Driven: Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged

Started by Raza , June 20, 2007, 04:23:03 AM

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on June 20, 2007, 10:56:36 PM
I remember seeing someone almost stall an Elise in the Starbucks parking lot.  It made me want to laugh and cry at the same time. 

Face it, competence goes a long way.

Everyone messes up now and then.  Just the other day I was in the city in a traffic jam and I was great.  Didn't have a single problem.  Once I got back near my house, while stopped at a light, my foot slipped off the clutch.

:huh:

Shit happens.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9734.msg484555#msg484555 date=1182420976
Everyone messes up now and then.? Just the other day I was in the city in a traffic jam and I was great.? Didn't have a single problem.? Once I got back near my house, while stopped at a light, my foot slipped off the clutch.

:huh:

Shit happens.
Yup.  I've stalled the Mustang a couple times when it couldn't possibly be any less embarassing.

Champ

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 21, 2007, 07:38:22 AM
Yup. I've stalled the Mustang a couple times when it couldn't possibly be any less embarassing.
Even if others don't see it, it's still about the ego!

Tave

I've driven manuals exclusively for almost a decade and I still make the odd stupid mistake.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Tave on June 21, 2007, 08:10:33 AM
I've driven manuals exclusively for almost a decade and I still make the odd stupid mistake.

x2. No one is perfect. I've stalled my GTI once or twice when not paying attention.

The nice thing about manuals is they force you to pay attention if you want to avoid looking like a schmuck.  :lol:

JYODER240

Haha, one time I was at a light and there was a couple girls in a car heading the other way. They were all looking at me and the light turned green when I wasn't payed attention and I took my foot off the clutch to quickly. I was so embarassed.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Tave

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 21, 2007, 08:16:12 AM
The nice thing about manuals is they force you to pay attention if you want to avoid looking like a schmuck.? :lol:

Nothing makes me feel like as much of a douchebag as grinding a gear. I'm about ready to castrate myself when I do that.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Tave on June 21, 2007, 08:20:27 AM
Nothing makes me feel like as much of a douchebag as grinding a gear. I'm about ready to castrate myself when I do that.

I've done that too.  :lol:

The thing about my clutch is that I only need to depress it maybe 1/4 of the way down to be able to shift, so when I am driving I just naturally tend to put the clutch in just enough to be able to shift. Occasionally, it ain't quite enough and I will grind a gear.  :banghead:

Tave

Yeah, you get so familiar with the friction point that sometimes you cheat a little, and the car makes you pay.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 21, 2007, 08:26:17 AM
I've done that too.? :lol:

The thing about my clutch is that I only need to depress it maybe 1/4 of the way down to be able to shift, so when I am driving I just naturally tend to put the clutch in just enough to be able to shift. Occasionally, it ain't quite enough and I will grind a gear.? :banghead:

Really?  I remember the contact point on the GTI's clutch to be really low down in the travel.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on June 21, 2007, 08:19:32 AM
Haha, one time I was at a light and there was a couple girls in a car heading the other way. They were all looking at me and the light turned green when I wasn't payed attention and I took my foot off the clutch to quickly. I was so embarassed.

When that goes well, thoguh, it's amazing.  I saw some kids digging the ride the other day, so I tore off, snapped their heads back, and chirped them going into second.  They got whiplash.

:devil:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9734.msg484671#msg484671 date=1182437459
Really?? I remember the contact point on the GTI's clutch to be really low down in the travel.

I am sure there is some variation, but mine (and the one I test drove) have it right near the top. My Audi A4 was the same way so it never bothered me on the GTI.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 21, 2007, 08:52:23 AM
I am sure there is some variation, but mine (and the one I test drove) have it right near the top. My Audi A4 was the same way so it never bothered me on the GTI.

Whoa.  The first time I drove the GTI, I stalled it right off, because as I was feeling out the clutch, I just got off the floor and it went. 

The Boxster's is about halfway up. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

Quote from: Tave on June 21, 2007, 08:20:27 AM

+1 :banghead:

S204STi

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9734.msg484675#msg484675 date=1182437619
Whoa.? The first time I drove the GTI, I stalled it right off, because as I was feeling out the clutch, I just got off the floor and it went.?

The Boxster's is about halfway up.?

Mine engages pretty close to the top,which actually is a little harder for me to drive smoothly than if it engaged in the middle.  Getting out in first is ok unless I am trying to really get on it, in which case I find that occasionally I slip the clutch a little too much, and then bog it... the other result is that if I get too hasty in my upshifts they can be a little herky-jerky.

Then again, I am getting better...I have been driving mainly automatics since I was 16, so for the last 7 years pretty much.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9734.msg484671#msg484671 date=1182437459
Really?? I remember the contact point on the GTI's clutch to be really low down in the travel.
Maybe that's why he grinds the gears.   :lol:

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on June 21, 2007, 09:12:19 AM
Mine engages pretty close to the top,which actually is a little harder for me to drive smoothly than if it engaged in the middle.? Getting out in first is ok unless I am trying to really get on it, in which case I find that occasionally I slip the clutch a little too much, and then bog it... the other result is that if I get too hasty in my upshifts they can be a little herky-jerky.

Then again, I am getting better...I have been driving mainly automatics since I was 16, so for the last 7 years pretty much.

Yeah, I remember the WRX's being pretty high up.  I found it annoying on hills.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=9734.msg484673#msg484673 date=1182437540
When that goes well, thoguh, it's amazing.? I saw some kids digging the ride the other day, so I tore off, snapped their heads back, and chirped them going into second.? They got whiplash.

:devil:

My favorite is to pass someone that has their windows down. It's so loud in their car as I go past that it usually scares them.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

the Teuton

Admittedly, I stalled once when I was going to work yesterday (not in my car), but I also don't drive stick that often.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

MexicoCityM3

Everyone I have let drive the M3 stalls the car on the first start, including myself when I got it initially.

The 1st to 2nd shift is also very easy to grind if you do it too fast or if the gearbox is cold.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

the Teuton

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 21, 2007, 10:30:28 PM
Everyone I have let drive the M3 stalls the car on the first start, including myself when I got it initially.

The 1st to 2nd shift is also very easy to grind if you do it too fast or if the gearbox is cold.

The tranny probably isn't quite like the 5 speed in the E36 M3.  I could imagine the gear spacing is a little different.  I thought it was a little notchy shifting, but the clutch wasn't that bad to catch on with.  I did stall it, though.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

omicron

Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and........

:ohyeah:

the Teuton

omicron

Quote from: the Teuton on June 21, 2007, 11:08:13 PM
...Holden?

'Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet!', which was then taken by Holden and made into 'Football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars'.

[/random history lesson]

The Civic Si is for people named Ryan in an IT degree. I'll send Raza some ill-fitting cargo pants and a woollen sweater if he prances about in a new Civic Si over a Cobalt SS.

Champ

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 21, 2007, 10:30:28 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't stalled any of the 20 or so different (E46? Bad with those model era #'s) M3's I have driven.

I remember them being relatively easy to get moving.  Is it just yours or?

Raza

Quote from: omicron on June 21, 2007, 11:13:19 PM
'Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet!', which was then taken by Holden and made into 'Football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars'.

[/random history lesson]

The Civic Si is for people named Ryan in an IT degree. I'll send Raza some ill-fitting cargo pants and a woollen sweater if he prances about in a new Civic Si over a Cobalt SS.

I don't wear cargo pants, but I could do with a nice cardigan.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Raza

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 22, 2007, 08:27:57 AM
Good writing, Raza. Thanks.

You're welcome!

I saw that you drove the standard Cobalt with an auto 'box and you seemed to like it, at least a little bit.  I've never driven a Cavalier, but from what people say, this is leagues away from where that was, apparently.

The only thing (one of two, if I'm truly being honest) that's holding me back is the fact that I can get a 2004 GTO for the same or less money, and that only gets 1mpg worse highway (and lacks a sunroof), but adds 145bhp and RWD, accompanied by better looks as well. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm confused, are you actually looking to buy a cobalt ss raza?