Edmunds Inside Line - 2008 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series vs. 2007 BMW M6

Started by cawimmer430, June 18, 2007, 02:04:28 AM

SJ_GTI

Quote from: TBR on June 18, 2007, 12:23:24 PM
Only because that was the only four seater coupe BMW had for a long time, I've seen the CLK55 compared to the regular 6-series before.

And I've seen it compared to the M3. The only place I saw that compared the 6-series to the CLK was when they took a CLK55 AMG and compared it to the 645ci, which has a similar problem to the article above (ie: taking a hopped up version of a cheaper car and comparing it to the base version of a more expensive car).

I grant you that there is no one-to-one relationaship between the BMW coupes and MB coupes, but considering the CLK is priced far closer to the 3-series coupe than the 6-series coupe and the fact that the CLK is based on the C-class sedan (which competes directly with the 3-series sedan) I would think its obvious that the CLK63 AMG competes against the M3. I think it just so happens that in this case, BMW doesn't make an M3 nearly as expensive as the CLK63 AMG Black so they just took the most expensive coupe they could find.

They are wlecome to do it of course, but I just don't see the point they are trying to make.

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 18, 2007, 10:56:50 AM
The Benz is 26,000 more than the M6. It should win this comparo.

I?d like to see what BMW could do bringing us a 26K more expensive M6 CSL. Then we could talk.

Always excuses with you BMW boys.  "If only our car were better, it would be better!"
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 18, 2007, 10:56:50 AM
The Benz is 26,000 more than the M6. It should win this comparo.

I?d like to see what BMW could do bringing us a 26K more expensive M6 CSL. Then we could talk.

Maybe they could add a carbon fiber roof to bring the weight down to 32 kilotons.  Oh right, they already did that  :rolleyes:

Lebowski

When I'm in the locker room at my gym, it always irks me that the most overweight men in the place seem to always insist on stripping down completely before getting on the scale.? I always want to pipe up and say: "you're 250 pounds overweight pal, a pair of boxer shorts ain't gonna throw off the fucking reading, so please spare us all the eyesore."?

For some reason I find the example above highly analogous to the M6's carbon fiber roof.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9697.msg482254#msg482254 date=1182214232
Always excuses with you BMW boys.? "If only our car were better, it would be better!"

No debating BMW (SOUP) FOR YOU!!!
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

TBR

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 18, 2007, 12:51:45 PM
And I've seen it compared to the M3. The only place I saw that compared the 6-series to the CLK was when they took a CLK55 AMG and compared it to the 645ci, which has a similar problem to the article above (ie: taking a hopped up version of a cheaper car and comparing it to the base version of a more expensive car).

I grant you that there is no one-to-one relationaship between the BMW coupes and MB coupes, but considering the CLK is priced far closer to the 3-series coupe than the 6-series coupe and the fact that the CLK is based on the C-class sedan (which competes directly with the 3-series sedan) I would think its obvious that the CLK63 AMG competes against the M3. I think it just so happens that in this case, BMW doesn't make an M3 nearly as expensive as the CLK63 AMG Black so they just took the most expensive coupe they could find.

They are wlecome to do it of course, but I just don't see the point they are trying to make.

The point is that the top of the line Mercedes Benz coupe is better than the top of the line BMW coupe.

omicron

Quote from: Lebowski on June 18, 2007, 07:10:12 PM
When I'm in the locker room at my gym, it always irks me that the most overweight men in the place seem to always insist on stripping down completely before getting on the scale.  I always want to pipe up and say: "you're 250 pounds overweight pal, a pair of boxer shorts ain't gonna throw off the fucking reading, so please spare us all the eyesore." 

:mask:

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

Is this a facelifted version of the original CLK AMG black series?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SJ_GTI

Quote from: TBR on June 18, 2007, 10:05:59 PM
The point is that the top of the line Mercedes Benz coupe is better than the top of the line BMW coupe.

The non-top of the line BMW coupe (M3 CSL, or even the Z4M) is also better than the top of the line BMW M Coupe using their criteria.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TBR

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 19, 2007, 06:34:37 AM
The non-top of the line BMW coupe (M3 CSL, or even the Z4M) is also better than the top of the line BMW M Coupe using their criteria.

M3 CSL isn't in production and would definitely be the closest competitor to the CLK63 Black if it was.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9697.msg482903#msg482903 date=1182275842
Bad Joke Alert!

No, I was being serious. The press release we saw earlier was black. What does the designation mean, exactly?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: TBR on June 19, 2007, 09:37:47 AM
M3 CSL isn't in production and would definitely be the closest competitor to the CLK63 Black if it was.

You suck!!!1!!!!eleven!!!

Raza

Quote from: Tave on June 19, 2007, 12:09:05 PM
No, I was being serious. The press release we saw earlier was black. What does the designation mean, exactly?

It's just a name, like "Club Sport".  It denotes the level beyond a "regular" AMG.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

I don't like it. What if you have one, and someone mentions,

"Nice CLK!"

You puff up your chest just a bit and answer proudly,

"It's the black edition, actually"

He stands there confused;

"Then why the fuck is it purple?"

I guess people can do what they want. I'd take mine in black (although I'd take most of the cars I want in black).

the Teuton

The 8er directly competed with the S Coupe/CL Class.  The 6 is below the CL yet above the CLK.  The 3 is below the CLK. 

The most fair comparison would be to throw price out the window because they've never had an equal footing in price.  Compare the top-of-the-line M3 when it comes out (hopefully it'll be a GTR version or something) to the CLK63 Black, which IMO is grossly overpriced.  The M6 is a CL550 competitor, IMO.

If only the 600 hp M8 came out, this problem probably wouldn't exist with cross comparisons.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raghavan

Oh man that CLK looks terrific! Since both of them are auto only, i'd take the CLK.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: the Teuton on June 19, 2007, 04:08:22 PM
The 8er directly competed with the S Coupe/CL Class.? The 6 is below the CL yet above the CLK.? The 3 is below the CLK.?

The most fair comparison would be to throw price out the window because they've never had an equal footing in price.? Compare the top-of-the-line M3 when it comes out (hopefully it'll be a GTR version or something) to the CLK63 Black, which IMO is grossly overpriced.? The M6 is a CL550 competitor, IMO.

If only the 600 hp M8 came out, this problem probably wouldn't exist with cross comparisons.

There hasb't been an 8-series in quite a long time.

There really isn't, nor has the ever been, a direct correlation between MB and BMW in their coupes. They each went their own path rather than facing off directly.

FlatBlackCaddy

Well this is one of the few times i'd ever say this but......i'd totally take the benz, its not even a contest.

The black series is totally badass and looks way better than the 6(the 6 almost looks japanese bland in comparison).

I'd possibly take that car over any BMW currently made(the m5 with a manual would have to be one sweet machine, since thats the only thing in the running for me imo).

MX793

Perhaps slightly off topic, but why is it called a "black series" when the car is not black in color?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TheIntrepid

Quote from: MX793 on June 19, 2007, 07:00:59 PM
Perhaps slightly off topic, but why is it called a "black series" when the car is not black in color?

Quote from: Raza  on June 19, 2007, 03:39:35 PM
It's just a name, like "Club Sport".  It denotes the level beyond a "regular" AMG.

I also agree that it's a silly name.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Lebowski

The M6 gets uglier each and every time I open this thread.  It might be the ugliest $100k+ car on the market today.

NomisR

Quote from: Tave on June 19, 2007, 03:48:54 PM
I don't like it. What if you have one, and someone mentions,

"Nice CLK!"

You puff up your chest just a bit and answer proudly,

"It's the black edition, actually"

He stands there confused;

"Then why the fuck is it purple?"

I guess people can do what they want. I'd take mine in black (although I'd take most of the cars I want in black).

Exactly!!  M6 is an M6, people will know... black edition?  WTF's that?  and for 100+k???  RIGHT!!  Not worth it in my book..  There's other real sports cars for that price.

ro51092

Lebowski

Quote from: NomisR on June 19, 2007, 07:38:25 PM
Exactly!!? M6 is an M6, people will know... black edition?? WTF's that?? and for 100+k???? RIGHT!!? Not worth it in my book..? There's other real sports cars for that price.

Who cares if other people know what it is?  That's a pretty sad reason to buy a car IMO, to impress your D-bag neighbors.

I agree there are better "real" sports cars for the price (GT3).  Or less (911 Carrera S).  But the M6 isn't one of them.

Champ

Are you guys going to do this when the Saab Black Turbo comes out and it will be offered in other colors than black?

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*