Honda Pilot

Started by hounddog, June 17, 2007, 08:42:21 PM

hounddog

Wife considering a trade to a Pilot.  Any thoughts?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

The Pirate

You have a decent sized boat, right?  There are probably better options out there if you are going to be towing on a regular basis.  Other than that, they are nice vehicles (I can't quite call it a truck).  Friends of my parents are on their second one, they like it a lot.  It's got good resale too, if you ever wanted to get rid of it while you still have a loan (being upside down on a car loan can be a pain in the ass :tounge:).  They are nice comfortable vehicles, though.

A couple of members on here have Pilots, I'm sure they will be able to offer more info.  Soup DeVille, Morris Minor and crv16 are the owners, IIRC.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

giant_mtb

One of my friends' parents have one, and I've ridden in the backseat a few times.  It's surprisingly roomy and is no doubt comfortable.  That's about all I can say.   :huh: :thumbsup:

hounddog

Quote from: The Pirate on June 17, 2007, 08:54:46 PM
You have a decent sized boat, right?? There are probably better options out there if you are going to be towing on a regular basis.? Other than that, they are nice vehicles (I can't quite call it a truck).? Friends of my parents are on their second one, they like it a lot.? It's got good resale too, if you ever wanted to get rid of it while you still have a loan (being upside down on a car loan can be a pain in the ass :tounge:).? They are nice comfortable vehicles, though.

A couple of members on here have Pilots, I'm sure they will be able to offer more info.? Soup DeVille, Morris Minor and crv16 are the owners, IIRC.
She is considering trading in her convertible.  We would keep the truck to tow the boat until the lease runs out in 09.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

SJ_GTI

Why the pilot, just out of curiousity?

I've been in them a lot, but never driven one myself. They seem nice enough, but most reviews lately seem to make the GM Lamda CUV's out as better overall than the pilot. The Mazda CX-9 also seems nicer from what I can tell, but then I am not really a truck person.

SVT666

The Hyundai Veracruz just beat out the Lexus RX350 in a comparo of entry-level luxury utes.  If I was in the market, that's what I would be checking out right now.

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 18, 2007, 08:05:53 AM
I'm not changing my story. I have two points. One is that it's disgraceful for a company with a level of prestige that Lexus has, to be beaten out by a low-end (perceived to be, anyway) company such as Hyundai, and the other is that the two SUVs don't compare.
Why can't a Lexus be beaten by a Hyundai?  Just because it's a Hyundai?  That's just wrong on so many accounts.  Hyundai is doing a lot of things very well right now.  If you read the article you would also know that the reason the Hyundai beat the Lexus is because the testers said the Lexus was not $10,000 better then the Hyundai.  In fact the Hyundai out performed the Lexus in handling, emergency lane change, slalom, etc. and had most of the luxury items the Lexus had.  The two indeed compete considering the Veracruz is only 4" longer and it is certainly nowhere near as big as a Durango or Expedition.

S204STi

Hounddog, I'm a big fan of the Honda Pilot, and that is even after having driven the new GM lambda suvs.  Drive one of those anyway just for fun (particularly the GMC Acadia or the Saturn Outlook...the Buick looks aweful...), but I still think the Pilot is subjectively a better vehicle.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on June 18, 2007, 08:13:37 AM
Hounddog, I'm a big fan of the Honda Pilot, and that is even after having driven the new GM lambda suvs.? Drive one of those anyway just for fun (particularly the GMC Acadia or the Saturn Outlook...the Buick looks aweful...), but I still think the Pilot is subjectively a better vehicle.
They already did.  He didn't like the parts bin feel of the GMC and liked the Outlook more then the GMC.

crv16

Quote from: hounddog on June 17, 2007, 08:42:21 PM
Wife considering a trade to a Pilot.? Any thoughts?

We have had one for about 7 months.  It's a real solid vehicle overall.  Handles nicely, has a sweet V6 engine, transmission is the first automatic I've driven that doesn't actually fight you.  Car & Driver has had the Pilot on their 5 best trucks list for several years now.

They are fairly cheap to own.  Right now there are some decent prices on them, between dealer discounts and cheap financing.  We paid $26k for ours - with loaded ones going for about 30k.  They keep their value better than most.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

hounddog

Quote from: R-inge on June 18, 2007, 08:13:37 AM
Hounddog, I'm a big fan of the Honda Pilot, and that is even after having driven the new GM lambda suvs.? Drive one of those anyway just for fun (particularly the GMC Acadia or the Saturn Outlook...the Buick looks aweful...), but I still think the Pilot is subjectively a better vehicle.
She has driven the GMC and the Saturn.  She has not driven the Buick, but really likes the looks of it.  It seems to have the best materials of the three.  She is also considering the Buick, but the Pilot has a very good history in her eyes.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 18, 2007, 06:58:41 AM
Why the pilot, just out of curiousity?

I've been in them a lot, but never driven one myself. They seem nice enough, but most reviews lately seem to make the GM Lamda CUV's out as better overall than the pilot. The Mazda CX-9 also seems nicer from what I can tell, but then I am not really a truck person.
I really can not answer that.  She just likes it. 
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

SVT666

Here's an idea.  How about everyone just forget that I even brought up the Veracruz.  Holy shit there is some juvenile behaviour on here lately.

SVT_Power

So either the veracruz is gonna start something new for Hyundai, or it's gonna be another case of the Phaeton.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

TheIntrepid

Quote from: M_power on June 18, 2007, 02:34:35 PM
So either the veracruz is gonna start something new for Hyundai, or it's gonna be another case of the Phaeton.

The Phaeton is something else. WOW what a wonderful car.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT_Power

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 18, 2007, 02:35:52 PM
The Phaeton is something else. WOW what a wonderful car.

It's a brilliant case to compare the veracruz with. Both great cars in their segments, both with the "wrong" badges.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

TheIntrepid

Quote from: M_power on June 18, 2007, 02:39:15 PM
It's a brilliant case to compare the veracruz with. Both great cars in their segments, both with the "wrong" badges.

I guess I'll agree. However, the Veracruz isn't as "out there" as the Phaeton was.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ifcar

I wanted to like the Phaeton, but there's more wrong with it than the badge. Like the weight.

CJ

I think it's doing pretty darn well.  I've been seeing loads of them lately.  There were 4 at one intersection just recently.  Four.

Sir_CARzy

You are judged by what you drive, and from that point of view most, not all buyers would never buy a "$50,000" hyundai until Hyundai lifts their brand-image. If they can afford a 50,000$ car, (most people) want others to know it. Buying a Hyundai doesn't prove that. 99% of buyers are brand-snobs.

I think your wife should take a look at the CX-7, but if shes going up from a Convert - and you already have a truck, why buy another big car? IMO, no family needs 2 big cars, unless you life somewhere where it snows and both cars will be driven at the same time. (clearly if you and a convert, thats not the case). You don't need an SUV..... let somebody else have the gas. just my 2 cents

ro51092

What kind of vert is she comin from?

Raghavan

The Pilot is a pretty nice car. We have an MDX, and it's pretty nice. It's quiet and reliable, but i don't drive it much (not allowed to after my dad dinged it) so that's all i can say about that. :huh:

Raghavan

Quote from: AKL on June 18, 2007, 02:12:10 PM
On a side note, Hyundai is an amazing company IMO. It's been putting out truly amazing vehicles.
Like the new Tib, if the rumors are true. :rockon:

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raghavan on June 18, 2007, 04:11:16 PM
Like the new Tib, if the rumors are true. :rockon:

Except it's been announced that it'll be only auto (at least in korea)

Catman

Way to get off track people......Hounddog, I looked at the Pilot before I got my Sequoia.  Can't say anything bad about them.  My problem was that the Honda dealer wouldn't budge from MSRP.  That being said, the Sequoia was the better choice on many levels.

ifcar

Quote from: Catman on June 18, 2007, 04:35:31 PM
Way to get off track people......Hounddog, I looked at the Pilot before I got my Sequoia.  Can't say anything bad about them.  My problem was that the Honda dealer wouldn't budge from MSRP.  That being said, the Sequoia was the better choice on many levels.

They're budging now.

Catman

Unfortunately, I had to waste 10 minutes of my day deleting posts that had nothing to do with the topic.   :lockedup:

hounddog

Quote from: ifcar on June 18, 2007, 04:41:19 PM
They're budging now.
Haha- you got scolded!? ? :P

I want her to consider the Durango, but it is her car and I am working very hard to leave the decision up to her.?
(that is farer mucherer harderer than you might imagine)

As for the other guy who asked what kind of vert she has now, she has an 06 330Cic.? We have had it for about a year and a couple months, and it only has 9500 or so miles on it.? She just can not see having it sit in the garage throught he winter, and not be able to drive it.? She is traveling quite a bit now for work, so she does not get to drive it that much the rest of the time, either.? ?She is thinking of something more useful.? :rolleyes:? On the upside, she gets a 1% bleow invoice discount through her employer on all Honda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Dodge, Frod, and GM.?
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

ifcar

Quote from: hounddog on June 18, 2007, 04:51:41 PM
Haha- you got scolded!    :P

That wasn't my intention, I was just trying to make it clear that the Pilot can now be had at a better price.

hounddog

Quote from: ifcar on June 18, 2007, 05:04:28 PM
That wasn't my intention, I was just trying to make it clear that the Pilot can now be had at a better price.
Damn it!  I quoted the wrong effing thing.   :banghead:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke