Van conversions

Started by SVT666, June 19, 2007, 03:16:06 PM

Off-raod vs. On-road van conversions

5 (26.3%)
14 (73.7%)

Total Members Voted: 17

SVT666

I'll take the offroad conversion please.

Pancor

Tave

That thing is SINISTER! Off-road FT game, set, and match.

I'd just get an RV if I wanted the on-road conversion.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Tave

Quote from: Pancor on June 19, 2007, 03:21:46 PM
Why not a 4X4 with all the luxury featues of the on-road version?

So you can dirty the interior without ruining it? :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on June 19, 2007, 03:23:47 PM
So you can dirty the interior without ruining it? :huh:
Exactly.  I love that roof top tent too.  We had a Westfalia when I was a kid and that was it's only redeeming quality.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 19, 2007, 03:27:00 PM
Exactly.? I love that roof top tent too.? We had a Westfalia when I was a kid and that was it's only redeeming quality.

Hell yeah, it makes it look like a frikken fort.

the Teuton

The interiors in some conversion vans could shame Maybachs.  I fell asleep in one at an auto show a few years back.  I'll take the luxury conversion before the off-roader.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Raghavan

Luxury conversion for me please. Those things are so comfortable. Offroad vans are too big anyways and probably have horrible breakover angles.

CJ

Tave

Quote from: Raghavan on June 19, 2007, 04:17:30 PM
Offroad vans are too big anyways

No bigger than an F350 or its ilk. It's no Wrangler, but that's not its function. It's meant to haul a group and their gear camping. Does that job better than anything.

Quoteand probably have horrible breakover angles.

Not bloody likely. Look how short the overhangs are on it.

93JC

Breakover angle is the angle in the middle. It will be shite because of the sheer length of the van. Overhangs have nothing to do with it. ;)

Raghavan

Quote from: Tave on June 19, 2007, 04:34:12 PM
No bigger than an F350 or its ilk. It's no Wrangler, but that's not its function. It's meant to haul a group and their gear camping. Does that job better than anything.
True, but I just wouldn't want to go off-roading in it, that's all.
Not bloody likely. Look how short the overhangs are on it.
Short overhangs only determine approach and departure angles. Breakover is dependent on wheelbase.

Raghavan

Tave

Quote from: Raghavan on June 19, 2007, 04:37:23 PM
True, but I just wouldn't want to go off-roading in it, that's all.Short overhangs only determine approach and departure angles. Breakover is dependent on wheelbase.

And height. Obviously a lift is in order. Regardless, it won't be any worse 1 ton it's based on. Not to mention that it'd be rare for a vehicle like this to encounter an extreme ridge. The thing wouldn't be rock-hoppin.

TheIntrepid

On-road. If I wanted an off-roader I'd buy a capable SUV.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

giant_mtb

On-roader for me.  I think it would be SO cool to have a big conversion van and just make it a complete luxury vehicle.  :thumbsup:

TheIntrepid

nickdrinkwater

TheIntrepid

goldenlover1101

Luxury for me! They are so nice inside and that is what vans were made for. I will buy an old cherokee for off roading!!

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

Onslaught

I couldn't drive anything that big. My moms Expedition is painful enough.  But if I had to then the "luxury" one.

SVT666

Hey Tave, I think these people are seriously f***ed in the head.   :lol:

Soup DeVille

I think people are missing the true point of the "offroad" van here.

Its not really supposed to be a hardcore offroad rig. What it is supposed to do is allow you to have a campsite that's more remote than the teeming masses of Winnebagoers down at the KOA. These things serve as base camps for all sorts of things, from hunting and fishing expeditions to support vehicles for rock crawling clubs. They're pretty damned cool if you ask me.

Normal conversions on the other hand? Well, you can add all the leather and mood lighting to a van you wish, but it still drives like a van. I don't see the point f them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

ChrisV

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 19, 2007, 09:55:55 PM
Normal conversions on the other hand? Well, you can add all the leather and mood lighting to a van you wish, but it still drives like a van. I don't see the point f them.

Limos with headroom. Business class aircraft that never leave the ground. :lol: Really comfy family haulers.. (which I've seen so many used for). I owned an ambulance conversion and liked it. These are vastly better.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 19, 2007, 09:51:50 PM
Hey Tave, I think these people are seriously f***ed in the head.? ?:lol:

:lol:

I'm guessing some of them don't have much wilderness experience.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on June 20, 2007, 08:09:15 AM
:lol:

I'm guessing some of them don't have much wilderness experience.
That Ford is a beast and I would love to take that thing up to my favourite lake.  I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Secret Chimp

Alright, is it just me, or are normal (on-road) conversion vans driven by and large by fat people?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TBR

On-road luxury please, the most comfortable form of wheeled transportation imho.