what poll the GTI 3-door would be in, if not this?

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on June 16, 2007, 02:36:16 PM
I said "Front Drive Sport Coupes", not "Big 2 door versions of midsize family sedans".  I'm doing that poll later.

:lol:

The Eclipse fits into that one, too.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on June 16, 2007, 02:39:45 PM
The Civic handles better than the others. Take it out, it's too good. The tC is the most refined, it may skew the results because it has an advantage over the others.

The horse analogy is false because a car doesn't compete with a horse while the GTI competes with the others. And the Special Olympics one is flawed because it implies that the others couldn't be considered better than the GTI.

Each car is better than the others in some way. You just chose to exclude one car for its advantage.

Again, I ask you what poll the GTI 3-door would be in, if not this?

Why are you being so intentionally obtuse about this one?  I left the GTI out because it's practically and visually a different bodystyle.  Fucking deal with it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA